Bernard “Poco” Frazier. 1942
Elements of Art Moderne and Art Deco combine on the facade of Lindley Hall. Two three-story columns mark the main entry, and three inset limestone bas-reliefs of geologists and engineers are executed in a socialist-realist style.
Bernard “Poco” Frazier created the three sculptures for what was called the Mineral Resources Building when it opened in 1943. Each is 5 feet 3 inches by 3 feet 6 inches and 6 to 8 inches deep and bears a large and a smaller image of men engaged in scenes connected to the earth sciences: (from left) petroleum engineering (a large hoisting apparatus), chemical engineering (tubing and a tower) and geology and mining (pickaxe).