A-Z: H

Building
Budig Hall/Hoch Auditoria
1455 Jayhawk Blvd
Lawrence, KS 66045

Named for Gene A. Budig, chancellor 1981-94, and dedicated Oct. 31, 1997, it replaced the building that was designed in the Collegiate Gothic style by State Architect Charles D. Cuthbert and that opened as University Auditorium in 1927; it was named in 1938 for former Kansas Gov. Edward W. Hoch (1905-09).

Building
Hall Center for the Humanities
900 Sunnyside Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The center, dedicated April 9, 2005, incorporates nine limestone arches and the walls from KU’s oldest surviving structure, the 1887 Powerhouse designed by John G. Haskell. The center includes a 120-seat conference room, seminar room and offices for Hall Center staff and research fellows. It was built with a $4.07 million gift from the Hall Family Foundation and state and private funds.

Building
Hambleton Hall
1930 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047

This 1983 addition to Moore Hall includes an auditorium seating 45 and is named for William W. Hambleton, alumnus/faculty member, state geologist and KGS director 1970-87. It houses the Publication Sales division of the KGS, the Data Access and Support program and public data and library services.

Building
Hashinger Residence Hall
1632 Engel Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

This 1962 Daisy Hill residence hall, named for Margaret Battenfeld Hashinger, houses about 370 men and women since major renovations in 2005-06. It has a performing-arts focus and offers studio, rehearsal and performance space for residents.

Building
Haworth Hall
1200 Sunnyside Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The first Haworth Hall opened in fall 1909 and housed the departments of geology and mineralogy, whose chair 1892-1920 was Erasmus Haworth. An 1881 and 1884 alumnus who founded the Kansas Geological Survey in 1894, Haworth who was known to his students as “Daddy.” 

Building
Higuchi Hall
2101 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047

Named for Takeru Higuchi, Regents Distinguished Professor of Chemistry and Pharmacy 1967-87, the building was completed in 1969; major renovations were done in 1989. It now houses the Kansas Biological Survey (KBS), a research and service unit whose programs and activities range from aquatic and terrestrial ecology to remote sensing.

KBS research units housed in Higuchi include the Central Plains Center for Bioassessment, the Kansas Applied Remote Sensing Program, the KU Field Station, the Native Medicinal Plant Research Program and Reservoir Assessment.

 

Building
Hill Engineering Research & Development Center
2035 Becker Drive
Lawrece, KS 66045

Completed in June 2013 by the School of Architecture, Design & Planning’s Studio 804 design/build class, this advanced research facility houses KU EcoHawks, a School of Engineering student program that focuses on sustainable energy approaches for automobiles and infrastructure. The open structure, divided into two enclosed pods and one open-air pod, incorporates aluminum recycled from a Wichita airplane manufacturer and glass from a Kansas City, Mo., building project, Aerogel insulating panels, and photovoltaic panels on the entry canopy.

Building
Hilltop Child Development Center
1605 Irving Hill Road
Child Care Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

This $3.3 million, 18,000-square-foot facility opened south of Burge Union in August 2000. It offers day care and educational programs for toddlers through sixth-graders on site as well as programs at three Lawrence elementary schools. Children of students, faculty, staff and affiliates may enroll.

Outdoor Recreation
Hoglund ballpark
1545 Allen Fieldhouse Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

The first baseball field on this site south of Allen Fieldhouse, built in 1958, was named for Earnest Q. Quigley, KU athletic director 1944-50, a National League umpire and a football and basketball official.

Building
Horejsi Family Athletics Center
1550 Allen Fieldhouse Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

The 16,500-square-foot facility, completed in 1999 at the southwest corner of the fieldhouse, was funded by Stewart Horejsi of Salina, a 1959 graduate, and named for his family. It houses volleyball practice and competition courts, enlarged and remodeled in a 2009 project at Allen Fieldhouse.


Filter by
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
—ALA
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times