Buildings

Building
Danforth Chapel
1405 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

William H. Danforth, chair of Ralston Purina Co., provided the largest single donation for the chapel through his foundation; the rest of the funding and most of the furnishings were donated by faculty, students, alumni and Lawrence residents. Edward W. Tanner of Kansas City, KU’s first architectural engineering graduate in 1916 and principal designer for the J.C. Nichols Co. 1919-64, designed the 90-seat Gothic Revival structure. The construction was done in part by German prisoners of war, many of them masons, who were detained in a Lawrence facility.

Building
DeBruce Center
1647 Naismith Drive
Lawrence , KS 66045

Construction began in fall 2014 on the center, which will house James Naismith's original "Rules of Basket Ball" as well as a student center and meeting rooms. The three-story, $18 million center adjoining the northeast corner of the Fieldhouse and the Booth Hall of Athletics will be named for Paul and Katherine DeBruce, 1973 alumni who are primary donors. Completion of the 31,000-square-foot structure, which will be connected to the second-level concourse of the field house, is expected in fall 2015.

Building
Dole Human Development Center
1000 Sunnyside Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The center was dedicated Aug. 25, 1990, and named in honor of Kansas Sen. Robert J. Dole, an advocate for people with disabilities. Kiene & Bradley Design Group designed the $12 million classroom and clinic space, which houses undergraduate and graduate departments and research and training centers, including the Department of Applied Behavioral Science and affiliates such as the Child and Family Services Clinic, gerontology, early childhood autism, the Edna A.

Building
Dole Institute of Politics
2350 Petefish Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

This west campus building, dedicated in July 2003, is named for retired Kansas Sen. Robert J. Dole. The $11 million, 28,000-square-foot facility, designed by ASIA of Lenexa, houses papers from Dole’s 35-year career and is the world’s largest congressional archive.

Building
Douthart Scholarship Hall
1345 Louisiana St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

This hall houses 48 women in 12 bedroom/study area suites. It opened in 1954 and was largely funded by the gift of Burt Chronister of Kansas City, Kan., in memory of his wife, Ava Douthart Chronister, a 1901 graduate, and her sister Lela Douthart, an 1899 alumna. The architect was Raymond Coolidge.

Building
Dyche Hall
1345 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

One of KU’s signature buildings, Dyche Hall was built as the Museum of Natural History in 1901-02 to a design by Kansas City architects Walter C. Root and George W. Siemens; they used the Venetian Romanesque style characteristic of southern European churches of 1050-1200. The limestone building, distinguished by a steep-roofed tower, arched doorway and elaborate stone ornamentations of natural and fantastic animals and plants, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

Building
Earth, Energy & Environment Center
1414 and 1420 Naismith Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

Construction has begun on the Earth, Energy & Environment Center adjoining Lindley Hall on the southwest at Jayhawk Boulevard and Naismith Drive. The 130,000-square-foot interdisciplinary center will have auditoriums, classrooms, laboratories, and multipurpose spaces designed to foster collaboration among researchers, scientists, and students in geology, chemical and petroleum engineering, geophysics, energy, nanotechnology, and the environment. Its cost is expected to be $82 million, about half provided by private gifts.

Building
Eaton Hall
1520 W. 15th St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

This building in the engineering complex was dedicated Oct. 17, 2003, and named for major donor Robert J. Eaton, a 1963 alumnus and retired chair of DaimlerChrysler AG. Eaton donated $5 million for the project, about one-third of the cost of the 80,000-square-foot hall, which was funded entirely through private donations. It was designed by Gould Evans Associates of Lawrence and is connected by an enclosed walkway to Learned Hall.

Building
Ellsworth Residence Hall
1734 Engel Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

Built in 1963 as a men’s hall, it is named for Fred Ellsworth, a 1922 journalism alumnus who from 1924 to 1963 was secretary of the Alumni Association and editor of its Graduate Magazine. Remodeled in 2002-03, it houses about 580 men and women in two-person rooms, suites and studios.

