All

Building
Watson Library
1425 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

Opened Sept. 11, 1924, this Collegiate Gothic-style limestone building was named for Carrie M. Watson, an 1877 and 1880 alumna who was university librarian 1887-1921. It was designed by George L. Chandler and State Architect Ray L. Gamble. Five structural additions were done between 1938 and 1963; chronic crowding and disorganization began to be alleviated by the completion of Spencer Research Library in 1968 and Anschutz Library in 1989.

Courtyard
Weaver Courtyard
Spooner Hall
Lawrence, KS 66045

The Arthur D. Weaver Memorial Fountain Court on the south side of Spooner Hall was dedicated June 20, 1960, in memory of the longtime Lawrence department-store owner. It was the gift of son Arthur B. Weaver and daughter Amarette W. Veatch and their families.

A fountain near the center held a sculpture, and several others were mounted in the courtyard. One piece, "Portrait of August Renoir" by Aristide Malliol, was stolen in 1967; the others were removed to storage.

Building
Wescoe Hall
1445 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

In the 1960s Chancellor W. Clarke Wescoe (1960-69) began lobbying for a central humanities classroom/office building that would unite departments scattered all over campus. By 1969, Haworth Hall and its neighbor Robinson Gymnasium, both opened before 1910 in the heart of campus, were razed in preparation for the new building.

Building
Wesley Building
1314 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

In September 1954 the Wesley Foundation Student Center opened in a brick and concrete building funded by the United Methodist Church and private donors. Like Myers Hall immediately to the west, it was organized to provide religious, educational and cultural support to university students. It had an auditorium and stage; a chapel; meeting and recreation rooms; lounges; a kitchen; offices; and a three-bedroom apartment for a resident director. In the late 1960s it was also used for design studios, art classes, and faculty and staff offices.

Courtyard
Woodyard Plaza
Jayhawk Boulevard west of Wescoe Hall
Lawrence, KS 66045
This small plaza between Wescoe Hall and Budig Hall/Hoch Auditoria is paved in brick and has three benches. Dedicated June 11, 2005, it is a gift from Dorothy Woodyard in honor of her brother, George Woodyard, professor emeritus of Spanish and Portuguese and first dean of International Studies (1989-96).
Building
Youngberg Hall
2385 Irving Hill Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

Designed by Neville, Sharp & Simon of Kansas City and completed in 1960, this brick building originally housed the Center for Research in Engineering Science, which became the Center for Research Inc. in 1962. From January 1976 to April 1998 it housed KU Endowment, which built it and owns it, and it is named for Irvin E. Youngberg, a 1942 alumnus and the association’s executive secretary 1948-75. 

Pages


Filter by
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
Nearly $290 million in financial aid annually
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
—ALA
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times