This hall was partly funded by the estate of Lawrence merchant and philanthropist Luther N. Lewis (1865-1933) and his widow, Lucene Barker Lewis, who died in 1956; both attended KU in the 1880s. It opened in spring 1960 and housed 432 women; major renovations were done in 1998-99. It now houses about 280 men and women; each floor, or “house,” honors a person or tradition of excellence at KU. In 1983 Ekdahl Dining Commons adjoining Lewis was opened.
280 men and women