All

Building
Chalmers Hall
1467 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

This building to house visual arts studios, classrooms and academic offices was designed by Paul Krause, a 1956 alumnus and principal at Horner & Krause of Kansas City, KS. Construction began in 1977 on the hilltop south of Marvin Hall.

The structure of red brick had an open plan over steel trusses in 115,000 square feet; it absorbed “new” Fowler Shops, which had opened in 1949, adding about 26,600 square feet. Old mechanical engineering shops were razed to make way for the $5.75 million project, dedicated April 9, 1978.

Building
Chamney House
2545 Bob Billings Parkway
Lawrence, KS 66045

In September 1963, KU Endowment acquired this property of 130 acres, house, barn, and outbuildings from the Chamney family, leading Lawrence dairy farmers since 1912.

The School of Fine Arts used the house in the early 1970s for interior design classes and craft studios. It also housed the Center for Design Research until summer 2011, when a new, energy-efficient structure south of the house opened.

Building
Chancellor’s Residence 'The Outlook'
1532 Lilac Lane
Lawrence, KS 66044

In 1912, Lawrence banker Jabez B. Watkins (1845-1921) built the three-story, 26-room house, designed by W.J. Mitchell, for himself and his wife, Elizabeth Miller Watkins. She lived in the home until her death in 1939, bequeathing it to the university as a chancellor’s residence. It replaced the original brick chancellor’s residence at 1345 Louisiana St. 

Chancellor Deane W. Malott and his family were the first to live in the home. The first floor is used for receptions and other public functions; the upper stories are family living quarters. 

Fountain
Chi Omega Fountain
West end of Jayhawk Boulevard
Lawrence, KS

The fountain was authorized in October 1952 as a memorial to alumnae on the 50th anniversary of the founding of Lambda chapter at KU.

Students, alumni and friends donated about $5,000 to the construction fund; the balance of the $11,800 cost was contributed by KU Endowment’s Elizabeth M. Watkins Fund.

Artwork
Classic Jayhawk
In front of the Kansas Union
Lawrence, KS

Katie Kring, 2003

In 2003 the Lawrence Convention and Visitors Bureau sponsored “Jayhawks on Parade,” a five-month exhibit of 5-foot, molded fiberglass Jayhawks decorated in themes including Vincent van Gogh, patchwork quilts, cubism, mosaics, and abstractionism.

The 30 Jayhawks were decorated by area artists and placed around Lawrence; many later were auctioned for charity.

Building
Construction & Landscape Building
1603 Westbrooke St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

Part of the Facilities Services Complex, it has offices and shops for carpenters, painters, plumbers, steamfitters, lock shop, moving crew, storage, recycling facilities, etc.

Building
Corbin Residence Hall
420 W. 11th St. Lawrence
Lawrence, KS 66045

Opened in 1923 as the first residence hall at KU, the women’s hall was named in honor of Alberta Corbin, an 1893 alumna and professor of German who was a suffragist leader, adviser of women, and an advocate of women’s housing.

The original, south building, designed by State Architect Ray Gamble in the English colonial style, adjoins the site of the university’s first building, North College (1866). In 1951 North Corbin, housing 180 more women, opened; in 1958 the buildings were connected, and both were renovated in the 1990s.

Building
Crawford Community Center
1346 Louisiana St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

The 1892 home of Juanita Strait, bequeathed to KU Endowment at her death in 2002, was refurbished as a community center for the scholarship halls that surround it and an office and apartment for the complex director.

Mrs. Strait, a longtime piano teacher, was the widow of Reginald Strait, a physical education professor, and she befriended many scholarship-hall students. 

Building
Danforth Chapel
1405 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

William H. Danforth, chair of Ralston Purina Co., provided the largest donation for the chapel through his foundation; the rest of the funding and most of the furnishings were donated by faculty, students, alumni, and Lawrence residents.

Edward W. Tanner of Kansas City, MO, KU’s first architectural engineering graduate in 1916 and principal designer for the J.C. Nichols Co. of Kansas City, MO, 1919-64, designed the 90-seat Gothic Revival structure.

Building
David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium
1101 Mississippi St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

Dedicated Nov. 11, 1922, to honor the 127 men and two women from the university's students, faculty, staff, and alumni who died in World War I, the stadium has been renamed the David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium in honor of an alumnus who has donated $50 million toward the estimated $350 million cost of major renovations to the football stadium and other athletic facilities.

Building
DeBruce Center
1647 Naismith Drive
Lawrence , KS 66045

The center houses Dr. James Naismith's original "Rules of Basket Ball" and has a student center, the Courtside Cafe and a coffee bar, a gift shop, a nutrition center for the men's and women's basketball teams, and meeting rooms.

The three-story, $21.7-million building adjoins the northeast corner of Allen Feldhouse and the Booth Family Hall of Athletics and abuts the Allen Fieldhouse Parking Garage.

Building
Design Research, Center for
2544 Westbrooke Circle
Lawrence, KS 66047

This facility for collaborative research in sustainable energy, which adjoins Chamney House on the south, was dedicated July 16, 2011. A 1,820-square-foot, one-story stone building, it was funded by donations to and designed and built by about 20 students in Studio 804, a design/build program of the School of Architecture & Design.

Fountain
Docking Family Gateway
13th Street and Oread Avenue
Lawrence, KS

Alumni Jill S. Docking and Tom Docking of Wichita gave $500,000 toward the construction of a gateway at the northeast edge of the main campus, near the Kansas Union. It comprises a fountain, brick pylon and plantings fitted into an oval stone surround.

The Dockings’ children and his brother, William, also are alumni, as were his father and grandfather, former Kansas governors Robert Docking (1967-75) and George Docking (1957-61); and his mother, Meredith Gear Docking. Tom Docking was lieutenant governor of Kansas 1983-87.

