All

Building
Price Computing Center
1001 Sunnyside Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

This concrete building, designed by Hollis & Miller of Overland Park and dedicated Oct. 14, 1978, cost $4 million. It consolidated academic and data-management computer services from other buildings, notably Summerfield Hall. It houses Information Technology staff and services including enterprise applications; KU data center infrastructure and IT security.

Building
Public Safety Building
1501 Crestline Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

The KU Public Safety Office moved from Carruth-O’Leary Hall to the former Printing Services Building on west campus in spring 2006, after renovations. The 32,000-square-foot building, designed by Glober & Newcomb of Topeka and opened in April 1968, also houses the entomology collection and staff, which moved in spring 2006 from Snow Hall; the Invertebrate Paleontology Museum collection; and part of the anthropology collection. Its warehouse is used to store catalogs and other publications and University Press books.

Building
Rieger Scholarship Hall
1323 Ohio St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

This hall, dedicated Sept. 24, 2005, houses 50 women in a mix of traditional rooms and suites in two wings. The common areas include a courtyard, living room, dining area, kitchen and recreational room. The hall was funded through a $3 million gift by Roger and Annette Rieger of Seattle, both 1967 alumni, in memory of Roger's brother Dennis, who earned a bachelor's in political science at KU in 1972 and a master's in business in 1974.

Building
Robinson Health and Physical Education Center
1301 Sunnyside Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The first Robinson Gymnasium was completed in 1907 and dedicated during Commencement 1908; it was built on land originally owned by Charles Robinson, a founder of Lawrence and first governor of Kansas, and was named for him and his wife, Sara T.D. Robinson.

Building
Sabatini Multicultural Resource Center
1299 Oread Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

This 7,000-square-foot, $2.7 million building on the north side of the Kansas Union was dedicated April 25, 2008, and named in honor of Lisetta and Carmine Sabatini, parents of donors Frank Sabatini, who holds KU degrees in business and law, and Nella Sabatini Dinolfo. It was funded by a $1 million gift from the Sabatini Family Foundation of Topeka, student fees and other university sources. Designed by Gould Evans Associates, it houses staff and program offices, an auditorium and academic support and study rooms for students.

Artwork
Salina Piece
Youngberg Hall
Lawrence, KS

Dale Eldred, 1969

This large steel sculpture — 35 feet tall, 24 feet wide and weighing more than 30 tons — is by sculptor Dale Eldred (1933-93) and was a gift to the Spencer Museum of Art from Mr. and Mrs. John M. Simpson, who had exhibited it at their home in Salina, Kan.

Building
School of Pharmacy Building
2010 Becker Drive
Lawrence, KS 66047

Capping the observance of the School of Pharmacy’s 125th year was the dedication Oct. 22, 2010, of its new building on west campus.

Building
Self Residence Hall
1620 Engel Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

The northern of two five-story, freshman-focused residence halls designed by Treanor Architects of Lawrence, it houses about 350 men and women in single-, two- and four-person suites; it is part of a quadrangle with Oswald, Templin, Lewis, Ellsworth, and Hashinger halls. Connecting it to the new Oswald Residence Hall to the south is Daisy Hill Commons, an academic service center and community kitchen that provides gathering spaces for all residence-hall students to socialize and study. The $47.8 million project opened in fall 2015. 

Building
Sellards Scholarship Hall
1443 Alumni Place
Lawrence, KS 66044
One of the three scholarship halls funded by the 1945 gift of Joseph R. Pearson of Corsicana, Texas, and his wife, Gertrude Sellards Pearson, a 1901 alumna, it is named in honor of her family. The Georgian-style brick hall on the southeast edge of the Brynwood Manor estate opened in fall 1952. It houses 47 women in four-person suites.
Artwork
Seventh Decade Garden IX-X
Spencer Museum of Art
Lawrence, KS

Louise Nevelson, 1971

This aluminum piece, painted black and mounted on the north promenade of the Spencer Museum of Art, is by Louise Nevelson and was purchased by the Spencer Museum in 1983 with support from the Price R. & Flora Reid Foundation, the Spencer Fund, KU Endowment and the National Endowment for the Arts. It is 8 feet tall, 1 foot 10 inches wide and 2 feet 6 inches deep and is mounted on a base approximately 2 feet square.