580 men and women​

Building
Engineering Structural Testing & Student Project Facility STSP
2037 Becker Drive
Lawrence, KS 66047

This building incorporates a high bay facility for research, testing and developing large structural systems such as concrete piers or steel girder connections for bridges; and a student projects fabrication center for design competition teams and students in capstone design courses. Faculty and students in several School of Engineering departments use the 24,700-square-foot building, completed in summer 2014.

Building
Facilities Administration Building
1503 Sunflower Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

The limestone main building was designed by Superintendent E.F. Crocker and constructed by the Buildings & Grounds Department in 1906. A second story and entry were added in 1926. The complex south of Stauffer-Flint Hall includes the 1922 power plant, designed by State Architect Ray Gamble and John Shea of B&G, and class whistle; offices and shops for Facilities Services units including plumbing, electrical, engineering, major systems and maintenance departments; and the main storeroom.
 

Building
Foley Hall
2021 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047

This redbrick building was originally the Frank C. Foley Geohydrology Center, an annex of the Kansas Geological Survey named for its director 1954-70. It opened in spring 1980, and in 1989 the survey moved its office into Parker Hall. The Kansas Biological Survey was housed here from 1989 to 2003; Foley now houses Monarch Watch, which monitors the migrations and habitats of monarch butterflies. Monarch Watch is directed by Orley “Chip” Taylor, professor of ecology and evolutionary biology.

Building
Fraser Hall
1415 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

This building of cottonwood and silverdale limestone opened March 6, 1967. It sits on the second-highest point on Mount Oread — 1,031 feet — and is visible for miles. (The highest point is 1,037 feet, between Joseph R. Pearson Hall and Carruth-O'Leary Hall on West Campus Road.) Construction began in March 1965 on the $2.2 million structure, designed by State Architect James Canole and T.R. Griest of Topeka.

Building
Grace Pearson Scholarship Hall
1335 Louisiana St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

Funded by the gift of Joseph R. and Gertrude Sellards Pearson and named in honor of his sister, it is adjacent to and mirrors Douthart Hall, also designed by Raymond Coolidge of Topeka. The three-story brick building opened in fall 1955 as a women’s hall, but in fall 1960 it became a men’s hall. It now houses 48 men in four-person suites.

Building
Green Hall
1535 W. 15th St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

This five-story building west of Naismith Drive and Murphy Hall opened for classes Oct. 17, 1977, and was dedicated Feb. 20-21, 1978. It retained the name of the 1905 hall built on Jayhawk Boulevard to house the School of Law and named in honor of Dean James W. “Uncle Jimmy” Green. It was designed by Lawrence R. Good & Associates of Lawrence; in 1987 former Chancellor and Mrs. W. Clarke Wescoe donated “Tai Chi Figure,” a large sculpture by Zhu Ming, which was sited near the hall’s entrance.

Building
Hall Center for the Humanities
900 Sunnyside Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The center, dedicated April 9, 2005, incorporates nine limestone arches and the walls from KU’s oldest surviving structure, the 1887 Powerhouse designed by John G. Haskell. The center includes a 120-seat conference room, seminar room and offices for Hall Center staff and research fellows. It was built with a $4.07 million gift from the Hall Family Foundation and state and private funds.

Building
Hambleton Hall
1930 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047

This 1983 addition to Moore Hall includes an auditorium seating 45 and is named for William W. Hambleton, alumnus/faculty member, state geologist and KGS director 1970-87. It houses the Publication Sales division of the KGS, the Data Access and Support program and public data and library services.

Building
Hashinger Residence Hall
1632 Engel Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

This 1962 Daisy Hill residence hall, named for Margaret Battenfeld Hashinger, houses about 370 men and women since major renovations in 2005-06. It has a performing-arts focus and offers studio, rehearsal and performance space for residents.

Building
Haworth Hall
1200 Sunnyside Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The first Haworth Hall opened in fall 1909 and housed the departments of geology and mineralogy, whose chair 1892-1920 was Erasmus Haworth. An 1881 and 1884 alumnus who founded the Kansas Geological Survey in 1894, Haworth who was known to his students as “Daddy.” 

