A-Z: M

Building
David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium
1101 Mississippi St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

Dedicated Nov. 11, 1922, to honor the 127 men and two women from the university's students, faculty, staff, and alumni who died in World War I, the stadium has been renamed the David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium in honor of an alumnus who has donated $50 million toward the estimated $350 million cost of major renovations to the football stadium and other athletic facilities.

Building
Maintenance & Surplus Property
2303 Bob Billings Parkway
Lawrence, KS 66049

This facility is used for construction and maintenance projects and storage of tools, equipment and supplies by the Student Housing department.

Building
Maintenance Shop
1505 Westbrooke
Lawrence, KS 66049

Part of the Facilities Operations Complex, this building houses offices and shops for carpenters, painters, plumbers, steamfitters, lock shop, moving crew, storage, recycling facilities, etc.

Building
Malott Hall
1251 Wescoe Hall Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

At its dedication Nov. 5, 1954, this limestone building was named in honor of Deane W. Malott, the dynamic native Kansan and 1921 economics and journalism alumnus who was the eighth chancellor (1939-51). A huge addition designed by Peters, Williams & Kubota of Lawrence was dedicated April 10, 1981.

Building
Marvin Hall
1465 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

State Architect John F. Stanton designed this Oread limestone building, which opened in 1909 at what was then the extreme west end of campus.

It was named for Frank O. Marvin, first dean of engineering (1891-1913), son of third chancellor James Marvin (1874-83) and a noted artist and musician.

Building
Marvin Studios
1400 Hoch Auditoria Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

This small, winged building south of Marvin Hall was designed by State Architects Ray Stookley and Charles L. Marshall and built in 1942 by Works Progress Administration and National Youth Administration crews.

It innovative technology of rammed earth and concrete bricks was developed by engineering Professor W.C. McNown, and it was from the first known as “the Mud Hut.” 

Building
Max Kade Center for German-American Studies
1134 W. 11th St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

Bequeathed to KU by the estate of Dr. Mervin T. Sudler (1874-1956), Lawrence physician, professor of anatomy, and dean of the Medical School 1921-24, this limestone house was built for him in 1927 by the Kansas City architectural firm of Buckley & van Brunt.

Building
McCollum Laboratory
2095 Constant Ave
Lawrence, KS 66047

Named for Burton McCollum (1880-1964), a 1903 graduate in electrical engineering who made pioneering discoveries in sound-wave exploration and geophysics, this interdisciplinary research facility was funded by his estate and by income from more than 30 patents.

Part of the Higuchi Biosciences Center, it opened in May 1971 and was expanded in 1973. State Architect James Canole oversaw the project. 

Building
McCollum Residence Hall
1800 Engel Road
Lawrence, KS 66045
The largest residence hall for men and women on Daisy Hill opened in 1965 was demolished in November 2015.
 
It was named for brothers Elmer V. and Burton McCollum, alumni and distinguished scientists who grew up in Lawrence.

Building
Memorial Campanile & Carillon
1450 Memorial Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

After World War II, Chancellor Deane Malott and others were determined to build a memorial to members of the KU community who died in the conflict. They did not want it simply to fulfill a need, as was the case with the union and the stadium after World War I.

A badly needed fieldhouse was among the proposals, but a bell tower, or campanile, was decided on, and a fund drive began as World War II ended.

Point of interest
Memorial Drive
Memorial Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

This W-shaped drive runs from West Campus Road east to Mississippi Street north of Snow, Strong and Bailey halls. It was designed to complement the Memorial Campanile, honoring the 277 KU alumni, students, faculty and staff who died in World War II and the more than 7,000 who served.

Building
Military Science Building
1520 Summerfield Hall Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

Construction began in spring 1941 on this Works Progress Administration project and was completed by legislative appropriations after the WPA was disbanded.

The building — faced with limestone from old Snow Hall, demolished in 1934 — was completed Nov. 1, 1943.

It houses the Reserve Officer Training Corps programs of the the U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, and the U.S. Navy; a rifle range and artillery storage; a drill room; classrooms; and offices.

Building
Miller Scholarship Hall
1518 Lilac Lane
Lawrence, KS 66044

In 1936 Elizabeth Miller Watkins donated $75,000 to build a twin immediately south of Watkins Scholarship Hall, which she had financed in 1925. The building was named for her brother, Frank C. Miller, a KU student in the 1880s.

Building
Moore Hall
1930 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047

This building, housing the Kansas Geological Survey, was designed by Thomas, Johnson, Isley and dedicated Feb. 2, 1973.

It is named for Raymond C. Moore (1892-1974), state geologist, KGS director 1916-54 and a faculty member 1916-62; he was a Summerfield Distinguished Professor, chair of geology and a leading scholar/editor in invertebrate paleontology.

The hall houses the KGS geohydrology and exploration services sections, along with Public Outreach and administration.

Artwork
Moses
Front of Smith Hall
Lawrence, KS

Elden C. Tefft, 1982

This filigreed bronze, evoking the image on the University seal, was planned to complement the stained-glass window “Burning Bush,” designed by Smith Hall architect Charles L. Marshall of Topeka.

The window was donated by Mr. and Mrs. L. Allyn Laybourn in memory of his parents, the Rev. Lemuel and Susan M. Laybourn, and executed by Jacoby Studios of St. Louis.

Building
Multidisciplinary Research Building
2030 Becker Drive
Lawrence, KS 66047

Construction began on the $40 million, three-story research center in fall 2004, and it was dedicated March 6, 2006.

Housed in its 106,000 square feet are about 200 researchers, faculty, students, and staff in engineering, chemistry, biology,  geology, and other sciences doing collaborative research in bioinformatics, drug discovery, and nanoscience, among other fields.

The triangular building also houses laboratories; workrooms, offices and conference rooms; and research support spaces.

Building
Murphy Hall
1530 Naismith Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

A long campaign for a dedicated building for the performing arts culminated in 1957, when the music and theater departments moved into the new Murphy Hall.

It is named for Franklin Murphy, chancellor 1951-60 and a generous patron of the arts. The yellow-buff brick and crab-orchard limestone building was designed by Brinkman & Hagan of Emporia and dedicated Nov. 10, 1957.


One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
—ALA
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times