Louise Nevelson, 1971
This aluminum piece, painted black and mounted on the north promenade of the Spencer Museum of Art, is by Louise Nevelson and was purchased by the Spencer Museum in 1983 with support from the Price R. & Flora Reid Foundation, the Spencer Fund, KU Endowment and the National Endowment for the Arts. It is 8 feet tall, 1 foot 10 inches wide and 2 feet 6 inches deep and is mounted on a base approximately 2 feet square.
Nevelson, (1900-88), a Russian-born American artist, was a pioneer of environmental sculpture. Her work is in the collections of the Whitney and the Guggenheim museums and the Museum of Modern Art in New York, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the Detroit Institute of Art and the National Gallery of Art, among many others.