Lippincott Hall

(LIPP)
1410 Jayhawk Blvd. Lawrence, KS 66045

This Greco-Roman columned stone building was designed by State Architect John F. Stanton and dedicated Nov. 3, 1905. By student request it was named for James Woods Green, for 41 years (1879-1919) dean of the School of Law. In 1978 a new, much enlarged law building was erected west of Murphy Hall on 15th Street. The old hall was renamed for Joshua Lippincott, the fourth chancellor, on Oct. 23, 1979; it now houses the Office of Study Abroad, the Applied English Center and the Wilcox Classical Museum. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

The statue of “Uncle Jimmy” Green and a student, sculpted by Daniel Chester French and unveiled in 1924, remains at Lippincott. It was one of three memorials funded by the Million Dollar Drive that began in late 1920 and that also built Memorial Stadium and Kansas Union.