Buildings

Building
Adams Alumni Center
1266 Oread Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The redbrick classical-style building, designed by Kiene & Bradley Architectural Partnership of Topeka, was dedicated May 14, 1983, in the centennial year of the Alumni Association. The association had been housed in Fraser and Strong halls, Sudler House and the Kansas Union before the new center was built. An alumni fund drive raised $4.2 million for construction, and the KU Endowment Association donated a site northeast of the Kansas Union.

Building
Allen Fieldhouse
1651 Naismith Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

The fieldhouse, which opened March 1, 1955, is named for Forrest C. "Phog" Allen, longtime basketball coach who played for and was trained by James Naismith, the game's founder, a longtime KU professor of physical culture and its first basketball coach. The fieldhouse and its basketball court, now named for Naismith, superseded the facilities at the original Robinson Gymnasium, built in 1907 and razed in the late 1960s, and Hoch Auditorium, where games were played from 1927 to 1955. Like those facilities, the fieldhouse also has been the site of concerts and university functions.

Building
Ambler Student Recreation Fitness Center
1740 Watkins Center Dr
Lawrence, KS 66046

Increasing demand for both educational and recreational sports facilities spurred the decision in the late 1990s to build a new student center. The $17-million facility south of Watkins Memorial Health Center, funded by student fees, was dedicated Sept. 25, 2003. In December 2007, it was named in honor of David A. Ambler, the longtime vice chancellor for student affairs who was a strong advocate for a new recreation fitness center.

Building
Anderson Family Football Complex
1146 Fambrough Way
Lawrence, KS 66044

The $31-million football complex adjacent to Memorial Stadium, begun in October 2006, opened in August 2008. HNTB Architecture of Kansas City, Mo., oversaw plans for the 80,000-square-foot complex. It includes academic areas; locker rooms; facilities for weight and cardio training, hydrotherapy, audio-visual screenings and nutrition; coaches’ offices; two practice fields; and new parking lots. The roof of the weight room, about 20,000 square feet, is bermed into the hill to the southwest of the stadium and covered with grass.

Building
Anderson Family Strength and Conditioning Center
1575 Irving Hill Rd
Lawrence, KS 66045

Named for Dana, a 1959 business graduate, and Sue Anderson of Los Angeles and their family, longtime KU supporters and its chief donors, the 42,000-square-foot facility at the northwest corner of Anschutz Sports Pavilion was dedicated April 19, 2003. It is used by all athletic department sports and houses the strength and conditioning department staff offices; weight, exercise and conditioning rooms; and conference and tutoring rooms.

Building
Anschutz Library
1301 Hoch Auditoria Dr
Lawrence, KS 66045

Dedicated Oct. 7, 1989, it is named in honor of Fred and Marian Anschutz, parents of Philip Anschutz, a 1961 business alumnus and entrepreneur in telecommunications, entertainment and media companies, sports teams and arenas, railroads, and real estate. He and his wife, Nancy, gave $6.5 million for an endowed library acquisitions fund.

Building
Anschutz Sports Pavilion
1575 Irving Hill Rd
Lawrence, KS 66045

The pavilion is named for Fred Anschutz, a 1933 alumnus who was its chief donor, and was dedicated Oct. 27, 1984. It houses practice areas for football, track, softball/baseball and soccer; the Ray Evans Football Field and Bill Easton Track practice areas; and the Shaffer-Holland Strength Center, superseded in March 2003 by the Anderson Family Strength and Conditioning Center.

Building
Baehr Audio-Reader Center
1120 W 11TH St
Lawrence, KS 66044

The Audio-Reader Center opened in November 1988 after the original 1910 building—formerly the Phi Kappa Theta fraternity house—was renovated by von Achen Chartered Architects. The center, a statewide reading service for blind and visually impaired people staffed largely by volunteer readers, is named for the Louis and Dolpha Baehr Charitable Foundation of Paola, Kan., a major donor to its programs.

