The $2.4 million hall, designed by Hollis & Miller of Overland Park, opened in fall 1971 and was dedicated Sept. 29, 1972. It was named for Raymond F. Nichols (1903-99), 12th chancellor (1972-73) and chancellor emeritus, journalism alumnus (1926 and 1928) and longtime KU administrator (1929-73).
Space technology was the early focus of the divisions at Nichols Hall. It now houses the Information & Telecommunication Technology Center (ITTC), the Center for Remote Sensing of Ice Sheets (CReSIS), and the KU Geology Isotope Geochemistry Laboratories (IGL).
ITTC faculty, staff and students conduct research and development in seven laboratories: Bioinformatics & Computational Life Sciences, Communications & Networking Systems, Computer Systems Design, e-Learning Design, Information Assurance, Intelligent Systems, and Radar Systems & Remote Sensing. ITTC is a Kansas Technology Enterprise Corporation Center of Excellence.
CReSIS is a collaborative research center comprising university, industry, and international partners, that has its administrative, educational, and laboratory/machining operations here. It is a Science & Technology Center established by the National Science Foundation.