The building houses the William Allen White School of Journalism & Mass Communications; administrative and faculty offices; classrooms; Kansas Scholastic Press Association; Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism; Kansas Journalism Institute, and the William Allen White Foundation.
The student newspapers, the University Daily Kansan, is part of the Stan and Madeline Stauffer Multimedia Newsroom, which provides editing, broadcast and newsroom facilities in the Dole Human Development Center, adjacent to Stauffer-Flint.
The hall was built in 1897-98 with a $21,000 gift from George A. Fowler, a Kansas City meatpacker and rancher, in honor of his father. Kansas City architects Walter C. Root and George W. Siemens designed the Oread limestone building, distinguished by a tower at the east end, as a practical shop and studio for engineering students. In 1949 a new shop was built south of Marvin and Lindley halls on Naismith Drive. The original building was remodeled, and the School of Journalism and the University Press moved in 1952 from the decrepit Chemistry/Medical Hall (“the Shack”) near Watson Library, which they had occupied since 1923. The building was renamed in honor of longtime journalism professor Leon N. Flint, department chair 1916-41.
The journalism department was established in the College in 1909; Flint had helped initiate the program in 1903. In 1945 the department was named the William Allen White School of Journalism and Public Information in honor of the late Emporia publisher/editor/alumnus. In 1981 Topeka media magnate Oscar Stauffer donated $1 million for a complete renovation designed by Gould Evans Associates of Lawrence; the building was renamed to honor him as well as Flint in 1982.