All

Building
Foley Hall
2021 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047

This redbrick building was originally the Frank C. Foley Geohydrology Center, an annex of the Kansas Geological Survey named for its director from 1954-70. It opened in spring 1980, and in 1989 the survey moved its office into Parker Hall. The Kansas Biological Survey was housed here from 1989 to 2003; Foley now houses Monarch Watch, which monitors the migrations and habitats of monarch butterflies and which was founded by Orley “Chip” Taylor, professor emeritus of ecology and evolutionary biology.

Building
Fraser Hall
1415 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

This building of cottonwood and silverdale limestone opened March 6, 1967. It sits on the second-highest point on Mount Oread — 1,031 feet — and is visible for miles. (The highest point is 1,037 feet, between Joseph R. Pearson Hall and Carruth-O'Leary Hall on West Campus Road.)

Building
Gertrude Sellards Pearson Residence Hall (GSP)
500 W. 11th St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

Opened in 1955 as a women's residence hall, GSP is named for Gertrude Sellards Pearson, a 1901 alumna who with her husband, Joseph R. Pearson, in 1945 donated money to supplement the construction of five residence and scholarship halls. It now forms a single living unit connected by a crosswalk with Corbin, 420 W. 11th St., a women's hall.

Building
Grace Pearson Scholarship Hall
1335 Louisiana St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

Funded by the gift of Joseph R. and Gertrude Sellards Pearson and named in memory of his niece, it is adjacent to and mirrors Douthart Hall, also designed by Raymond Coolidge of Topeka. The three-story brick building opened in fall 1955 as a women’s hall, but in fall 1960 it became a men’s hall. It has four-person suites and common living and dining areas.

Building
Green Hall
1535 W. 15th St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

This five-story building west of Naismith Drive and Murphy Hall opened for classes Oct. 17, 1977, and was dedicated Feb. 20-21, 1978. It retained the name of the 1905 hall built on Jayhawk Boulevard to house the School of Law and named in honor of Dean James W. “Uncle Jimmy” Green. It was designed by Lawrence R. Good & Associates of Lawrence; in 1987 former Chancellor and Mrs. W. Clarke Wescoe donated “Tai Chi Figure,” a large sculpture by Zhu Ming on the hall's lawn.

Artwork
Green Memorial / 'Uncle Jimmy' Green
Front of Lippincott Hall
Lawrence, KS

Daniel Chester French, 1924

James Woods Green (1842-1919) was the beloved first head of the KU Department of Law and the first dean when it became the School of Law in 1889; he served from 1878 until his death Nov. 4, 1919. A group of alumni and friends quickly formed an association to create a statue in memory of the beloved teacher and mentor.

Building
Hall Center for the Humanities
900 Sunnyside Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The center, dedicated April 9, 2005, incorporates nine limestone arches and the walls from KU’s oldest surviving structure, the 1887 Powerhouse designed by John G. Haskell. The center includes a 120-seat conference room, seminar room and offices for Hall Center staff and research fellows. It was built with a $4.07 million gift from the Hall Family Foundation and state and private funds.

Building
Hambleton Hall
1930 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047

This 1983 addition to Moore Hall includes an auditorium seating 45 and is named for William W. Hambleton, alumnus/faculty member, state geologist and KGS director 1970-87. It houses the Publication Sales division of the KGS, the Data Access and Support program and public data and library services.

Building
Hashinger Residence Hall
1632 Engel Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

This 1962 Daisy Hill residence hall for men and women, named for Margaret Battenfeld Hashinger, underwent major renovations in 2005-06. It has a performing-arts focus and offers studio, rehearsal, and performance space for residents.

Building
Haworth Hall
1200 Sunnyside Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

State Architect James Canole and Peters, Harrison & Associates of Lawrence designed the eight-story, $3.5 million building of dark buff brick and cottonwood limestone for the newly created Division of Biological Sciences. It opened in 1969; a major addition designed by Peters, Kubota & Glenn of Lawrence was dedicated April 12, 1986.

Building
Higuchi Hall
2101 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047

Named for Takeru Higuchi, Regents Distinguished Professor of Chemistry and Pharmacy 1967-87, the building was completed in 1969; major renovations were done in 1989. It now houses the Kansas Biological Survey (KBS), a research and service unit whose programs and activities range from aquatic and terrestrial ecology to remote sensing.

KBS research units housed in Higuchi include the Central Plains Center for Bioassessment, the Kansas Applied Remote Sensing Program, the KU Field Station, the Native Medicinal Plant Research Program and Reservoir Assessment.

 

Building
Hill Engineering Research & Development Center
2035 Becker Drive 66045
Lawrence , KS 66045

Completed in June 2013 by the School of Architecture & Design’s Studio 804 design/build class, this advanced research facility houses KU EcoHawks, a School of Engineering student program that focuses on sustainable energy approaches for automobiles and infrastructure.

