This building was originally the garage of the home bequeathed to KU by the estate of Dr. Mervin T. Sudler (1874-1956), Lawrence physician, professor of anatomy, and dean of the Medical School 1921-24. The adjacent home, built in 1927, is now the Max Kade Center for German-American Studies.
This native stone structure was built about 1861 as a stable on property owned by James H. Lane (1814-66), prominent abolitionist and one of Kansas' first senators after statehood in January 1861. He was general of the Kansas Brigade in the Civil War and a chief target of William C. Quantrill's raid on Lawrence in August 1863. He escaped the raiders by hiding in a cornfield near his home at Eighth and Mississippi streets.
From 1975 to May 2010 the building was known as "the Shack" and housed the student radio station KJHK-FM; the station moved to new studios on the third floor of the Kansas Union. Plans call for remodeling the building for offices and meeting space.