All

Building
Memorial Campanile & Carillon
1450 Memorial Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

After World War II, Chancellor Deane Malott and others were determined to build a memorial to members of the KU community who died in the conflict. They did not want it simply to fulfill a need, as was the case with the union and the stadium after World War I.

A badly needed fieldhouse was among the proposals, but a bell tower, or campanile, was decided on, and a fund drive began as World War II ended.

Artwork
Memorial Campanile Doors of Memory and Doors of Kansas
Campanile
Lawrence, KS

Bernard "Poco" Frazier (1906-76) was a 1929 design graduate who in the early 1940s established the first KU classes in sculpture; he left the university for a number of years but returned in 1956 as sculptor-in-residence and later professor of sculpture. The bronze doors at the north and south entrances of the Memorial Campanile were dedicated June 6, 1955. Each of the four doors, cast at foundries in Mexico City, is 9 feet tall and 3 feet 3 inches wide and contains three panels.

Point of interest
Memorial Drive
Memorial Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

This W-shaped drive runs from West Campus Road east to Mississippi Street north of Snow, Strong and Bailey halls. It was designed to complement the Memorial Campanile, honoring the 277 KU alumni, students, faculty and staff who died in World War II and the more than 7,000 who served.

Building
Military Science Building
1520 Summerfield Hall Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

Construction began in spring 1941 on this Works Progress Administration project and was completed by legislative appropriations after the WPA was disbanded.

The building — faced with limestone from old Snow Hall, demolished in 1934 — was completed Nov. 1, 1943.

It houses the Reserve Officer Training Corps programs of the the U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, and the U.S. Navy; a rifle range and artillery storage; a drill room; classrooms; and offices.

Building
Miller Scholarship Hall
1518 Lilac Lane
Lawrence, KS 66044

In 1936 Elizabeth Miller Watkins donated $75,000 to build a twin immediately south of Watkins Scholarship Hall, which she had financed in 1925. The building was named for her brother, Frank C. Miller, a KU student in the 1880s.

Building
Moore Hall
1930 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047

This building, housing the Kansas Geological Survey, was designed by Thomas, Johnson, Isley and dedicated Feb. 2, 1973.

It is named for Raymond C. Moore (1892-1974), state geologist, KGS director 1916-54 and a faculty member 1916-62; he was a Summerfield Distinguished Professor, chair of geology and a leading scholar/editor in invertebrate paleontology.

The hall houses the KGS geohydrology and exploration services sections, along with Public Outreach and administration.

Artwork
Moses
Front of Smith Hall
Lawrence, KS

Elden C. Tefft, 1982

This filigreed bronze, evoking the image on the University seal, was planned to complement the stained-glass window “Burning Bush,” designed by Smith Hall architect Charles L. Marshall of Topeka.

The window was donated by Mr. and Mrs. L. Allyn Laybourn in memory of his parents, the Rev. Lemuel and Susan M. Laybourn, and executed by Jacoby Studios of St. Louis.

Building
Mount Oread

The curving, W-shaped limestone ridge where KU’s main campus was built received this name from Ferdinand Fuller on Aug. 1, 1854, when he and the other settlers in the New England Emigrant Aid Society arrived.

Abolitionists in Boston and New England -- including Amos Lawrence, for whom the new town was named -- funded the contingent and sent sent it west to ensure that the Kansas Territory joined the Union as a free state.

Building
Multidisciplinary Research Building
2030 Becker Drive
Lawrence, KS 66047

Construction began on the $40 million, three-story research center in fall 2004, and it was dedicated March 6, 2006.

Housed in its 106,000 square feet are about 200 researchers, faculty, students, and staff in engineering, chemistry, biology,  geology, and other sciences doing collaborative research in bioinformatics, drug discovery, and nanoscience, among other fields.

The triangular building also houses laboratories; workrooms, offices and conference rooms; and research support spaces.

Building
Murphy Hall
1530 Naismith Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

A long campaign for a dedicated building for the performing arts culminated in 1957, when the music and theater departments moved into the new Murphy Hall.

It is named for Franklin Murphy, chancellor 1951-60 and a generous patron of the arts. The yellow-buff brick and crab-orchard limestone building was designed by Brinkman & Hagan of Emporia and dedicated Nov. 10, 1957.

Building
National Register of Historic Places

In April 2013, the University of Kansas Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places, after being listed on the Register of Historic Kansas Places in February 2013.

The district covers the period 1863-1951 and encompasses the Hill, Potter Lake, Memorial Drive, Jayhawk Boulevard, and the Prairie Acre.

