When it was dedicated April 9, 1960, this five-story yellow-buff brick building, designed by State Architect John Brink, was notable for the glass curtain wall on its south face. Summerfield was initially designed to house the University Computation Center, superseded in 1978 by the Price Computing Center to the east on Sunnyside Ave.
It occupies the site of eight World War II temporary buildings called Sunnyside Apartments and used by married students. A five-story addition, designed by Nearing and Staats of Mission and built by private donations, was dedicated Nov. 4, 1983.
The School of Business, founded in 1924, was housed here until Capitol Federal Hall opened in 2016 south of Robinson Center and east of Allen Fieldhouse, on Naismith Drive. It now houses the offices, studios and classrooms of the department of film and media Studies, Counseling & Psychological Services testing facilities, and the University Career Center, among other entities.
The building is named for Solon E. Summerfield (1877-1947), a Lawrence native whose father was a KU law professor. Summerfield earned bachelor’s and law degrees (1899, 1901) at KU and moved to New York, where he founded the Gotham Silk Hosiery Co. In 1929 he endowed the Summerfield scholarship program for men.