All

Artwork
Prairie Formation
East of Blake Hall
Lawrence, KS

James Bass, 1981

When Topeka artist James Bass (b. 1933) created this welded bronze piece, he said he was endeavoring “to reconcile the visual landscape of the 20th century with the textures and forms of the Kansas landscape.”

The piece, 7 feet 2 inches tall and almost 4 feet wide, was donated by the Pi Deuteron chapter of Phi Gamma Delta to commemorate its centennial May 2, 1981.

Building
Price Computing Center
1001 Sunnyside Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

This concrete building, designed by Hollis & Miller of Overland Park and dedicated Oct. 14, 1978, cost $4 million.

It consolidated academic and data-management computer services from other buildings, notably Summerfield Hall. It houses Information Technology staff and services including enterprise applications, KU data center infrastructure, and IT security.

Building
Public Safety Building
1501 Crestline Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

The KU Public Safety Office moved from Carruth-O’Leary Hall to the former Printing Services Building in the West District in spring 2006, after renovations.

The 32,000-square-foot building was designed by Glober & Newcomb of Topeka and opened in April 1968. Its warehouse is used to store catalogs and other publications and University Press books.

KU's entomological collections and staff offices are housed here.

Building
Robinson Center
1301 Sunnyside Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

State Architect James Canole and Dwight C. Brown & Associates of Topeka designed the concrete and yellow-brick building, completed in April 1966 east of Allen Fieldhouse; a $6 million addition designed by Lund & Balderson of Overland Park opened in August 1980.

Building
Rock Chalk Park
6100 Rock Chalk Drive
Lawrence, KS 66049

A cooperative effort of the City of Lawrence and Kansas Athletics that opened in 2014 in northwest Lawrence, the park provides community athletics and exercise facilities as well as NCAA-standard competition and practice venues for KU soccer, softball, tennis, and track and field teams.

Building
Sabatini Multicultural Resource Center
1299 Oread Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

This 7,000-square-foot, $2.7 million building on the north side of the Kansas Union was dedicated April 25, 2008, and named in honor of Lisetta and Carmine Sabatini, parents of donors Frank Sabatini, who holds KU degrees in business and law, and Nella Sabatini Dinolfo.

It was funded by a $1 million gift from the Sabatini Family Foundation of Topeka, student fees and other university sources. Designed by Gould Evans Associates, it houses staff and program offices, an auditorium, and academic support and study rooms for students.

Artwork
Salina Piece
Youngberg Hall
Lawrence, KS

Dale Eldred, 1969

This large steel sculpture — 35 feet tall, 24 feet wide and weighing more than 30 tons — is by sculptor Dale Eldred (1933-93) and was a gift to the Spencer Museum of Art from Mr. and Mrs. John M. Simpson, who had exhibited it at their home in Salina, Kan.

In June 1981 the piece was delivered to a site selected by a university committee that included Charles Eldredge, director of the Spencer Museum of Art, on a triangular piece of land directly south of the Prairie Acre at Sunnyside Avenue and Sunflower Road.

Building
School of Pharmacy Building
2010 Becker Drive
Lawrence, KS 66047

Capping the observance of the School of Pharmacy’s 125th year was the dedication Oct. 22, 2010, of its new building in the West District.

Building
Self Residence Hall
1620 Engel Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

The northern of two five-story, freshman-focused residence halls designed by Treanor Architects of Lawrence, it houses men and women in single-, two- and four-person suites; it is part of a quadrangle with Oswald, Templin, Lewis, Ellsworth, and Hashinger residence halls. 

Building
Sellards Scholarship Hall
1443 Alumni Place
Lawrence, KS 66044
One of the three scholarship halls funded by the 1945 gift of Joseph R. Pearson of Corsicana, Texas, and his wife, Gertrude Sellards Pearson, a 1901 alumna, it is named in honor of her family.
 
The Georgian-style brick hall on the southeast edge of the Brynwood Manor estate opened in fall 1952. It houses women in four-person suites.
Artwork
Seventh Decade Garden IX-X
Spencer Museum of Art
Lawrence, KS

Louise Nevelson, 1971

This aluminum piece, painted black and mounted on the north promenade of the Spencer Museum of Art, is by Louise Nevelson and was purchased by the Spencer Museum in 1983 with support from the Price R. & Flora Reid Foundation, the Spencer Fund, KU Endowment and the National Endowment for the Arts.

It is 8 feet tall, 1 foot 10 inches wide and 2 feet 6 inches deep and is mounted on a base approximately 2 feet square.

