Buildings

Building
Kansas Union
1301 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The need for a central meeting, entertainment and food service building had been discussed for several years before planning began for a union and stadium to honor the students, faculty, staff and alumni who died in World War I. Fund-raising for the Million Dollar Drive began in late 1920, and by late 1921 the first sections of a new stadium were completed on the site of McCook Field below Marvin Grove.

Building
Krehbiel Scholarship Hall
1301 Ohio St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

Alumnus Carl Krehbiel of Moundridge, Kan., donated $4 million to KU Endowment to fund a men’s scholarship hall in honor of his parents, alumni Kathyrn Krehbiel and the late Floyd H. Krehbiel.

Building
KU Endowment Building
1891 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047

KU Endowment, established in 1891, was the first foundation of its kind at a U.S. public university, and it remains one of the largest. It is independent and nonprofit and is the official fund-raising and fund-management organization for KU; it oversees gifts, bequests, endowments, property and other assets for the university.

Building
Kurata Thermodynamics Laboratories
2330 Crowell Drive
Lawrence, KS 66047

The 5,000-square-foot building, dedicated Oct. 27, 1990, was designed by Hicks-Messick & Associates of Lawrence. It is named for Fred Kurata, a professor of chemical and petroleum engineering 1947-78 who held two distinguished professorships and was a leader in thermodynamics research. This building replaced facilities near 15th and Iowa streets that were razed when the Lied Center was built. It houses experimental and analytical labs; safety areas; computer and conference areas; a library; and mechanical areas.

Building
Learned Engineering Expansion Phase 2 (LEEP2)
1536 W. 15th Street
Lawrence, KS 66045

An extension of the Measurement, Materials & Sustainable Environment Center at the School of Engineering, LEEP2 was dedicated Oct. 30, 2015. It has three stories in 110,000 square feet and extends west and south to the area formerly occupied by Burt Hall.

Building
Learned Engineering Expansion Phase 2/Main Campus Building
1536 W. 15th Street
Lawrence , KS 66045

Construction continues on the second of two structures built as part of an $80 million expansion of the School of Engineering complex. An extension of the Measurement, Materials & Sustainable Environment Center, it will be three stories and 110,000 square feet. It will extend west and south to the area formerly occupied by Burt Hall, razed to make room for the new structure.

Building
Learned Hall
1530 W. 15th St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

Civil engineering was among the earliest courses taught at KU; electrical engineering was added in 1887, and in 1891 the School of Engineering was founded. Its first dean was Frank O. Marvin, son of third chancellor James Marvin. Departments of chemical, mechanical, mining and architectural engineering were added during his tenure, and in 1927 the school was renamed to Engineering and Architecture. In 1909, Marvin Hall was completed to house the School of Engineering.

Building
Lewis Residence Hall
1530 Engel Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

This hall was partly funded by the estate of Lawrence merchant and philanthropist Luther N. Lewis (1865-1933) and his widow, Lucene Barker Lewis, who died in 1956; both attended KU in the 1880s. It opened in spring 1960 and housed 432 women; major renovations were done in 1998-99. It now houses about 280 men and women; each floor, or “house,” honors a person or tradition of excellence at KU. In 1983 Ekdahl Dining Commons adjoining Lewis was opened.

280 men and women​

Building
Library Annex
1880 Westbrooke Drive
Lawrence, KS 66044

The annex, designed by PGAV Architects of Westwood and opened in 2006, can house up to 1.6 million volumes from the KU Libraries’ collections. The climate-controlled storage area has nearly 7,900 square feet of shelving in units 35 feet tall. Materials stored here are cataloged and retrievable on request within 24 hours.

Building
Lied Center
1600 Stewart Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

The center, which opened in September 1993, was built largely with $10 million from the Lied Foundation Trust and is dedicated to Ernst M. and Ida K. Lied, parents of Ernst F. Lied (d. 1980). The younger Lied attended KU 1923-25; he owned a car dealership in Omaha and was a real-estate investor in Las Vegas.