Building
Shankel Structural Biology Center
2034 Becker Drive
Lawrence, KS 66047

The center, originally dedicated Oct. 15, 2004, was renamed in honor of longtime professor and administrator Delbert M. Shankel on April 15, 2010.

Its original centerpiece was an 800-megahertz magnetic resonance spectrometer for use in medicinal and pharmaceutical chemistry research. A $22.2-million, 44,000-square-foot addition to the west side was dedicated Oct. 23, 2008. Two new wings house the Specialized Chemistry Center and the labs and students of Blake Peterson, a Kansas Bioscience Authority Eminent Scholar.

Outdoor Recreation
Shenk Sports Complex
Clinton Parkway and Iowa Street
Lawrence, KS

These intramural fields, designed by KU landscape architect Alton C. Thomas on land donated by KU Endowment, are named for Henry Shenk, KU athlete and alumnus who was chair of the Department of Health, Physical Education and Recreation 1941-72; he retired in 1976 and died in 1989. 

Building
Shop Facility
1735 Westbrooke Drive
Lawrence, KS 66047

This new concrete and brick building, completed in summer 2007, was designed by Kenneth O. von Achen Chartered Architects. It houses shops for electricians, plumbers and painters; a recycling transfer facility; warehouse storage; a boat-storage area for the Kansas Biological Survey; and a geophysics shop. The $3.7 million project included an addition to the Facilities Operations Warehouse to the south.

Building
Simons Biosciences Research Laboratories
2093 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047
The research lab, dedicated May 6, 1996, is named for Dolph Simons Sr., longtime publisher of the Lawrence Journal-World newspaper and a key figure in bringing distinguished chemist Takeru Higuchi to the university. The $8.9 million building, designed by Glenn Livingood Penzler Miller Architects of Lawrence, houses laboratories and other research space, an auditorium, conference rooms and offices for researchers focused on cancer-fighting drugs.
Building
Smissman Research Laboratories
2099 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047
The $1.1 million research center was designed by Hazard, Van Doren & Stallings of Topeka and dedicated May 5, 1978. It is named for Edward E. Smissman (1925-74), professor and chair of medicinal chemistry and University Distinguished Professor, and is part of the Higuchi Biosciences Center in west campus.
Building
Smith Hall
1300 Oread Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

Dedicated Oct. 8, 1967, Smith Hall houses the religious studies department, faculty and administrative offices, classrooms and the William J. Moore Library. It occupies the site of Myers Hall, which had housed the Department of Religion since 1907.

Building
Snow Hall
1460 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

When it opened in 1930, “new” Snow Hall replaced the limestone building of 1886 designed by John G. Haskell and named for Francis H. Snow, the natural history professor who became the fifth chancellor (1890-1901). The original building had seriously deteriorated by 1915 and was a lethal risk by the mid-1920s when funds were finally approved for a new science building. “Old Snow,” whose site was the northwest corner of the Watson Library lawn, was demolished in 1934. Salvaged stone was used to face the Military Science Building.

Building
Spahr Engineering Library
1532 W. 15th St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The yellow-brick library, designed by Gould Evans Associates of Lawrence, was begun in 1984 and dedicated May 5, 1988. It is named for Charles E. Spahr, a 1934 engineering alumnus, emeritus chair and CEO of Standard Oil Co. of Ohio and KU benefactor who with his wife made a major endowment to the library. The two-story, 13,000-square-foot library holds about 70,000 books and serials and more than 350,000 microfiche items. It is connected by an enclosed walkway to the first floor of Learned Hall, the main engineering building, and shares a courtyard with Learned and Eaton halls.

