Snow Hall

(SNOW)
1460 Jayhawk Blvd. Lawrence, KS 66045
 
 
 
 
 

When it opened in 1930, “new” Snow Hall replaced the limestone building of 1886 designed by John G. Haskell and named for Francis H. Snow, the natural history professor who became the fifth chancellor (1890-1901). The original building had seriously deteriorated by 1915 and was a lethal risk by the mid-1920s when funds were finally approved for a new science building. “Old Snow,” whose site was the northwest corner of the Watson Library lawn, was demolished in 1934. Salvaged stone was used to face the Military Science Building.

State Architect Charles Cuthbert and H.H. Lane of the zoology department collaborated to design the new Indiana limestone building in a modified Collegiate Gothic style. It housed the departments of botany, zoology, entomology and bacteriology; Snow’s renowned entomological collection; the botanical collection; classrooms; and labs. 

Wings were added on the north in 1950 and 1958; a major renovation in 1989-90 converted the 1958 addition to classrooms and offices and added new space for the Snow Entomological Museum. The entomology collections have been moved to the Public Safety Building and to Dyche Hall. Many of the science divisions moved to Haworth Hall, and Snow now houses the departments of mathematics and of economics; the environmental studies program; and architecture studios, faculty offices, craft shop and jury rooms.