Building
Lindley Hall
1475 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

Completed in 1943, the limestone hall was named for Ernest H. Lindley, chancellor 1920-39, who died shortly after retiring. It is sited on the crest of Mount Oread traversed by the Oregon Trail. Its Art Moderne design was by State Architect Roy Stookey, and limestone bas reliefs are by sculptor Bernard “Poco” Frazier. Its construction was delayed and complicated by World War II material shortages, which were alleviated only after Chancellor Deane W.

Building
Lippincott Hall
1410 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

This Greco-Roman columned stone building was designed by State Architect John F. Stanton and dedicated Nov. 3, 1905. By student request it was named for James Woods Green, for 41 years (1879-1919) dean of the School of Law. In 1978 a new, much enlarged law building was erected west of Murphy Hall on 15th Street. The old hall was renamed for Joshua Lippincott, the fourth chancellor, on Oct. 23, 1979; it now houses the Office of Study Abroad, the Applied English Center and the Wilcox Classical Museum. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

Building
Maintenance & Surplus Property
2303 Bob Billings Parkway
Lawrence, KS 66049

This facility is used for construction and maintenance projects and storage of tools, equipment and supplies by the student housing department.

Building
Malott Hall
1251 Wescoe Hall Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

Chemistry and physics had been taught at KU since its earliest years, and pharmacy was added in 1885. Surging enrollments after World War II emphasized the mechanical and technological shortcomings of Bailey Chemical Laboratory and Blake Hall, science facilities designed before the turn of the 20th century. Planning began in 1949 for a new building that would house the departments of chemistry and physics and the School of Pharmacy.

Building
Margaret Amini Scholarship Hall
1312 Louisiana St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

Named for Margaret Wenski Amini, 1946 journalism graduate who with her husband, K.K. Amini, gave $1.5 million for its construction, the hall opened in 2000. It houses 52 women and is the architectural twin of the adjacent K.K. Amini Scholarship Hall.

 

Building
Marvin Hall
1465 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

State Architect John F. Stanton designed this Oread limestone building, which opened in 1909 at what was then the extreme west end of campus. It was named for Frank O. Marvin, first dean of engineering (1891-1913), son of third chancellor James Marvin (1874-83) and a noted artist and musician. Engineering and architecture programs were based here and in several other campus buildings; they were consolidated as “new” Fowler Shops and other engineering workshops were built south of Marvin in ensuing decades. Learned Hall (1963) and its subsequent additions completed the process. 
 

Building
Marvin Studios
1400 Hoch Auditoria Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

This small, winged building south of Marvin Hall was designed by State Architects Ray Stookley and Charles L. Marshall and built in 1942 by Works Progress Administration and National Youth Administration crews with a technology of rammed earth and concrete bricks developed by engineering Professor W.C. McNown.

Building
Max Kade Center for German-American Studies
1134 W. 11th St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

Bequeathed to KU by the estate of Dr. Mervin T. Sudler (1874-1956), Lawrence physician, professor of anatomy, and dean of the Medical School 1921-24, this limestone house was built for him in 1927 by the Kansas City architectural firm of Buckley & van Brunt. It housed Audio-Reader and Architectural Services; the nearby garage, known as "the Shack," housed KJHK, the student radio station, from 1975 to 2010.

Building
McCarthy Hall
1741 Naismith Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

This three-story, $11.2-million apartment building opened in October 2015 to house the 16-member men’s basketball team, 21 older men students, and a resident director in two-bedroom/two-bath and four-bedroom/ two-bath apartments. Each apartment comprises a living room, full kitchen, dining room, and bedrooms; the building also has study rooms and a lounge on each floor, laundry facilities, a multipurpose room with kitchen, a recreation room, media room, a balcony deck, and a half-court basketball court.

Building
McCollum Laboratories
2095 Constant Ave
Lawrence, KS 66047

Named for Burton McCollum (1880-1964), a 1903 graduate in electrical engineering who made pioneering discoveries in sound-wave exploration and geophysics, this interdisciplinary research facility was funded by his estate and by income from more than 30 patents. Now part of the Higuchi Biosciences Center on west campus, it opened in May 1971 and was expanded in 1973. State Architect James Canole oversaw the project. It houses the pharmaceutical chemistry department of the School of Pharmacy.

