Buildings

Building
Stauffer-Flint Hall
1435 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The building houses the William Allen White School of Journalism & Mass Communications; administrative and faculty offices; classrooms; Kansas Scholastic Press Association; Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism; Kansas Journalism Institute, and the William Allen White Foundation.

Building
Stephenson Scholarship Hall
1404 Alumni Place
Lawrence, KS 66044

Opened in fall 1951, the hall houses 47 men in two-person suites. Designed by Raymond Coolidge, it was partly funded by Mrs. Lyle Stephenson in memory of her husband, a Kansas City insurance salesman and amateur entomologist. It was built on the eastern edge of the Brynwood estate property obtained from Acacia fraternity by Olin Templin in 1939.

Building
Stouffer Place
19th and Iowa streets
Lawrence, KS 66047

This complex of 283 apartments in 25 buildings was opened in 1957 and named for Ellis B. Stouffer (1884-1965), dean of the Graduate School 1922-45 and dean of the university 1945-51. It housed students who are married or who have children living with them.

It was closed in summer 2015 and the buildings are being razed to accommodate several Central Districts projects, including a new residence hall, students apartments, a parking garage, and an integrated science building.

Building
Strong Hall
1450 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045
Surging enrollments after 1900 made a new administration and classroom building necessary, and Chancellor Frank H. Strong (1902-1920) began petitioning the legislature for funding. St. Louis architect Montrose Pallen McArdle was hired to design the building that Strong and the regents hoped would be “the center of the University architecture as well as the University life.” State Architect John Stanton, art professor William A. Griffith and College Dean Olin Templin advised.
Building
Sudler Annex
1132 W. 11th St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

This building was originally the garage of the home bequeathed to KU by the estate of Dr. Mervin T. Sudler (1874-1956), Lawrence physician, professor of anatomy, and dean of the Medical School 1921-24. The adjacent home, built in 1927, is now the Max Kade Center for German-American Studies.

Building
Summerfield Hall
1300 Sunnyside Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

When it was dedicated April 9, 1960, this five-story yellow-buff brick building, designed by State Architect John Brink, was notable for the glass curtain wall on its south face. It occupies the site of eight World War II temporary buildings used as Sunnyside Apartments for married students.

Building
Sunflower Apartments
1021 Missouri St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

The two-bedroom units provide one-year housing for new faculty, unclassified staff, postdoctoral fellows and visiting scholars. The brick, side-by-side duplexes were built in 1955.

19 units

Building
Templin Residence Hall
1515 Engel Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

Named for Olin Templin (1861-1943), a mathematics graduate who from 1883 to 1943 was professor of philosophy, dean of the College, chair of the Alumni Association, and secretary of the KU Endowment Association. He also was instrumental in establishing scholarship and residence halls. This seven-story residence hall, opened in 1959, was extensively remodeled in 1997 into single, two- and four-person suites for 274 men and women. Each floor, or “house,” honors a person or tradition of excellence at KU; an honors program community is based here, and students must attain a minimum GPA.

Building
Twente Hall
1545 Lilac Lane
Lawrence, KS 66045

Originally Watkins Memorial Hospital, it opened in January 1932 and was built with funds donated by Elizabeth Miller Watkins, a doctor’s daughter and widow of Lawrence banker/financier J.B. Watkins, for whom it was named. The unusual splayed-V design of the stone building, by State Architect Joseph E. Radotinsky, accommodates its site on the edge of the hill Watkins owned.

Building
University Guest House
1525 Pearson Place
Lawrence, KS 66045

This small house on the grounds of the chancellor’s residence, also known as the Rock Cottage, was built in the 1930s of stone left from construction of a retaining wall on the property. It was designed by architecture professor Verner F. Smith to be used by guests at the Outlook and was part of Elizabeth Miller Watkins’ 1939 bequest to KU. During the housing shortage after World War II, faculty members lived there. In 1952 the university remodeled it as a guest house, furnishing it from estate bequests and museum holdings.

Building
University Press
2502 Westbrooke Circle
Lawrence, KS 66045

The press, which publishes scholarly books for the six state regents institutions, other universities and scholars, dedicated this building on West Campus Oct. 11, 1991. Founded in 1946 specifically for KU but expanded in 1967 to other regents schools, the press had been housed in Stauffer-Flint and Carruth-O’Leary halls. This redbrick and stone building, designed by Ross & Gadgil of Overland Park, has 6,350 square feet and houses a staff of about 15.

