Opened in 1923 as the first residence hall at KU, the women’s hall was named in honor of Alberta Corbin, an 1893 alumna and professor of German who was a suffragist leader, first university “adviser of women” and an advocate of women’s housing. The original, south building, designed by State Architect Ray Gamble in the English colonial style, adjoins the site of the university’s first building, North College (1866). In 1951 North Corbin, housing 180 more women, opened; in 1958 the buildings were connected, and both were renovated in the 1990s.
It is undergoing a $13.5-million restoration and updating of the main entry, public spaces, and student rooms; and mechanical, plumbing, and electrical systems; it will reopen in fall 2018. It has 149 rooms in a mix of singles, doubles, and triples for 290 women. The Student Housing Department is based in Corbin.