In 1998 the cafeteria/dining hall of Templin Residence Hall was renovated and expanded for use as the Visitor Center and the Office of Admissions. The center provides brochures, maps, exhibits, tours and other introductory information about KU. The admissions office provides information about application standards and processes, financial aid, credits, etc.
In 2002, the Malott Gateway west of the center was dedicated. Comprising a stone and wrought-iron wall, brick paths and landscaped terrace, it is named for former Chancellor Deane W. Malott and his wife, Eleanor, who were active in beautifying the campus during their tenure (1939-51). It was built with a $1 million gift from their son, Robert, a 1948 chemistry graduate and retired chair of FMC Corp., and his wife, Elizabeth.