Building
Bailey Hall
1440 Jayhawk Blvd
Lawrence, KS 66045

Bailey Hall, completed in 1900, was designed by John G. Haskell and built in response to surging enrollments in chemistry and pharmacy that made the 1883 Chemistry Hall (“the Shack”), also designed by Haskell, too small and outdated.

Building
Battenfeld Scholarship Hall
1425 Alumni Pl
Lawrence, KS 66044

This hall housing 48 students was the first men’s residence hall built at the university. It was the gift of Mr. and Mrs. J.R. Battenfeld of Kansas City in memory of their son John Curry Battenfeld, killed in a car accident in December 1939. Designed by Morton Payne and Russell Field of Kansas City, the three-story Georgian brick building opened in September 1940.

Building
Bioscience and Technology Business Center
2029 Becker Drive
Lawrence, KS 66047

Gould Evans Associates of Lawrence designed this two-story, 20,000-square-foot building northwest of the School of Pharmacy on Becker Drive in west campus, and construction began in fall 2009. The $7.25-million building houses laboratories and office space for start-up companies, emerging technology businesses, and collaborations involving KU researchers and large technology firms.

Building
Blake Hall
1541 Lilac Ln
Lawrence, KS 66044

The first hall on this site was a physics building designed by State Architect Seymour Davis in imitation of a French chateau admired by physics professor Lucien I. Blake. A dapper man with a vivacious personality, Blake was also a noted scientist in electricity, thermodynamics and X-rays. 

Building
Boathouse
220 Indiana St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

Opened at ceremonies Feb. 28, 2009, that also acknowledged the 40th anniversary of women’s athletics at KU, the 16,000-square-foot boathouse was designed by Peterson Architects of Cambridge, Mass., and Treanor Architects of Lawrence.

Building
Booth Family Hall of Athletics
Allen Fieldhouse
1651 Naismith Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

In June 2005, construction began on the hall of athletics on the east face of the fieldhouse. The two-story, 26,000-square-foot facility was designed by HOK Sport+Venue+Event of Kansas City, Mo., and opened Jan. 21, 2006. It houses a hall of fame for Kansas athletes and sports, with a special emphasis on the contributions of James Naismith, inventor of basketball, KU's first basketball coach and a longtime faculty member; and Forrest C. "Phog" Allen, KU's great coach, who played for Naismith.

Building
Bridwell Botany Research Laboratory
2031 Constant Ave
Lawrence, KS 66047

Francis H. Snow, one of the first three professors at the university, held the natural history chair and founded KU’s botanical collection, which was housed in old and new Snow halls. Ronald L. McGregor, herbarium director 1954-88, oversaw a huge expansion in specimens, and to accommodate it the collection was moved to this 9,000-square-foot redbrick building in west campus, designed by George Beal, in 1966. The research laboratory and herbarium are affiliated with the Natural History Museum and Biodiversity Institute.

Building
Broadcasting Hall KPR
1120 E 11th St.
Lawrence, KS 66046

Completed and opened in September 2003, the building houses Kansas Public Radio, a consortium of three northeast Kansas public-radio stations of which KANU 91.5-FM is the flagship. It has five production studios, a music library and a performance hall seating 50. It was funded by donations from Hortense Oldfather, the Sunderland Foundation and the Endowment Association; von Achen Chartered Architects designed the new structure, which adjoins the Baehr Audio-Reader Center.

Building
Budig Hall/Hoch Auditoria
1455 Jayhawk Blvd
Lawrence, KS 66045

Named for Gene A. Budig, chancellor 1981-94, and dedicated Oct. 31, 1997, it replaced the building that was designed in the Collegiate Gothic style by State Architect Charles D. Cuthbert and that opened as University Auditorium in 1927; it was named in 1938 for former Kansas Gov. Edward W. Hoch (1905-09).

Building
Burge Union
1601 Irving Hill Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

Burge Union, opened in 1979 and named for Frank Burge, longtime director of the Memorial Unions, will close in March 2016 and be razed and rebuilt using mostly funds from student fees. Plans are being finalized, but the new building should be about 33,500 square feet and have 1.5 stories and a basement. It is one of several projects planned for the west side of the Central District; others are a new residence hall, students apartments, utility plant, parking garage, and an integrated science building.

