The yellow-brick library, designed by Gould Evans Associates of Lawrence, was begun in 1984 and dedicated May 5, 1988.
It is named for Charles E. Spahr, a 1934 engineering alumnus, emeritus chair and CEO of Standard Oil Co. of Ohio and a KU benefactor who with his wife made a major endowment to the library.
The two-story, 13,000-square-foot library holds about 70,000 books and serials and more than 350,000 microfiche items. It is connected by an enclosed walkway to the first floor of Learned Hall, the main engineering building, and shares a courtyard with Learned and Eaton halls. An addition was completed in fall 1990.