A-Z: A

Building
Adams Alumni Center
1266 Oread Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The redbrick classical-style building, designed by Kiene & Bradley Architectural Partnership of Topeka, was dedicated May 14, 1983, in the centennial year of the Alumni Association. The association had been housed in Fraser and Strong halls, Sudler House and the Kansas Union before the new center was built. An alumni fund drive raised $4.2 million for construction, and the KU Endowment Association donated a site northeast of the Kansas Union.

Building
Allen Fieldhouse
1651 Naismith Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

The fieldhouse, which opened March 1, 1955, is named for Forrest C. "Phog" Allen, longtime basketball coach who played for and was trained by James Naismith, the game's founder, a longtime KU professor of physical culture and its first basketball coach. The fieldhouse and its basketball court, now named for Naismith, superseded the facilities at the original Robinson Gymnasium, built in 1907 and razed in the late 1960s, and Hoch Auditorium, where games were played from 1927 to 1955. Like those facilities, the fieldhouse also has been the site of concerts and university functions.

Artwork
Alumni Jayhawk/The Kansas Jayhawk
Adams Alumni Center
Lawrence, KS

Peter Fillerup, 1983

John and Virginia Walsh Eulich of Dallas, both 1951 alumni, commissioned this version of the Jayhawk for the Adams Alumni Center, 13th Street and Oread Avenue. It was dedicated Nov. 19, 1983, about six months after the center opened.

Fountain
Alumni Place Fountain
East of Miller and Watkins scholarship halls
Lawrence, KS

At the suggestion in 1953 of Chancellor Franklin D. Murphy, a large cast-stone fountain was purchased with $1,300 in private funds from the Erkins Studio in New York. It was placed in a circular terrace surrounded by three benches at the south end of Alumni Place; Facilities Planning landscaped the site, near the retaining wall behind Miller and Watkins scholarship halls. By 1981, deterioration had so damaged the fountain that an exact replica was made by Erkins, and it was reinstalled.

Building
Ambler Student Recreation Fitness Center
1740 Watkins Center Dr
Lawrence, KS 66046

Increasing demand for both educational and recreational sports facilities spurred the decision in the late 1990s to build a new student center. The $17-million facility south of Watkins Memorial Health Center, funded by student fees, was dedicated Sept. 25, 2003. In December 2007, it was named in honor of David A. Ambler, the longtime vice chancellor for student affairs who was a strong advocate for a new recreation fitness center.

Building
Anderson Family Football Complex
1146 Fambrough Way
Lawrence, KS 66044

The $31-million football complex adjacent to Memorial Stadium, begun in October 2006, opened in August 2008. HNTB Architecture of Kansas City, Mo., oversaw plans for the 80,000-square-foot complex. It includes academic areas; locker rooms; facilities for weight and cardio training, hydrotherapy, audio-visual screenings and nutrition; coaches’ offices; two practice fields; and new parking lots. The roof of the weight room, about 20,000 square feet, is bermed into the hill to the southwest of the stadium and covered with grass.

Building
Anderson Family Strength and Conditioning Center
1575 Irving Hill Rd
Lawrence, KS 66045

Named for Dana, a 1959 business graduate, and Sue Anderson of Los Angeles and their family, longtime KU supporters and its chief donors, the 42,000-square-foot facility at the northwest corner of Anschutz Sports Pavilion was dedicated April 19, 2003. It is used by all athletic department sports and houses the strength and conditioning department staff offices; weight, exercise and conditioning rooms; and conference and tutoring rooms.

Building
Anschutz Library
1301 Hoch Auditoria Dr
Lawrence, KS 66045

Dedicated Oct. 7, 1989, it is named in honor of Fred and Marian Anschutz, parents of Philip Anschutz, a 1961 business alumnus and entrepreneur in telecommunications, entertainment and media companies, sports teams and arenas, railroads, and real estate. He and his wife, Nancy, gave $6.5 million for an endowed library acquisitions fund.

Building
Anschutz Sports Pavilion
1575 Irving Hill Rd
Lawrence, KS 66045

The pavilion is named for Fred Anschutz, a 1933 alumnus who was its chief donor, and was dedicated Oct. 27, 1984. It houses practice areas for football, track, softball/baseball and soccer; the Ray Evans Football Field and Bill Easton Track practice areas; and the Shaffer-Holland Strength Center, superseded in March 2003 by the Anderson Family Strength and Conditioning Center.

Artwork
Jayhawk/Academic Jay
In front of Strong Hall
Lawrence, KS

Elden C. Tefft, 1958

This distinctive Jayhawk was commissioned by the Class of 1956 and designed and cast by Elden C. Tefft, professor of sculpture. He has said he was inspired by the sharp-beaked “fighting Jayhawks” that were mascots from 1929 to 1946, but the statue also has been called “the Pterodactyl.”

Building
K.K. Amini Scholarship Hall
1318 Louisiana St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

Named for Koli K. "K.K." Amini, a 1949 petroleum engineering graduate whose gift of $1 million funded its construction, the hall was built in 1992. It houses 50 men in three- or four-person suites. Gould Evans Associates of Lawrence designed it and its twin, Margaret Amini Scholarship Hall.

Building
Margaret Amini Scholarship Hall
1312 Louisiana St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

Named for Margaret Wenski Amini, 1946 journalism graduate who with her husband, K.K. Amini, gave $1.5 million for its construction, the hall opened in 2000. It houses 52 women and is the architectural twin of the adjacent K.K. Amini Scholarship Hall.

 


Filter by
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
—ALA
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times