A-Z: B

Building
Baehr Audio-Reader Center
1120 W 11th St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

The Audio-Reader Center opened in November 1988 after the original 1910 building—formerly the Phi Kappa Theta fraternity house—was renovated by von Achen Chartered Architects. The center, a statewide reading service for blind and visually impaired people staffed largely by volunteer readers, is named for the Louis and Dolpha Baehr Charitable Foundation of Paola, KS, a major donor to its programs.

Building
Bailey Hall
1440 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

Bailey Hall, completed in 1900, was designed by John G. Haskell and built in response to surging enrollments in chemistry and pharmacy that made the 1883 Chemistry Hall (“the Shack”), also designed by Haskell, too small and outdated.

Building
Battenfeld Scholarship Hall
1425 Alumni Place
Lawrence, KS 66044

This hall housing 48 students was the first men’s residence hall built at the university. It was the gift of Mr. and Mrs. J.R. Battenfeld of Kansas City in memory of their son John Curry Battenfeld, killed in a car accident in December 1939. Designed by Morton Payne and Russell Field of Kansas City, the three-story Georgian brick building opened in September 1940.

Building
Bioscience and Technology Business Center
2029 Becker Drive
Lawrence, KS 66047

Gould Evans Associates of Lawrence designed this two-story, 20,000-square-foot building northwest of the School of Pharmacy, and construction began in fall 2009. The $7.25-million building houses laboratories and office space for start-up companies, emerging technology businesses, and collaborations involving KU researchers and large technology firms.

Building
Blake Hall
1541 Lilac Lane
Lawrence, KS 66045

The first hall on this site was a physics building designed by State Architect Seymour Davis in imitation of a French chateau admired by its namesake, physics professor Lucien I. Blake. A dapper man with a vivacious personality, Blake was also a noted scientist in electricity, thermodynamics and X-rays. The building housed classrooms, labs and auditoria when it was completed in 1895 south of Old Fraser Hall; it was superseded in 1954 when physics and other science departments moved to Malott Hall.

Building
Boathouse
220 Indiana St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

Opened at ceremonies Feb. 28, 2009, that also acknowledged the 40th anniversary of women’s athletics at KU, the 16,000-square-foot boathouse was designed by Peterson Architects of Cambridge, Mass., and Treanor Architects of Lawrence.

Building
Booth Family Hall of Athletics
Allen Fieldhouse
1651 Naismith Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

The two-story, 26,000-square-foot facility on the east face of the fieldhouse was designed by HOK Sport+Venue+Event of Kansas City, Mo., and opened Jan. 21, 2006. It houses a hall of fame for Kansas athletes and sports, with a special emphasis on the contributions of James Naismith, inventor of basketball, KU's first basketball coach and a longtime faculty member; and Forrest C. "Phog" Allen, KU's great coach, who played for Naismith. The hall also includes the ticket office; www.kustore.com; and donor, alumni and recruiting meeting rooms.

Building
Bridwell Botany Research Laboratory
2031 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047

Francis H. Snow, one of the first three professors at the university, held the natural history chair and founded KU’s botanical collection, which was housed in old and new Snow halls. Ronald L. McGregor, herbarium director 1954-88, oversaw a huge expansion in specimens, and to accommodate it the collection was moved to this 9,000-square-foot redbrick building in the West District, designed by George Beal, in 1966. The research laboratory and herbarium are affiliated with the Natural History Museum & Biodiversity Institute.

Building
Broadcasting Hall KPR
1120 E 11th St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

Opened in September 2003, the building houses Kansas Public Radio, a consortium of Kansas public-radio stations of which KANU 91.5-FM is the flagship. It has five production studios, a music library, and a performance hall seating 50. It was funded by donations from Hortense Oldfather, the Sunderland Foundation and the Endowment Association; von Achen Chartered Architects designed the structure, which adjoins the Baehr Audio-Reader Center.

Building
Budig Hall/Hoch Auditoria
1455 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

Named for Gene A. Budig, chancellor 1981-94, and dedicated Oct. 31, 1997, it replaced the building that was designed in the Collegiate Gothic style by State Architect Charles D. Cuthbert and that opened as University Auditorium in 1927; it was named in 1938 for former Kansas Gov. Edward W. Hoch (1905-09).

Building
Burge Union
1565 Irving Hill Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

The original Burge Union, which opened in 1979, closed in March 2016 and was razed. A new building, also named for longtime director of the KU unions Frank Burge, replaces it. Costing $13 million and funded mostly by student fees, it will have about 33,000 square feet in 1.5 stories and a basement. It will house a conference area, KU Legal Services for Students, the Sexual Assault Prevention & Education Center, the Emily Taylor Center for Women & Gender Equity, a Reflection Room, a lactation room, and a coffee shop and convenience store. Completion is planned for summer 2018.


One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
—ALA
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times