Building
Nichols Hall
2335 Irving Hill Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

The $2.4 million hall, designed by Hollis & Miller of Overland Park, opened in fall 1971 and was dedicated Sept. 29, 1972. It was named for Raymond F. Nichols (1903-99), 12th chancellor (1972-73) and chancellor emeritus, journalism alumnus (1926 and 1928) and longtime KU administrator (1929-73).

Building
Nunemaker Center
1506 Engel Road
Lawrence, KS 66045
Built in 1971 with a gift of $415,000 from Irene Nunemaker, a 1922 graduate in journalism who became a cosmetics executive and consultant, it was designed by 1928 architecture alumnus Clarence Kivett of Kivett & Myers of Kansas City, MO.
 
It houses the University Honors Program; staff offices; class, conference and meeting rooms; reference/reading area; student kitchen; meeting room; and lounge.
Building
Oliver Residence Hall
1815 Naismith Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

Opened in 1966 as a freshman women’s hall, it is named for the first chancellor, R.W. Oliver, in honor of the university’s centennial. It now houses men and women, coed by wing, in two-person or private rooms.

The 22,000-square-foot South Dining Commons links Oliver Hall with the new Cora Downs Residence Hall, which opened in fall 2017 to the west. Oliver Hall's former dining hall has been renovated as an academic commons.

(Naismith Hall, across Naismith Drive east of Oliver, is a private residence hall for men and women.)

 

Artwork
Oregon Trail Marker
Jayhawk Boulevard at West Campus Road
Lawrence, KS

The bronze medallion of this marker, 16.5 inches in diameter, bears the image of a conestoga wagon pulled by oxen and guided by a pioneer.

The work of sculptors J.E. and L.G. Fraser, it is mounted outside Lindley Hall on a limestone plinth about 4 feet tall and nearly 6 feet long. The whole is surrounded by a low ovoid stone wall; plantings and a flagpole complete the marker.

Building
Oswald Residence Hall
1620 Engel Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

The southern of two five-story, freshman-focused residence halls designed by Treanor Architects of Lawrence, Oswald houses men and women in single-, two- and four-person suites; it is part of a quadrangle with Self, Templin, Lewis, Ellsworth, and Hashinger halls. 

Building
Parker Hall
1930 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047

This building, which like Hambleton Hall is attached to Moore Hall, was dedicated March 26, 1968, as a U.S. Geological Survey facility.

The USGS moved to other offices in 1989, and Parker now houses Kansas Geological Survey offices, including energy research and stratigraphic research.

It is named for Glenn L. Parker, an alumnus and chief hydraulic engineer for the USGS 1939-46.

Building
Parrott Athletic Center
1555 Irving Hill Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

The Parrott facility, completed in 1970 and renovated in 1993, houses Kansas Athletics Inc. offices for senior administrative and business staff, Media Relations, and the Williams Educational Fund.

Building
Pearson Scholarship Hall
1426 Alumni Place
Lawrence, KS 66044

Raymond Coolidge, a 1924 graduate and former Kansas state architect, designed this brick scholarship hall. It houses men in two-person suites and opened in fall 1952; a renovation was completed in 1992.

The hall is named for Joseph R. Pearson (1880-1955), who with his wife, Gertrude Sellards Pearson (1880-1968), a 1901 alumna, donated $200,000 in June 1945 for five residence and scholarship halls. 

 

Building
Pharmaceutical Chemistry Laboratories
2097 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047
This one-story building of laboratories and offices was built in 1968 and acquired by the university from KU Endowment in June 1991. It is part of the Higuchi Biosciences Center.
Artwork
Phog Allen
Allen Fieldhouse
Lawrence, KS

Kwan Wu, 1997

This bronze of KU coaching great Forrest C. “Phog” Allen, dressed in an athlete’s sweatsuit and holding a basketball, is 8 feet 8 inches tall.

It is mounted facing east on a granite base at the entrance to the Booth Family Hall of Athletics on the east side of Allen Fieldhouse. The fieldhouse was named for Allen when it opened March 1, 1955; he retired in 1956 and died in 1974. 

When it was dedicated Dec. 13, 1997 -- the 90th anniversary of the first basketball game Allen coached at KU -- it was sited slightly farther north and faced south.

Courtyard
Pioneer Cemetery
Irving Hill Road and Constant Avenue
Lawrence, KS

Chancellor Franklin Murphy and his two daughters “rediscovered” Pioneer Cemetery during a spring 1952 walk on undeveloped property west of Iowa Street and south of Irving Hill Road.

His interest piqued, he asked the KU Endowment Association to negotiate with the City of Lawrence to acquire the land, which the association did for $1 in May 1953.

Pages


One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
—ALA
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times