A-Z: K

Building
K.K. Amini Scholarship Hall
1318 Louisiana St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

Named for Koli K. "K.K." Amini, a 1949 petroleum engineering graduate whose gift of $1 million funded its construction, the hall was built in 1992. It houses 50 men in three- or four-person suites. Gould Evans Associates of Lawrence designed it and its twin, Margaret Amini Scholarship Hall.

Building
Kansas Union
1301 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The need for a central meeting, entertainment and food service building had been discussed for several years before planning began for a union and stadium to honor the students, faculty, staff and alumni who died in World War I. Fund-raising for the Million Dollar Drive began in late 1920, and by late 1921 the first sections of a new stadium were completed on the site of McCook Field below Marvin Grove.

Artwork
Korean War Memorial
Memorial Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

This memorial, honoring 44 members of the university community who died in that conflict, was dedicated April 16, 2005. The brick and stone terrace overlooks Potter Lake west of the campanile. Its centerpiece is a 7-foot copper sculpture, “Korean Cranes Rising,” by design professor Jon Havener. The four entwined cranes, ancient symbols of peace in the Korean culture, represent the four nations in the conflict: the United States, China, North Korea and South Korea.

Building
Krehbiel Scholarship Hall
1301 Ohio St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

Alumnus Carl Krehbiel of Moundridge, Kan., donated $4 million to KU Endowment to fund a men’s scholarship hall in honor of his parents, alumni Kathyrn Krehbiel and the late Floyd H. Krehbiel.

Building
KU Endowment Building
1891 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047

KU Endowment, established in 1891, was the first foundation of its kind at a U.S. public university, and it remains one of the largest. It is independent and nonprofit and is the official fund-raising and fund-management organization for KU; it oversees gifts, bequests, endowments, property and other assets for the university.

Building
Kurata Thermodynamics Laboratories
2330 Crowell Drive
Lawrence, KS 66047

The 5,000-square-foot building, dedicated Oct. 27, 1990, was designed by Hicks-Messick & Associates of Lawrence. It is named for Fred Kurata, a professor of chemical and petroleum engineering 1947-78 who held two distinguished professorships and was a leader in thermodynamics research. This building replaced facilities near 15th and Iowa streets that were razed when the Lied Center was built. It houses experimental and analytical labs; safety areas; computer and conference areas; a library; and mechanical areas.

Building
Max Kade Center for German-American Studies
1134 W. 11th St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

Bequeathed to KU by the estate of Dr. Mervin T. Sudler (1874-1956), Lawrence physician, professor of anatomy, and dean of the Medical School 1921-24, this limestone house was built for him in 1927 by the Kansas City architectural firm of Buckley & van Brunt. It housed Audio-Reader and Architectural Services; the nearby garage, known as "the Shack," housed KJHK, the student radio station, from 1975 to 2010.


Filter by
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
—ALA
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times