All

Building
Joseph R. Pearson Hall (JRP)
1122 West Campus Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

One of five residence and scholarship halls funded by a 1945 bequest from Joseph R. and Gertrude Sellards Pearson, it was designed by State Architect John E. Brink and opened in January 1959 as a men’s hall; it closed in the early 1990s.

Building
Kansas Memorial Union
1301 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The core of the Kansas Union was funded by the Million Dollar Drive, begun in 1920 to fund memorials to the 127 men and two women of the KU community who died in World War I. The original brick and limestone building, designed by Irving K. Pond of the Chicago architectural firm Pond & Pond, was 80 by 135 feet when it opened in September 1927 

Artwork
Korean War Memorial
Memorial Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

This memorial, honoring 44 members of the university community who died in the Korean conflict, was dedicated April 16, 2005.

The brick and stone terrace overlooks Potter Lake west of the campanile. Its centerpiece is a 7-foot copper sculpture, “Korean Cranes Rising,” by design professor Jon Havener. The four entwined cranes, ancient symbols of peace in the Korean culture, represent the four nations in the conflict: the United States, China, North Korea and South Korea.

Building
Krehbiel Scholarship Hall
1301 Ohio St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

Alumnus Carl Krehbiel of Moundridge, Kan., donated $4 million to KU Endowment to fund a men’s scholarship hall in honor of his parents, alumni Kathyrn Krehbiel and Floyd H. Krehbiel. Carl and Floyd Krehbiel lived in scholarship halls as students.

Building
KU Endowment Building
1891 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047

In April 1998 KU Endowment moved to this $5 million, 52,000-square-foot building in the West District designed by Nearing Staats Prelogar Jones of Prairie Village. It is at least the third home of the Endowment, established in 1891 as the first foundation of its kind at a U.S. public university.

For many years its headquarters were in several buildings on the main campus, but in 1976 it moved to Irvin Youngberg Hall, which is named for the Endowment's longtime executive secretary. 

Building
Kurata Building
2330 Crowell Drive
Lawrence, KS 66047

The 5,000-square-foot building, dedicated Oct. 27, 1990, was designed by Hicks-Messick & Associates of Lawrence. It is named for Fred Kurata, a professor of chemical and petroleum engineering 1947-78 who held two distinguished professorships and was a leader in thermodynamics research.

When it opened, it housed labs and mechanical and conference areas for thermodynamics research.

Building
Learned Engineering Expansion Phase 2 (LEEP2)
1536 W. 15th Street
Lawrence, KS 66045

An extension of the Measurement, Materials & Sustainable Environment Center at the School of Engineering, LEEP2 was dedicated Oct. 30, 2015. It has three stories in 110,000 square feet and extends west and south into the area formerly occupied by Burt Hall.

Building
Learned Hall
1530 W. 15th St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The first building in the Engineering Complex, it is of yellow-brick and crab-orchard limestone and was designed by Brinkman & Hagan. When it opened in 1963 it was named for Stanley Learned (1902-95), a Lawrence native, 1924 civil engineering graduate and KU benefactor who was president and CEO of Phillips Petroleum Co. in Bartlesville, Okla.

Building
Lewis Residence Hall
1530 Engel Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

This hall was partly funded by the estate of Lawrence merchant and philanthropist Luther N. Lewis (1865-1933) and his widow, Lucene Barker Lewis, who died in 1956; both attended KU in the 1880s.

It opened in spring 1960 as a women's hall; major renovations were done in 1998-99. It now houses men and women; each floor, or “house,” honors a person or tradition of excellence at KU. In 1983 the adjoining Ekdahl Dining Commons, named for longtime food services director Lenoir Ekdahl and known as "Mrs. E's," opened.

 

Building
Library Annex
1880 Westbrooke Drive
Lawrence, KS 66044

The annex, designed by PGAV Architects of Westwood and opened in 2006, can house up to 1.6 million volumes from the KU Libraries’ collections. The climate-controlled storage area has nearly 7,900 square feet of shelving in units 35 feet tall. Materials stored here are cataloged and retrievable on request within 24 hours.

Building
Lied Center
1600 Stewart Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

The center, which opened in September 1993, was built largely with $10 million from the Lied Foundation Trust and is dedicated to Ernst M. and Ida K. Lied, parents of Ernst F. Lied (d. 1980). The younger Lied attended KU 1923-25; he owned a car dealership in Omaha and was a real-estate investor in Las Vegas.

Building
Lindley Hall
1475 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

Completed in 1943, the limestone hall was named for Ernest H. Lindley, chancellor 1920-39, who died shortly after retiring. It is sited on the crest of Mount Oread traversed by the Oregon Trail, denoted by a historical marker. Its Art Moderne design was by State Architect Roy Stookey, and limestone bas reliefs above the main doors are by sculptor Bernard “Poco” Frazier.

