In September 1963, KU Endowment acquired this 130-acre property, house, barn, and outbuildings from the Chamney family, leading Lawrence dairy farmers since 1912.
The School of Fine Arts used the house in the early 1970s for interior design classes and craft studios. It also housed the Center for Design Research until summer 2011, when a new, energy-efficient structure south of the house opened.
The barn, now a modelshop/prototype lab, was a glassblowing studio. Recent renovations to the house and barn, funded by KU Endowment, included new roofs, masonry repairs, and new thermal windows.