All

Building
Strong Hall
1450 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045
Surging enrollments after 1900 made a new administration and classroom building necessary, and Chancellor Frank H. Strong (1902-1920) began petitioning the legislature for funding. St. Louis architect Montrose Pallen McArdle was hired to design the building that Strong and the regents hoped would be “the center of the University architecture as well as the University life.” State Architect John Stanton, art professor William A. Griffith and College Dean Olin Templin advised.
Building
Sudler Annex
1132 W. 11th St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

This building was originally the garage of the home bequeathed to KU by the estate of Dr. Mervin T. Sudler (1874-1956), Lawrence physician, professor of anatomy, and dean of the Medical School 1921-24. The adjacent home, built in 1927, is now the Max Kade Center for German-American Studies.

Building
Summerfield Hall
1300 Sunnyside Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

When it was dedicated April 9, 1960, this five-story yellow-buff brick building, designed by State Architect John Brink, was notable for the glass curtain wall on its south face. It occupies the site of eight World War II temporary buildings used as Sunnyside Apartments for married students.

Building
Sunflower Apartments
1021 Missouri St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

The two-bedroom units provide one-year housing for new faculty, unclassified staff, postdoctoral fellows and visiting scholars. The brick, side-by-side duplexes were built in 1955.

19 units

Artwork
Tai Chi Figure
Green Hall
Lawrence, KS

Zhu Ming, 1985

This large piece, on the east lawn of Green Hall, was purchased by the Spencer Museum in 1987 with support from the Wescoe Fund, endowed by former Chancellor and Mrs. W. Clarke Wescoe. The piece honors Barbara Wescoe’s father, Judge Willard M. Benton, a 1920 alumnus of the School of Law. It was dedicated Oct. 31, 1987.

The bronze, cast and welded, is 8 feet 10 inches tall, 15 feet 11 inches wide and 7 feet deep. It portrays a figure in a dynamic pose typical of the soft-style martial art of tai chi, which emphasizes strength and balance.

Building
Templin Residence Hall
1515 Engel Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

Named for Olin Templin (1861-1943), a mathematics graduate who from 1883 to 1943 was professor of philosophy, dean of the College, chair of the Alumni Association, and secretary of the KU Endowment Association. He also was instrumental in establishing scholarship and residence halls. This seven-story residence hall, opened in 1959, was extensively remodeled in 1997 into single, two- and four-person suites for 274 men and women. Each floor, or “house,” honors a person or tradition of excellence at KU; an honors program community is based here, and students must attain a minimum GPA.

Artwork
The Owl
Spooner Hall
Lawrence, KS

The inscription on the hall’s portico reads: “Whoso findeth wisdom findeth life,” and a sandstone owl, the symbol of wisdom, sits in a niche on the gable. The owl may have been designed by the Spooner architect, Henry van Brunt (1832-1903), a partner in the Kansas City, Mo., firm of Van Brunt & Howe. He was an 1854 graduate of Harvard University and a student of Richard Morris Hunt, the most notable American proponent of the Gothic Revival and Renaissance Revival styles.

Artwork
The Pioneer
South of Fraser Hall
Lawrence, KS

Frederick C. Hibbard, 1904

The first sculpture on campus, The Pioneer was a 1905 gift of Simeon B. Bell of Wyandotte County, Kan., a physician and real-estate speculator. In memory of his late wife, Bell donated land and funding for the Eleanor Taylor Bell Memorial Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., which became the University of Kansas School of Medicine and the University of Kansas Hospital.

Artwork
The Victory Eagle
Dyche Hall
Lawrence, KS

Thomas F. Roberts and Otto Widman, consultants, 1920

To honor World War I casualties, the Victory Highway Association began a campaign in 1921 to set a statue of a female bald eagle defending her eaglets at every county line along U.S. 40, then a transcontinental highway. The Douglas County statue, said to be the second in the country, was paid for by donations from local women’s clubs; its base was set on land donated by H.G. Van Neste north of the intersection of U.S. 40 and Kansas 32 at the Douglas-Leavenworth county line and dedicated May 27, 1929.

Building
Twente Hall
1545 Lilac Lane
Lawrence, KS 66045

Originally Watkins Memorial Hospital, it opened in January 1932 and was built with funds donated by Elizabeth Miller Watkins, a doctor’s daughter and widow of Lawrence banker/financier J.B. Watkins, for whom it was named. The unusual splayed-V design of the stone building, by State Architect Joseph E. Radotinsky, accommodates its site on the edge of the hill Watkins owned.

Building
University Guest House
1525 Pearson Place
Lawrence, KS 66045

This small house on the grounds of the chancellor’s residence, also known as the Rock Cottage, was built in the 1930s of stone left from construction of a retaining wall on the property. It was designed by architecture professor Verner F. Smith to be used by guests at the Outlook and was part of Elizabeth Miller Watkins’ 1939 bequest to KU. During the housing shortage after World War II, faculty members lived there. In 1952 the university remodeled it as a guest house, furnishing it from estate bequests and museum holdings.

Building
University Press
2502 Westbrooke Circle
Lawrence, KS 66045

The press, which publishes scholarly books for the six state regents institutions, other universities and scholars, dedicated this building on West Campus Oct. 11, 1991. Founded in 1946 specifically for KU but expanded in 1967 to other regents schools, the press had been housed in Stauffer-Flint and Carruth-O’Leary halls. This redbrick and stone building, designed by Ross & Gadgil of Overland Park, has 6,350 square feet and houses a staff of about 15.

