A-Z: D

Building
Danforth Chapel
1405 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

William H. Danforth, chair of Ralston Purina Co., provided the largest donation for the chapel through his foundation; the rest of the funding and most of the furnishings were donated by faculty, students, alumni, and Lawrence residents.

Edward W. Tanner of Kansas City, MO, KU’s first architectural engineering graduate in 1916 and principal designer for the J.C. Nichols Co. of Kansas City, MO, 1919-64, designed the 90-seat Gothic Revival structure.

Building
DeBruce Center
1647 Naismith Drive
Lawrence , KS 66045

The center houses Dr. James Naismith's original "Rules of Basket Ball" and has a student center, the Courtside Cafe and a coffee bar, a gift shop, a nutrition center for the men's and women's basketball teams, and meeting rooms.

The three-story, $21.7-million building adjoins the northeast corner of Allen Feldhouse and the Booth Family Hall of Athletics and abuts the Allen Fieldhouse Parking Garage.

Fountain
Docking Family Gateway
13th Street and Oread Avenue
Lawrence, KS

Alumni Jill S. Docking and Tom Docking of Wichita gave $500,000 toward the construction of a gateway at the northeast edge of the main campus, near the Kansas Union. It comprises a fountain, brick pylon and plantings fitted into an oval stone surround.

The Dockings’ children and his brother, William, also are alumni, as were his father and grandfather, former Kansas governors Robert Docking (1967-75) and George Docking (1957-61); and his mother, Meredith Gear Docking. Tom Docking was lieutenant governor of Kansas 1983-87.

 

Building
Dole Human Development Center
1000 Sunnyside Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The center was dedicated Aug. 25, 1990, and named in honor of Kansas Sen. Robert J. Dole, an advocate for people with disabilities.

Kiene & Bradley Design Group designed the $12 million classroom and clinic space, which houses undergraduate and graduate departments and research and training centers, including the Department of Applied Behavioral Science, the Life Span Institute, the Edna A. Hill Child Development Center, the Sunnyside Toddler Program, and the Department of Speech-Language-Hearing: Sciences & Disorders.

Building
Dole Institute of Politics
2350 Petefish Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

This west campus building, dedicated in July 2003, is named for former Kansas Sen. Robert J. Dole. The $11 million, 28,000-square-foot facility, designed by ASIA of Lenexa, houses papers from Dole’s 35-year career and is the world’s largest congressional archive.

The institute sponsors public and educational programs in bipartisan civic education and leadership training; it has seminar and meeting rooms, broadcast facilities, and exhibits on Dole’s life and career as well as on specific historical or political topics.

Building
Douthart Scholarship Hall
1345 Louisiana St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

This hall has 12 suites comprising bedrooms and study areas. It opened in 1954 and was largely funded by the gift of Burt Chronister of Kansas City, Kan., in memory of his wife, Ava Douthart Chronister, a 1901 graduate, and her sister Lela Douthart, an 1899 alumna. The architect was Raymond Coolidge.

Building
Dyche Hall
1345 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

One of KU’s signature buildings, Dyche Hall was built as the Museum of Natural History in 1901-02 to a design by Kansas City architects Walter C. Root and George W. Siemens; they used the Venetian Romanesque style characteristic of southern European churches of 1050-1200.

Artwork
Dyche Hall Grotesques
Dyche Hall
Lawrence, KS

Joseph Robaldo Frazee and Vitruvius Frazee, 1901-02

Master mason and sculptor Joseph Robaldo Frazee and his son Vitruvius Frazee carved the 12 creatures that sat on pedestals lining the seventh floor of Dyche Hall in 1901 and 1902.

The cottonwood limestone statues, each 44 inches tall, resemble the gargoyles used on medieval buildings to disguise drainpipes; the Dyche creatures are “grotesques,” because they lack the pipe and spout that permit gargoyles to function as downspouts.


One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
—ALA
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times