The open structure, divided into two enclosed pods and one open-air pod, incorporates aluminum recycled from a Wichita airplane manufacturer and glass from a Kansas City, Mo., building project, Aerogel insulating panels, and photovoltaic panels on the entry canopy.

Building
Hill Engineering Research & Development Center
2035 Becker Drive
Lawrece, KS 66045

Completed in June 2013 by the School of Architecture & Design's Studio 804 design/build class, this advanced research facility houses KU EcoHawks, a School of Engineering student program that focuses on sustainable energy approaches for automobiles and infrastructure. The open structure, divided into two enclosed pods and one open-air pod, incorporates aluminum recycled from a Wichita airplane manufacturer and glass from a Kansas City, Mo., building project, Aerogel insulating panels, and photovoltaic panels on the entry canopy.

Building
Hilltop Child Development Center
1605 Irving Hill Road
Child Care Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

This $3.3 million, 18,000-square-foot facility opened south of Burge Union in August 2000. It offers day care and educational programs for toddlers through sixth-graders on site as well as programs at three Lawrence elementary schools. Children of students, faculty, staff and affiliates may enroll.

Building
Hoglund Ballpark
1545 Allen Fieldhouse Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

The first baseball field on this site south of Allen Fieldhouse, built in 1958, was named for Earnest Q. Quigley, KU athletic director 1944-50, a National League umpire and a football and basketball official.

Building
Horejsi Family Athletics Center
1550 Allen Fieldhouse Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

The 16,500-square-foot facility, completed in 1999 at the southwest corner of Allen Fieldhouse, houses volleyball and basketball practice and competition courts and a volleyball locker room that were enlarged and remodeled in a 2009 project. The arena seats 1,300.

The center was funded by Stewart Horejsi of Salina, a 1959 graduate, and named for his family.

Artwork
Icarus
Southeast entrance to Nichols Hall
Lawrence, KS

Charles Umlauf, 1964

The sculpture, mounted on a black-granite base at the southeast entrance to Nichols Hall in the West District, is drawn from the Greek myth of Daedalus and his son. Icarus.

They tried to escape imprisonment on the isle of Crete by flying on wings whose feathers were attached with wax. Icarus was so exhilarated by flying that he rose too close to the sun, which melted the wax; he is portrayed as he plunges from the sky.

Building
Integrated Science Building
1567 Irving Hill Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

By fall 2018, the Integrated Science Building — the centerpiece of the $350-million, 55-acre Central District redevelopment project — will be open for classes and research.

The 280,000-square-foot facility, designed by Perkins + Will architectural firm and costing $117 million, provides adaptable laboratory and teaching spaces designed to encourage learning and interdisciplinary research in chemistry, medicinal chemistry, physics, molecular biosciences and related fields.

Building
International House
704 W. 12th St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

International House, a residence for visiting scholars, was dedicated Feb. 9, 2008. Formerly the home of longtime business professor Frank Pinet and his family, the house was given to the university in 2001 and had been a residence and offices for visiting faculty and others.

The renovated, furnished house offers five private bedrooms and shared living areas that include a kitchen, dining room, gathering rooms, office space and laundry facilities.

Artwork
Interstate 70
Marvin Grove
Lawrence, KS

Richard Hollander, 1981

The Spencer Museum of Art purchased this abstract sculpture in 1981, after it had been on loan. Kansas City artist Richard Hollander (1911-91) fabricated the work of welded steel painted black in 1970; it is 21.5 feet long, 5 feet high and 4 feet wide. Its three groupings of discs connected by rectangular bars represent the experience of traveling on the interstate highway. It is sited in Marvin Grove about midway between Bailey Hall on the south and the art museum on the north.

Artwork
Jayhawk
Templin Hall
Entrance to KU Visitor Center
Lawrence, KS

Mike Elwell 

This flat-panel bronze of a Jayhawk in profile at the Visitor Center is a gift of the Class of 1999. Elwell ia an alumnus who holds a 1964 undergraduate degree and a 1967 law degree.

Artwork
Jayhawk/Academic Jay
In front of Strong Hall
Lawrence, KS

Elden C. Tefft, 1958

This distinctive Jayhawk in front of Strong Hall was commissioned by the Class of 1956 and designed and cast by Elden C. Tefft, professor of sculpture. He has said he was inspired by the sharp-beaked “fighting Jayhawks” that were mascots from 1929 to 1946, but the statue also has been called “the Pterodactyl.”

Building
Jayhawker Towers Apartments
1603 W. 15th St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

This apartment complex, opened Sept. 30, 1969, was bought by KU in 1980. It is designed for single, nontraditional, upper-classmen or transfer students in four towers; a fifth tower has a service center, commons and Academic Resource Center. All apartments are two-bedroom and shared by either two or four residents. The project, designed by Woodward & Cape of Dallas, was the brainchild of alumni K.S. Adams, W.W. Keeler, and Stanley Learned.

Pages


One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
—ALA
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times