Building
University Press Warehouse
1501 S. Crestline Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

The one-floor press warehouse, which has 7,000 square feet, adjoins the Public Safety Building, formerly KU Printing Services, at 1501 Crestline Drive, southeast of the University Press. It was designed by the Williams Huber Team of Lawrence and opened in 1990.

Artwork
University Seal
Budig Hall/Hoch Auditoria
Lawrence, KS

The Class of 1997 gave this reproduction of the University Seal depicting Moses kneeling before the burning bush. The image is surrounded by a Latin inscription that in English reads, “I will see this great vision in which the bush does not burn.”

The bronze medallion is 36 inches in diameter and mounted on a marble slab set on a triangular stone base about 4 feet tall. The whole is set in a large, raised rectangular planter topped by a stone bench.

Artwork
Untitled: Roughneck
Moore Hall
Lawrence, KS

John Whitfield, 1985

This copper and bronze sculpture by Kansas artist John Whitfield, dedicated Nov. 1, 1985, was financed by state fees that also paid for a 1983 addition to Moore. Its inscription notes that it is a “memento to the oil-field roustabout who does the nitty-gritty work” of the industry in Kansas.

The piece is 7 feet 3 inches tall and 4 feet 7 inches wide; it is mounted at the south entrance of Moore Hall on a base comprising three large slabs of Kansas limestone.

Building
Vehicle Maintenance Shop (Motor Pool)
1505 Westbrooke
Lawrence, KS 66049

Part of the Facilities Operations Complex: Offices and shops for carpenters, painters, plumbers, steamfitters, lock shop, moving crew, storage, recycling facilities, etc.

Artwork
Vietnam War Memorial
Memorial Drive
Lawrence, KS

On May 25, 1986, dedication ceremonies were held for the Vietnam War Memorial, the first on-campus commemoration in the nation. It honors 59 students and alumni who died or were declared missing. The 65-foot, L-shaped wall of native Kansas limestone, at the west end of Memorial Drive, was created by Doran Abel, an architecture major; Stephen Grabow, professor of architecture and urban design; and Greg Wade, the university’s landscape architect. Student Senate appropriations and donations from students, alumni and veterans paid for the memorial.

Building
Visitor Center
1502 Iowa St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

In 1998 the cafeteria/dining hall of Templin Residence Hall was renovated and expanded for use as the Visitor Center and the Office of Admissions. The center provides brochures, maps, exhibits, tours and other introductory information about KU. The office provides information about application standards and processes, financial aid, credits, etc.

Building
Wagnon Student Athlete Center
1555 Irving Hill Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

Major renovations and additions to the Allen Fieldhouse complex in 2009 enhanced this service center for student athletes, coaches and staff, and KU Athletics. The name honors donors Ken Wagnon and W.G. Parrott Jr.

Building
Warehouse
1851 Westbrooke
Lawrence, KS 66049

Part of the Facilities Services Complex: Offices and shops for carpenters, painters, plumbers, steamfitters, lock shop, moving crew, storage, recycling facilities, etc.

Artwork
Water Carrier
Spooner Hall
Lawrence, KS

Craig Dan Goseyun, 1994

This bronze sculpture, 8 feet tall and weighing 3,000 pounds, signifies the importance of water to all living things. It is the gift of Clarence J. and Hazel M. Beck of Rye, N.H., to commemorate the 1994 centennial of Spooner Hall. He is a 1943 metallurgical engineering graduate and a pioneer in nuclear and atomic research; in 1992 he received the Distinguished Engineering Service Award.

Building
Watkins Home
1540 Sunflower Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

In 1937 Elizabeth M. Watkins donated funds for a residence hall for nurses working at Watkins Memorial Hospital, immediately north; it served that purpose until 1974. The stone building was designed by State Architect Raymond Coolidge. It housed the Hall Center for the Humanities from 1984 to 2005. The School of Social Welfare now uses the facility for several programs.

Building
Watkins Memorial Health Center
1200 Schwegler Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

By the 1960s, the university had outgrown Watkins Memorial Hospital, opened in January 1932. The hospital, the gift of Elizabeth Miller Watkins and named for her late husband, could not be expanded because of its hillside site, so a larger, more modern hospital was planned for the playing fields southeast of Robinson Center. George Hampton & Associates of Wichita and State Architect Kenneth R. McCain designed the dark brick building with medical director Raymond A. Schwegler. It cost $3.65 million, paid largely by student fees, and retained the original name.

Building
Watkins Scholarship Hall
1506 Lilac Lane
Lawrence, KS 66044

In 1925, Elizabeth Miller Watkins gave $75,000 to fully fund the first KU women’s scholarship hall, to be named for her late husband, Lawrence banker Jabez B. Watkins. She also donated the land for it, on Lilac Lane adjacent to her home, “The Outlook.” The residents had to demonstrate financial need and academic ability and agree to share all domestic duties. Thomas Williamson designed the yellow-brick, colonial-style hall. The seven kitchen/dining areas in the basement were shared by seven women each; the hall also has a living room, sleeping porches and study rooms.

Pages


One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
—ALA
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times