A-Z: I

Artwork
Icarus
Southeast entrance to Nichols Hall
Lawrence, KS

Charles Umlauf, 1964

The sculpture, mounted on a black-granite base at the southeast entrance to Nichols Hall in the West District, is drawn from the Greek myth of Daedalus and his son. Icarus.

They tried to escape imprisonment on the isle of Crete by flying on wings whose feathers were attached with wax. Icarus was so exhilarated by flying that he rose too close to the sun, which melted the wax; he is portrayed as he plunges from the sky.

Building
Integrated Science Building
1567 Irving Hill Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

By fall 2018, the Integrated Science Building — the centerpiece of the $350-million, 55-acre Central District redevelopment project — will be open for classes and research.

The 280,000-square-foot facility, designed by Perkins + Will architectural firm and costing $117 million, provides adaptable laboratory and teaching spaces designed to encourage learning and interdisciplinary research in chemistry, medicinal chemistry, physics, molecular biosciences and related fields.

Building
International House
704 W. 12th St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

International House, a residence for visiting scholars, was dedicated Feb. 9, 2008. Formerly the home of longtime business professor Frank Pinet and his family, the house was given to the university in 2001 and had been a residence and offices for visiting faculty and others.

The renovated, furnished house offers five private bedrooms and shared living areas that include a kitchen, dining room, gathering rooms, office space and laundry facilities.

Artwork
Interstate 70
Marvin Grove
Lawrence, KS

Richard Hollander, 1981

The Spencer Museum of Art purchased this abstract sculpture in 1981, after it had been on loan. Kansas City artist Richard Hollander (1911-91) fabricated the work of welded steel painted black in 1970; it is 21.5 feet long, 5 feet high and 4 feet wide. Its three groupings of discs connected by rectangular bars represent the experience of traveling on the interstate highway. It is sited in Marvin Grove about midway between Bailey Hall on the south and the art museum on the north.


One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
—ALA
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times