 

Building
Dole Human Development Center
1000 Sunnyside Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The center was dedicated Aug. 25, 1990, and named in honor of Kansas Sen. Robert J. Dole, an advocate for people with disabilities.

Kiene & Bradley Design Group designed the $12 million classroom and clinic space, which houses undergraduate and graduate departments and research and training centers, including the Department of Applied Behavioral Science, the Life Span Institute, the Edna A. Hill Child Development Center, the Sunnyside Toddler Program, and the Department of Speech-Language-Hearing: Sciences & Disorders.

Building
Dole Institute of Politics
2350 Petefish Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

This west campus building, dedicated in July 2003, is named for former Kansas Sen. Robert J. Dole. The $11 million, 28,000-square-foot facility, designed by ASIA of Lenexa, houses papers from Dole’s 35-year career and is the world’s largest congressional archive.

The institute sponsors public and educational programs in bipartisan civic education and leadership training; it has seminar and meeting rooms, broadcast facilities, and exhibits on Dole’s life and career as well as on specific historical or political topics.

Building
Douthart Scholarship Hall
1345 Louisiana St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

This hall has 12 suites comprising bedrooms and study areas. It opened in 1954 and was largely funded by the gift of Burt Chronister of Kansas City, Kan., in memory of his wife, Ava Douthart Chronister, a 1901 graduate, and her sister Lela Douthart, an 1899 alumna. The architect was Raymond Coolidge.

Building
Downs Residence Hall
1517 W. 18th St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

This residence hall opened in fall 2017 as part of the Central District development. It houses women and men and is arranged in two- and four-bedroom suites. Features include a full kitchen, laundry rooms on each floor, and a recreation room. Residents may participate in an Academic Accelerator Program for international students.

Building
Dyche Hall
1345 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

One of KU’s signature buildings, Dyche Hall was built as the Museum of Natural History in 1901-02 to a design by Kansas City architects Walter C. Root and George W. Siemens; they used the Venetian Romanesque style characteristic of southern European churches of 1050-1200.

Artwork
Dyche Hall Grotesques
Dyche Hall
Lawrence, KS

Joseph Robaldo Frazee and Vitruvius Frazee, 1901-02

Master mason and sculptor Joseph Robaldo Frazee and his son Vitruvius Frazee carved the 12 creatures that sat on pedestals lining the seventh floor of Dyche Hall in 1901 and 1902.

The cottonwood limestone statues, each 44 inches tall, resemble the gargoyles used on medieval buildings to disguise drainpipes; the Dyche creatures are “grotesques,” because they lack the pipe and spout that permit gargoyles to function as downspouts.

Building
Earth, Energy & Environment Center
1414 and 1420 Naismith Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

The Earth, Energy & Environment Center opened in January 2018. The 141,000-square-foot interdisciplinary center designed by Gould Evans of Lawrence has auditoriums, classrooms, laboratories, and multipurpose spaces designed to foster collaboration among researchers, scientists, and students in geology, chemical and petroleum engineering, geophysics, energy, nanotechnology, and the environment.

Building
Eaton Hall
1520 W. 15th St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

This building in the engineering complex was dedicated Oct. 17, 2003, and named for major donor Robert J. Eaton, a 1963 alumnus and retired chair of DaimlerChrysler AG.

Eaton donated $5 million for the project, about one-third of the cost of the 80,000-square-foot hall, which was funded entirely through private donations. It was designed by Gould Evans Associates of Lawrence and is connected by an enclosed walkway to Learned Hall.

Building
Ekdahl Dining Center
1530 Engel Road 
Lawrence, KS 66045

Opened in 1983 and known as “Mrs. E’s,” it was named in 1993 for Lenoir D. Ekdahl, director of residence-hall food service for 35 years before her retirement in 1989.

The three-level dining center for the 3,300 students in Daisy Hill residence halls adjoins Lewis Residence Hall; it features food-court style service and seats about 700 diners.

Dining
Ekdahl Dining Center
1530 Engel Road Lawrence
Lawrence, KS 66045

Opened in 1983 and now known as “Mrs. E’s,” it was named in 1993 for Lenoir D. Ekdahl, director of residence-hall food service for 35 years before her retirement in 1989. The three-level dining center for the 3,300 students in Daisy Hill residence halls adjoins Lewis Hall; it features food-court style service and seats about 700 diners. A $5 million renovation completed in August 2013 included new equipment and furnishings, new food stations and revamped menus and food service.

Building
Ellsworth Residence Hall
1734 Engel Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

Built in 1963 as a men’s hall, it is named for Fred Ellsworth, a 1922 journalism alumnus who from 1924 to 1963 was secretary of the Alumni Association and editor of its Graduate Magazine. Remodeled in 2002-03, it houses men and women in two-person rooms, suites and studios.

Building
Engineering Structural Testing & Student Project Facility
2037 Becker Drive
Lawrence, KS 66047

This building incorporates a high bay facility for research, testing and developing large structural systems such as concrete piers or steel girder connections for bridges; and a student projects fabrication center for design competition teams and students in capstone design courses.

Faculty and students in several School of Engineering departments use the 24,700-square-foot building, completed in summer 2014.

Building
Facilities Administration Building
1503 Sunflower Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

The limestone main building was designed by Superintendent E.F. Crocker and constructed by the Buildings & Grounds Department in 1906. A second story and entry were added in 1926. The complex south of Stauffer-Flint Hall includes the 1922 power plant, designed by State Architect Ray Gamble and John Shea of B&G, and class whistle; offices and shops for Facilities Services units including plumbing, electrical, engineering, major systems and maintenance departments; and the main storeroom.
 

Pages


One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
—ALA
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times