Building
Shankel Structural Biology Center
2034 Becker Drive
Lawrence, KS 66047

The center, originally dedicated Oct. 15, 2004, was renamed in honor of longtime professor and administrator Delbert M. Shankel on April 15, 2010.

Its original centerpiece was an 800-megahertz magnetic resonance spectrometer for use in medicinal and pharmaceutical chemistry research. A $22.2-million, 44,000-square-foot addition to the west side was dedicated Oct. 23, 2008.

Two new wings house the Specialized Chemistry Center and the labs and students of Blake Peterson, a Kansas Bioscience Authority Eminent Scholar.

Outdoor Recreation
Shenk Sports Complex
Clinton Parkway and Iowa Street
Lawrence, KS

These intramural fields, designed by KU landscape architect Alton C. Thomas on land donated by KU Endowment, are named for Henry Shenk, KU athlete and alumnus who was chair of the Department of Health, Physical Education and Recreation 1941-72; he retired in 1976 and died in 1989. 

Building
Shop Facility
1735 Westbrooke Drive
Lawrence, KS 66047

This concrete and brick building, completed in summer 2007, was designed by Kenneth O. von Achen Chartered Architects.

It houses shops for electricians, plumbers and painters; a recycling transfer facility; warehouse storage; a boat-storage area for the Kansas Biological Survey; and a geophysics shop.

The $3.7 million project included an addition to the Facilities Operations Warehouse to the south.

Building
Simons Biosciences Research Laboratories
2093 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047
The research lab, dedicated May 6, 1996, and part of the Higuchi Biosciences Center, is named for Dolph Simons Sr., longtime publisher of the Lawrence Journal-World newspaper and a key figure in bringing distinguished chemist Takeru Higuchi to the university in the 1960s.
 
Building
Smissman Research Laboratories
2099 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047
The $1.1 million research center was designed by Hazard, Van Doren & Stallings of Topeka and dedicated May 5, 1978. It is named for Edward E. Smissman (1925-74), professor and chair of medicinal chemistry and University Distinguished Professor, and is part of the Higuchi Biosciences Center in the West District.
Building
Smith Hall
1300 Oread Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

Dedicated Oct. 8, 1967, Smith Hall houses the religious studies department, faculty and administrative offices, classrooms and the William J. Moore Library. It occupies the site of Myers Hall, which had housed the Department of Religion since 1907.

Myers was built on the site of the Rush farmhouse, purchased in 1901 by the Christian Women’s Board of Missions, Christian Church, to house the Kansas Bible Chair, offering courses in religious history and the Bible. The hall was also used as a social center and public lecture space.

Building
Snow Hall
1460 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

State Architect Charles Cuthbert and H.H. Lane of the zoology department collaborated to design this Indiana limestone building in a modified Collegiate Gothic style.

Building
Spahr Engineering Library
1532 W. 15th St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The yellow-brick library, designed by Gould Evans Associates of Lawrence, was begun in 1984 and dedicated May 5, 1988.

It is named for Charles E. Spahr, a 1934 engineering alumnus, emeritus chair and CEO of Standard Oil Co. of Ohio and a KU benefactor who with his wife made a major endowment to the library.

Building
Spencer Museum of Art
1301 Mississippi St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The museum, dedicated in September 1977, was built with funds from the Kenneth A. and Helen F. Spencer Foundation. It is named for Helen Foresman Spencer, a student in the 1920s who married Kenneth A. Spencer, a 1926 graduate who founded a chemical company and the Midwest Research Institute in Kansas City, MO.

Like the Spencer Research Library, which she also funded, the museum was designed by architect Robert Jenks of Kansas City, a KU classmate of the Spencers, and built of white Indiana limestone.

Building
Spencer Research Library
1450 Poplar Lane
Lawrence, KS 66045

This neoclassical building, which opened in 1968, honors Kenneth A. Spencer (1902-60), a 1926 graduate who founded the Spencer Chemical Co. and the Midwest Research Institute of Kansas City, MO.

The library was built with a grant from his widow, Helen Foresman Spencer, who attended KU, and the family foundation.

Building
Spooner Hall
1340 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The university’s first library, this Oread limestone and red sandstone building was designed in the Romanesque Revival style by Kansas City architect Henry van Brunt, who also designed the first chancellor’s residence immediately east of it.

Building
Sprague Apartments
1400 Lilac Lane
Lawrence, KS 66044

The apartment building was funded by a bequest from Elizabeth Cade Sprague (1874-1960), head of the home economics department 1914-41, in memory of her sister Amelia, an artist and designer. Retired faculty members live in the 10 units of the redbrick building, completed in 1960.

Pages


One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
—ALA
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times