Integrated Science Building

1567 Irving Hill Road Lawrence, KS 66045

By fall 2018, the Integrated Science Building — the centerpiece of the $350-million, 55-acre Central District redevelopment project — will be open for classes and research.

The 280,000-square-foot facility, designed by Perkins + Will architectural firm and costing $117 million, provides adaptable laboratory and teaching spaces designed to encourage learning and interdisciplinary research in chemistry, medicinal chemistry, physics, molecular biosciences and related fields.

It features exterior and interior windows to allow dynamic light flow and a central atrium; it has a 325-seat lecture hall, 18 classroom/labs, and 35 modular research labs. Edgemoor Infrastructure & Real Estate LLC oversaw development, construction, operations, and maintenance. The Central District project was funded through a public-private partnership.

The building is connected to the new Burge Union, built on roughly the site of the original satellite union, and a $20-million Central District Parking Garage, designed by DLR Group architects, to the south. A $15-million central utility plant is west of the ISB near Irving Hill Road.