Building
Capitol Federal Hall
1645 Naismith Drive
Lawrence , KS 66045

Construction continues on the four-story Capitol Federal Hall, the new School of Business building south of Robinson Center and east of Allen Fieldhouse on Naismith Drive. The $65.7 million, 166,000-square-foot structure was designed by Gensler of Chicago, partnered locally by Gastinger Walker Harden + BeeTriplett Buck of Kansas City; it is being constructed entirely through private funding. The building completion is scheduled for fall 2016.

Building
Carruth-O’Leary Hall
1246 W Campus Rd
Lawrence, KS 66044

This building opened in 1955 as a men's residence hall and was converted in 1965 to offices and classrooms for academic departments such as English, classics and Romance languages. Since 1986 it has housed the Department of Human Resources and Equal Opportunity, the comptroller’s office, Institutional Research and Planning and Design and Construction Management.

Building
Center for Design Research
2544 Westbrooke Circle
Lawrence, KS 66049

This new facility for collaborative research in sustainable energy, which adjoins Chamney House on the south, was dedicated July 16, 2011. An 1,820-square-foot, one-story stone building, it was funded by donations to and designed and built by about 20 architecture students in Studio 804, a program of the School of Architecture, Design and Planning.

Building
Chalmers Hall
1467 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

Planning for a dedicated building to house visual arts and their academic offices began in earnest about 1970, after courses had been scattered in a dozen campus buildings — including Bailey Annex, Memorial Stadium, Flint Hall, Chamney House and Barn, and the Wesley Building — for nearly 90 years. The new building was designed by Paul Krause, a 1956 alumnus and principal at Horner & Krause of Kansas City, Kansas. Construction began in 1977 on the hilltop south of Marvin Hall.

Building
Chamney House
2545 W. Bob Billings Parkway
Lawrence, KS 66045

In September 1963, KU Endowment acquired this 130-acre property, house, barn, and outbuildings from the Chamney family, leading Lawrence dairy farmers since 1912.

The School of Fine Arts used the house in the early 1970s for interior design classes and craft studios. It also housed the Center for Design Research until summer 2011, when a new, energy-efficient structure south of the house opened.

Building
Chancellor’s residence "The Outlook"
1532 Lilac Lane
Lawrence, KS 66045

In 1912, Lawrence banker Jabez B. Watkins (1845-1921) built the three-story, 26-room house designed by W.J. Mitchell for himself and his wife, Elizabeth Miller Watkins. She lived in the home until her death in 1939, willing it to the university as a chancellor’s residence. It replaced the original brick chancellor’s residence at 1345 Louisiana St. 

Chancellor Deane W. Malott and his family were the first to live in the home. The first floor is used for receptions and other public functions; the upper stories are family living quarters. 

Building
Construction & Landscape Building
1603 Westbrooke
Lawrence, KS 66046

Part of the Facilities Services Complex, it has offices and shops for carpenters, painters, plumbers, steamfitters, lock shop, moving crew, storage, recycling facilities, etc.

Building
Corbin Residence Hall
420 W. 11th St. Lawrence
Lawrence, KS 66045

Opened in 1923 as the first residence hall at KU, the women’s hall was named — despite her protests — in honor of Alberta Corbin, an 1893 alumna and professor of German who was a suffragist leader, first university “adviser of women” and an advocate of women’s housing. The original, south building, designed by State Architect Ray Gamble in the English colonial style, was on the site of the university’s first building, North College (1866). In 1951 North Corbin, housing 180 more women, opened; in 1958 the buildings were connected, and both were renovated in the 1990s.

Building
Crawford Community Center

The 1892 home of Juanita Strait, bequeathed to KU Endowment at her death in 2002, was refurbished as a community center for the scholarship halls that surround it and an office and apartment for the scholarship-halls complex director. Mrs. Strait, a longtime piano teacher, was the widow of Reginald Strait, a physical education professor, and she had befriended many scholarship-hall students. 

Pages


Filter by
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
Nearly $290 million in financial aid annually
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
—ALA
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times