Artwork
Lindley Hall Relief Sculptures
Lindley Hall
Lawrence, KS

Bernard “Poco” Frazier. 1942

Elements of Art Moderne and Art Deco combine on the facade of Lindley Hall. Two three-story columns mark the main entry, and three inset limestone bas-reliefs of geologists and engineers are executed in a socialist-realist style.

Building
Lippincott Hall
1410 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

This Greco-Roman columned stone building was designed by State Architect John F. Stanton and dedicated Nov. 3, 1905. By student request it was named for James Woods Green, for 41 years (1879-1919) the beloved dean of the School of Law. In 1978 a new, much enlarged law building was erected west of Murphy Hall on 15th Street.

Building
Maintenance & Surplus Property
2303 Bob Billings Parkway
Lawrence, KS 66049

This facility is used for construction and maintenance projects and storage of tools, equipment and supplies by the Student Housing department.

Building
Maintenance Shop
1505 Westbrooke
Lawrence, KS 66049

Part of the Facilities Operations Complex, this building houses offices and shops for carpenters, painters, plumbers, steamfitters, lock shop, moving crew, storage, recycling facilities, etc.

Artwork
Malott Gateway
Visitor Center, 15th and Iowa streets
Lawrence, KS

Robert H. Malott and his wife, Elizabeth Hubert Malott, donated $1 million to create this gateway on the western edge of the main campus in honor of his parents, former Chancellor Deane W. Malott and Eleanor Sisson Malott.

It comprises a curved, 70-foot stone wall engraved "University of Kansas" and a marker to the left of the Visitor Center entrance reading “Malott Gateway.” A brick pedestrian plaza is landscaped with trees and shrubs.

Building
Malott Hall
1251 Wescoe Hall Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

At its dedication Nov. 5, 1954, this limestone building was named in honor of Deane W. Malott, the dynamic native Kansan and 1921 economics and journalism alumnus who was the eighth chancellor (1939-51). A huge addition designed by Peters, Williams & Kubota of Lawrence was dedicated April 10, 1981.

Building
Marvin Hall
1465 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

State Architect John F. Stanton designed this Oread limestone building, which opened in 1909 at what was then the extreme west end of campus.

It was named for Frank O. Marvin, first dean of engineering (1891-1913), son of third chancellor James Marvin (1874-83) and a noted artist and musician.

Building
Marvin Studios
1400 Hoch Auditoria Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

This small, winged building south of Marvin Hall was designed by State Architects Ray Stookley and Charles L. Marshall and built in 1942 by Works Progress Administration and National Youth Administration crews.

It innovative technology of rammed earth and concrete bricks was developed by engineering Professor W.C. McNown, and it was from the first known as “the Mud Hut.” 

Building
Max Kade Center for German-American Studies
1134 W. 11th St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

Bequeathed to KU by the estate of Dr. Mervin T. Sudler (1874-1956), Lawrence physician, professor of anatomy, and dean of the Medical School 1921-24, this limestone house was built for him in 1927 by the Kansas City architectural firm of Buckley & van Brunt.

Building
McCarthy Hall
1741 Naismith Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

This three-story, $11.2-million apartment building opened in October 2015 to house the 16-member men’s basketball team, about 20 older men students, and a resident director in two-bedroom/two-bath and four-bedroom/ two-bath apartments.

Each apartment comprises a living room, full kitchen, dining room, and bedrooms; the building also has study rooms and a lounge on each floor, laundry facilities, a multipurpose room with kitchen, a recreation room, media room, a balcony deck, and a half-court basketball court.

Building
McCollum Laboratory
2095 Constant Ave
Lawrence, KS 66047

Named for Burton McCollum (1880-1964), a 1903 graduate in electrical engineering who made pioneering discoveries in sound-wave exploration and geophysics, this interdisciplinary research facility was funded by his estate and by income from more than 30 patents.

Part of the Higuchi Biosciences Center, it opened in May 1971 and was expanded in 1973. State Architect James Canole oversaw the project. 

Building
McCollum Residence Hall
1800 Engel Road
Lawrence, KS 66045
The largest residence hall for men and women on Daisy Hill opened in 1965 was demolished in November 2015.
 
It was named for brothers Elmer V. and Burton McCollum, alumni and distinguished scientists who grew up in Lawrence.

Building
Measurement, Materials & Sustainable Environment Center (M2SEC)
1536 W. 15th St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

A key element of a large expansion of the School of Engineering, this interdisciplinary research building opened in 2012 at the complex on West 15th Street. Its focus is energy/transportation, global change, composite materials/technology, and sustainable building practices.

TreanorHL Science & Technology of Lawrence designed the $23-million project, funded in part by a $12.3 million National Institute of Standards & Technology grant.

Building
Memorial Campanile & Carillon
1450 Memorial Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

After World War II, Chancellor Deane Malott and others were determined to build a memorial to members of the KU community who died in the conflict. They did not want it simply to fulfill a need, as was the case with the union and the stadium after World War I.

A badly needed fieldhouse was among the proposals, but a bell tower, or campanile, was decided on, and a fund drive began as World War II ended.

Pages


One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
—ALA
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times