Watkins Home
1540 Sunflower Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

In 1937 Elizabeth M. Watkins donated funds for a residence for nurses working at Watkins Memorial Hospital, immediately north of this building; it served that purpose until 1974. The stone building was designed by State Architect Raymond Coolidge.

It housed the Hall Center for the Humanities from 1984 to 2005. The School of Social Welfare, based in Twente Hall (formerly the student hospital), oversees several programs in the building.

Watkins Memorial Health Center
1200 Schwegler Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

By the 1960s, the university had outgrown Watkins Memorial Hospital, opened in January 1932. The hospital, the gift of Elizabeth Miller Watkins and named for her late husband, could not be expanded because of its hillside site, so a larger, more modern hospital was planned for the playing fields southeast of Robinson Center.

Watkins Scholarship Hall
1506 Lilac Lane
Lawrence, KS 66044

In 1925, Elizabeth Miller Watkins gave $75,000 to fully fund and maintain the first KU women’s scholarship hall, to be named for her late husband, Lawrence banker Jabez B. Watkins.

She also donated the land for it, on Lilac Lane adjacent to her home, “The Outlook.” The residents had to demonstrate financial need and academic ability and agree to share all domestic duties.

Watson Library
1425 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

Opened Sept. 11, 1924, this Collegiate Gothic-style limestone building was named for Carrie M. Watson, an 1877 and 1880 alumna who was university librarian 1887-1921. It was designed by George L. Chandler and State Architect Ray L. Gamble.

Five structural additions were done between 1938 and 1963; chronic crowding and disorganization were alleviated by the completion of Spencer Research Library in 1968 and Anschutz Library in 1989.

Weaver Courtyard
Spooner Hall
Lawrence, KS 66045

The Arthur D. Weaver Memorial Fountain Court on the south side of Spooner Hall was dedicated June 20, 1960, in memory of the longtime Lawrence department-store owner. It was the gift of son Arthur B. Weaver and daughter Amarette W. Veatch and their families.

A fountain near the center held a sculpture, and several others were mounted in the courtyard. One piece, "Portrait of August Renoir" by Aristide Malliol, was stolen in 1967; the others were removed to storage.

Wescoe Hall
1445 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

Wescoe Hall houses administrative and academic offices and classrooms for liberal arts and humanities departments.

Wesley Building
1314 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

In September 1954 the Wesley Foundation Student Center opened in a brick and concrete building funded by the United Methodist Church and private donors.

Woodyard Plaza
Jayhawk Boulevard west of Wescoe Hall
Lawrence, KS 66045
This small plaza between Wescoe Hall and Budig Hall/Hoch Auditoria is paved in brick and has three benches. Dedicated June 11, 2005, it is a gift from Dorothy Woodyard in honor of her brother, George Woodyard, professor emeritus of Spanish and Portuguese and first dean of International Studies (1989-96). Tf
Youngberg Hall
2385 Irving Hill Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

Designed by Neville, Sharp & Simon of Kansas City and completed in 1960, this brick building originally housed the Center for Research in Engineering Science, which became the Center for Research Inc. in 1962.

From January 1976 to April 1998 it housed KU Endowment, which built it and owns it, and it is named for Irvin E. Youngberg, a 1942 alumnus and the association’s executive secretary 1948-75. 


One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times