In June 2005, construction began on the hall of athletics on the east face of the fieldhouse. The two-story, 26,000-square-foot facility was designed by HOK Sport+Venue+Event of Kansas City, Mo., and opened Jan. 21, 2006. It houses a hall of fame for Kansas athletes and sports, with a special emphasis on the contributions of James Naismith, inventor of basketball, KU's first basketball coach and a longtime faculty member; and Forrest C. "Phog" Allen, KU's great coach, who played for Naismith. The hall also includes the ticket office; www.kustore.com; and donor, alumni and recruiting meeting rooms.
It is named for the late Gilbert and Betty Booth, staunch KU supporters who lived a few blocks from the fieldhouse. More than $4 million of the $8 million cost was donated by their children and grandchildren: David (1968 bachelor's in economics, 1969 master's in business) and Suzanne Deal Booth of Los Angeles and their children, Erin and Chandler; Mark and Lauren Bacich Booth of London and their children, Miles, Coco and Cyrus; and Mark and Jane Booth Berkley of Tescott, Kan., and their children and spouses, Stuart and Tina Berkley, Elizabeth and Pete Reininga, and Melissa and Marko Ungashick.
Construction began in fall 2014 on the DeBruce Center, which will house Naismith's original "Rules of Basket Ball" as well as a student center and meeting rooms. The three-story, $18 million center adjoining the northeast corner of the Fieldhouse and the Booth Hall will be named for Paul and Katherine DeBruce, 1973 alumni who are primary donors.
Naismith wrote the rules of the game he invented in December 1891. The sheets of paper, typewritten and annotated by Naismith, were purchased for $4.3 million at auction in December 2010 and donated to KU by David and Suzanne Deal Booth.