Building
Spencer Museum of Art
1301 Mississippi St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The museum, dedicated in September 1977, was built with funds from the Kenneth A. and Helen F. Spencer Foundation. It is named for Helen Foresman Spencer, a student in the 1920s who married Kenneth A. Spencer, a 1926 graduate who founded a chemical company and the Midwest Research Institute in Kansas City, Mo. Like the Spencer Research Library, which she also funded, the museum was designed by architect Robert Jenks of Kansas City, a KU classmate of the Spencers, and built of white Indiana limestone.

Building
Spencer Research Library
1450 Poplar Lane
Lawrence, KS 66045

This neoclassical building, which opened in 1968, honors Kenneth A. Spencer (1902-60), a 1926 graduate who founded the Spencer Chemical Co. and the Midwest Research Institute of Kansas City, Mo. The library was built with a grant from his widow, Helen Foresman Spencer, who attended KU, and the family foundation. It was designed by architect Robert Jenks of Kansas City, a 1926 graduate, and built of white Indiana limestone. Its terrace adjoins Strong Hall to the south.

Building
Spooner Hall
1340 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The university’s first library, this Oread limestone and red sandstone building was designed in the Romanesque Revival style by Kansas City architect Henry van Brunt, who also designed the first chancellor’s residence immediately east of it. Both were funded by an 1891 bequest of Boston leather merchant and philanthropist William B. Spooner, uncle of Francis H. Snow, an original faculty member and the fifth chancellor.

Building
Sprague Apartments
1400 Lilac Lane
Lawrence, KS 66044

The apartment building was funded by a bequest from Elizabeth Sprague (1874-1960), head of the home economics department 1914-41, in memory of her sister Amelia, an artist and designer. Retired faculty members live in the redbrick building, completed in 1960.

Building
St. Andrews Office Facility
1515 St. Andrews Drive
Lawrence , KS

PKG Design Group of Lawrence built this 34,000-square-foot building in 1980 as the corporate headquarters for Maupintour Inc., an international travel agency. The university purchased it for $3.2 million in 1998 to consolidate its continuing education programs and offices. In 2014, after Continuing Education moved most of its programs to the Edwards Campus, it was renamed; it now houses Design & Construction Management, the Office of Institutional Research & Planning, the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, and the Kansas Fire & Rescue Training Institute.

Building
St. Andrews Research Facility
1617 St. Andrews Drive
Lawrence , KS 66047

KU Center for Research Inc. purchased this 11,700-square-foot building, west of Bob Billings Parkway and Kasold Drive, in 2013 to house the School of Education’s Center for Public Partnerships & Research. That center is part of the Achievement & Assessment Institute, founded in 2012 to build partnerships and programs that support the success of young children, school-aged children, adults, and publicly funded agencies. Its four research centers also support research and job-training opportunities for KU students.

Artwork
St. George and the Dragon
Twente Hall
Lawrence, KS

Marjorie Whitney, 1932

Above the main entry of the former Watkins Memorial Hospital, which opened in 1932, is a large limestone relief depicting St. George slaying the Dragon, representing disease. It was designed by Professor Marjorie Whitney, a 1929 alumna and chair of KU’s Department of Design (1940-68). Other Whitney ornamentation on Twente includes a sculpted door and bas-reliefs of animals, garlands and flowers on the tower.

Building
Stauffer-Flint Hall
1435 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The building houses the William Allen White School of Journalism & Mass Communications; administrative and faculty offices; classrooms; Kansas Scholastic Press Association; Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism; Kansas Journalism Institute, and the William Allen White Foundation.

Building
Stephenson Scholarship Hall
1404 Alumni Place
Lawrence, KS 66044

Opened in fall 1951, the hall houses 47 men in two-person suites. Designed by Raymond Coolidge, it was partly funded by Mrs. Lyle Stephenson in memory of her husband, a Kansas City insurance salesman and amateur entomologist. It was built on the eastern edge of the Brynwood estate property obtained from Acacia fraternity by Olin Templin in 1939.

Pages


Filter by
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
—ALA
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times