Building
McCollum Residence Hall
1800 Engel Road
Lawrence, KS 66045
The largest residence hall for men and women on Daisy Hill, which opened in 1965, was demolished in November 2015. It was named for brothers Elmer V. and Burton McCollum, alumni and distinguished scientists who grew up in Lawrence.

Building
Memorial Carillon and Campanile
1450 Memorial Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

A badly needed fieldhouse was among the proposals for a commemoration to honor members of the university community and alumni who died in World War II. Chancellor Deane Malott and others were determined to build a structure that was purely a memorial and was not designed to fill a need of the university, as had been done after World War I with the stadium and the union.

Building
Memorial Stadium
1101 Maine St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

9 floors, basement

In 1889 students and faculty members organized the University Athletic Board to oversee competition in football, baseball and tennis with nearby colleges. KU’s games were played on fields at a city park on Massachusetts Street, and the board began trying to raise interest in a university stadium and a gymnasium. After Col. John James McCook, a Harvard-educated New York lawyer, gave the commencement address in 1890 and watched a faculty-student baseball game at the park, he donated $2,500 for a university playing field.

Building
Military Science Building
1520 Summerfield Hall Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

Construction began in spring 1941 on this Works Progress Administration project and was completed by legislative appropriations after the WPA was disbanded. The building — faced with limestone from old Snow Hall, demolished in 1934 — was completed Nov. 1, 1943. It houses the Reserved Officer Training Corps programs of the the U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, and the U.S. Navy; a rifle range and artillery storage; a drill room; classrooms; and offices.

Building
Miller Scholarship Hall
1518 Lilac Lane
Lawrence, KS 66044

In 1936 Elizabeth Miller Watkins donated $75,000 to build a twin immediately south of Watkins Scholarship Hall, which she had financed in 1925. The building was named for her brother, Frank C. Miller, a KU student in the 1880s. As she had before, Watkins oversaw the decorating and furnishing of the yellow-brick, colonial-style hall, designed by Thomas Williamson, which opened in 1937 and houses 49 women. Like Watkins Hall, Miller is partly maintained through a trust Watkins established.

Building
Moore Hall
1930 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047

This building, housing the Kansas Geological Survey, was designed by Thomas, Johnson, Isley and dedicated Feb. 2, 1973. It is named for Raymond C. Moore (1892-1974), state geologist, KGS director 1916-54 and a faculty member 1916-62; he was a Summerfield Distinguished Professor, chair of geology and a leading scholar/editor in invertebrate paleontology. It houses the KGS geohydrology and exploration services sections, along with Public Outreach and administration.

Building
Mount Oread

The curving limestone ridge where KU’s main campus was built received this name from Ferdinand Fuller on Aug. 1, 1854, when he and the other settlers in the New England Emigrant Aid Society arrived. The contingent was funded by abolitionists in Boston and the region and sent to the Kansas Territory to ensure that it joined the Union as a free state.

Building
Multidisciplinary Research Building
2030 Becker Drive
Lawrence, KS 66047

Construction began on the $40 million, three-story research center in fall 2004, and it was dedicated March 6, 2006. Housed in its 106,000 square feet are about 200 researchers, faculty, students and staff in engineering, chemistry, biology, geology and other natural sciences who do collaborative research in bioinformatics, drug discovery and nanoscience, among other fields.

Building
Murphy Hall
1530 Naismith Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

The School of Fine Arts was founded in 1891, combining the Department of Music, established in 1877, and the Department of Art, established in 1885. Between 1893 and 1917 the school was housed in the increasingly decrepit North College, the university's first building, until it was declared unfit for occupation.

Building
National Register of Historic Places

In April 2013, the University of Kansas Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places, after being listed on the Register of Historic Kansas Places in February 2013.

Pages


Filter by
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
Nearly $290 million in financial aid annually
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
—ALA
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times