The first baseball field on this site south of Allen Fieldhouse, built in 1958, was named for Earnest Q. Quigley, KU athletic director 1944-50, a National League umpire and a football and basketball official.
In 1987, major renovations including a new press box, restrooms, concession stands, computerized scoreboard and lighting were carried out, funded largely by gifts from Forrest Hoglund and from Neil Mecaskey in memory of his travel-agency partner Tom Maupin. Hoglund, a 1956 graduate in mechanical engineering who lettered in baseball, is an oil executive and with his wife and brother is a major benefactor to KU and the KU Medical Center.
The stadium was renamed Hoglund-Maupin Ballpark. Before the 1999 season, Hoglund gave $1.5 million of the $1.8 million needed for extensive renovations and improvements designed by the Lawrence firm of Glenn, Livingood & Penzler Architects, and the field was rededicated in his name. In 2006, an indoor facility costing $850,000 and paid for by alumni donations was completed next to right field.
In 2009, the 4,000-square-foot McCarthy Family Clubhouse behind the dugout on the first-base side opened. It comprises a locker room, training room, cardio room, players’ lounge, and study area. It is named for Kent McCarthy and his family, major donors to the $2 million project. In 2014 upgrades were done to indoor facilities, backstop and outfield wall padding, pitching mound, and bullpens.
The ballpark seating capacity is 2,500, and dimensions of the fully turfed field are 330-392-300 feet.