A-Z: J

Artwork
Jayhawk
Templin Hall
Entrance to KU Visitor Center
Lawrence, KS

Mike Elwell 

This flat-panel bronze of a Jayhawk in profile at the Visitor Center is a gift of the Class of 1999. Elwell ia an alumnus who holds a 1964 undergraduate degree and a 1967 law degree.

Artwork
Jayhawk/Academic Jay
In front of Strong Hall
Lawrence, KS

Elden C. Tefft, 1958

This distinctive Jayhawk in front of Strong Hall was commissioned by the Class of 1956 and designed and cast by Elden C. Tefft, professor of sculpture. He has said he was inspired by the sharp-beaked “fighting Jayhawks” that were mascots from 1929 to 1946, but the statue also has been called “the Pterodactyl.”

Building
Jayhawker Towers Apartments
1603 W. 15th St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

This apartment complex, opened Sept. 30, 1969, was bought by KU in 1980. It is designed for single, nontraditional, upper-classmen or transfer students in four towers; a fifth tower has a service center, commons and Academic Resource Center. All apartments are two-bedroom and shared by either two or four residents. The project, designed by Woodward & Cape of Dallas, was the brainchild of alumni K.S. Adams, W.W. Keeler, and Stanley Learned.

Building
Joseph R. Pearson Hall (JRP)
1122 West Campus Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

One of five residence and scholarship halls funded by a 1945 bequest from Joseph R. and Gertrude Sellards Pearson, it was designed by State Architect John E. Brink and opened in January 1959 as a men’s hall; it closed in the early 1990s.


One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
—ALA
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times