Building
Higuchi Hall
2101 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047

Named for Takeru Higuchi, Regents Distinguished Professor of Chemistry and Pharmacy 1967-87, the building was completed in 1969; major renovations were done in 1989. It now houses the Kansas Biological Survey (KBS), a research and service unit whose programs and activities range from aquatic and terrestrial ecology to remote sensing.

KBS research units housed in Higuchi include the Central Plains Center for Bioassessment, the Kansas Applied Remote Sensing Program, the KU Field Station, the Native Medicinal Plant Research Program and Reservoir Assessment.

 

Building
Hill Engineering Research & Development Center
2035 Becker Drive 66045
Lawrence , KS 66045

Completed in June 2013 by the School of Architecture, Design & Planning’s Studio 804 design/build class, this advanced research facility houses KU EcoHawks, a School of Engineering student program that focuses on sustainable energy approaches for automobiles and infrastructure. The open structure, divided into two enclosed pods and one open-air pod, incorporates aluminum recycled from a Wichita airplane manufacturer and glass from a Kansas City, Mo., building project, Aerogel insulating panels, and photovoltaic panels on the entry canopy.

Building
Hill Engineering Research & Development Center
2035 Becker Drive
Lawrece, KS 66045

Completed in June 2013 by the School of Architecture, Design & Planning’s Studio 804 design/build class, this advanced research facility houses KU EcoHawks, a School of Engineering student program that focuses on sustainable energy approaches for automobiles and infrastructure. The open structure, divided into two enclosed pods and one open-air pod, incorporates aluminum recycled from a Wichita airplane manufacturer and glass from a Kansas City, Mo., building project, Aerogel insulating panels, and photovoltaic panels on the entry canopy.

Building
Hilltop Child Development Center
1605 Irving Hill Road
Child Care Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

This $3.3 million, 18,000-square-foot facility opened south of Burge Union in August 2000. It offers day care and educational programs for toddlers through sixth-graders on site as well as programs at three Lawrence elementary schools. Children of students, faculty, staff and affiliates may enroll.

Building
Horejsi Family Athletics Center
1550 Allen Fieldhouse Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

The 16,500-square-foot facility, completed in 1999 at the southwest corner of the fieldhouse, was funded by Stewart Horejsi of Salina, a 1959 graduate, and named for his family. It houses volleyball practice and competition courts, enlarged and remodeled in a 2009 project at Allen Fieldhouse.

Building
International House
704 W. 12th St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

International House, a residence for visiting scholars, was dedicated Feb. 9, 2008. Formerly the home of longtime business professor Frank Pinet and his family, the house was given to the university in 2001 and had been a residence and offices for visiting faculty and others.

Building
Jayhawker Towers Apartments
1603 W. 15th St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

Towers A-D: 6 floors, basement
Tower E: 2 floors
800 men and women

This apartment complex, opened Sept. 30, 1969, was bought by KU in 1980. It houses 800 single nontraditional, upper-class or transfer students in four towers; a fifth tower has a service center, commons and Academic Resource Center. All apartments are two-bedroom and shared by either two or four residents. The project, designed by Woodward & Cape of Dallas, was the brainchild of alumni K.S. Adams, W.W. Keeler, and Stanley Learned.

Building
Joseph R. Pearson Hall
1122 West Campus Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

One of five residence and scholarship halls funded by a 1945 bequest from Joseph R. and Gertrude Sellards Pearson, it was designed by State Architect John E. Brink and opened in January 1959 as a men’s hall; it closed in the early 1990s. In 2000, after major additions and renovations costing $14.1 million and designed by Gould Evans Associates, the School of Education moved in. Founded in 1909, the school had been housed in Bailey Hall since 1956; before that it was scattered in several campus buildings.

Building
K.K. Amini Scholarship Hall
1318 Louisiana St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

Named for Koli K. "K.K." Amini, a 1949 petroleum engineering graduate whose gift of $1 million funded its construction, the hall was built in 1992. It houses 50 men in three- or four-person suites. Gould Evans Associates of Lawrence designed it and its twin, Margaret Amini Scholarship Hall.

Pages


Filter by
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
Nearly $290 million in financial aid annually
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
—ALA
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times