Building
University Press Warehouse
1501 S. Crestline Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

The one-floor press warehouse, which has 7,000 square feet, adjoins the Public Safety Building, formerly KU Printing Services, at 1501 Crestline Drive, southeast of the University Press. It was designed by the Williams Huber Team of Lawrence and opened in 1990.

Building
Vehicle Maintenance Shop (Motor Pool)
1505 Westbrooke
Lawrence, KS 66049

Part of the Facilities Operations Complex: Offices and shops for carpenters, painters, plumbers, steamfitters, lock shop, moving crew, storage, recycling facilities, etc.

Building
Visitor Center
1502 Iowa St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

In 1998 the cafeteria/dining hall of Templin Residence Hall was renovated and expanded for use as the Visitor Center and the Office of Admissions. The center provides brochures, maps, exhibits, tours and other introductory information about KU. The office provides information about application standards and processes, financial aid, credits, etc.

Building
Wagnon Student Athlete Center
1555 Irving Hill Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

Major renovations and additions to the Allen Fieldhouse complex in 2009 enhanced this service center for student athletes, coaches and staff, and KU Athletics. The name honors donors Ken Wagnon and W.G. Parrott Jr.

Building
Warehouse
1851 Westbrooke
Lawrence, KS 66049

Part of the Facilities Services Complex: Offices and shops for carpenters, painters, plumbers, steamfitters, lock shop, moving crew, storage, recycling facilities, etc.

Building
Watkins Home
1540 Sunflower Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

In 1937 Elizabeth M. Watkins donated funds for a residence hall for nurses working at Watkins Memorial Hospital, immediately north; it served that purpose until 1974. The stone building was designed by State Architect Raymond Coolidge. It housed the Hall Center for the Humanities from 1984 to 2005. The School of Social Welfare now uses the facility for several programs.

Building
Watkins Memorial Health Center
1200 Schwegler Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

By the 1960s, the university had outgrown Watkins Memorial Hospital, opened in January 1932. The hospital, the gift of Elizabeth Miller Watkins and named for her late husband, could not be expanded because of its hillside site, so a larger, more modern hospital was planned for the playing fields southeast of Robinson Center. George Hampton & Associates of Wichita and State Architect Kenneth R. McCain designed the dark brick building with medical director Raymond A. Schwegler. It cost $3.65 million, paid largely by student fees, and retained the original name.

Building
Watkins Scholarship Hall
1506 Lilac Lane
Lawrence, KS 66044

In 1925, Elizabeth Miller Watkins gave $75,000 to fully fund the first KU women’s scholarship hall, to be named for her late husband, Lawrence banker Jabez B. Watkins. She also donated the land for it, on Lilac Lane adjacent to her home, “The Outlook.” The residents had to demonstrate financial need and academic ability and agree to share all domestic duties. Thomas Williamson designed the yellow-brick, colonial-style hall. The seven kitchen/dining areas in the basement were shared by seven women each; the hall also has a living room, sleeping porches and study rooms.

Building
Watson Library
1425 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

Opened Sept. 11, 1924, this Collegiate Gothic-style limestone building was named for Carrie M. Watson, an 1877 and 1880 alumna who was university librarian 1887-1921. It was designed by George L. Chandler and State Architect Ray L. Gamble. Five structural additions were done between 1938 and 1963; chronic crowding and disorganization began to be alleviated by the completion of Spencer Research Library in 1968 and Anschutz Library in 1989.

Building
Wescoe Hall
1445 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

In the 1960s Chancellor W. Clarke Wescoe (1960-69) began lobbying for a central humanities classroom/office building that would unite departments scattered all over campus. By 1969, Haworth Hall and its neighbor Robinson Gymnasium, both opened before 1910 in the heart of campus, were razed in preparation for the new building.

Building
Wesley Building
1314 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

In September 1954 the Wesley Foundation Student Center opened in a brick and concrete building funded by the United Methodist Church and private donors. Like Myers Hall immediately to the west, it was organized to provide religious, educational and cultural support to university students. It had an auditorium and stage; a chapel; meeting and recreation rooms; lounges; a kitchen; offices; and a three-bedroom apartment for a resident director. In the late 1960s it was also used for design studios, art classes, and faculty and staff offices.

Building
Youngberg Hall
2385 Irving Hill Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

Designed by Neville, Sharp & Simon of Kansas City and completed in 1960, this brick building originally housed the Center for Research in Engineering Science, which became the Center for Research Inc. in 1962. From January 1976 to April 1998 it housed KU Endowment, which built it and owns it, and it is named for Irvin E. Youngberg, a 1942 alumnus and the association’s executive secretary 1948-75. 

Pages


Filter by
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
Nearly $290 million in financial aid annually
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
—ALA
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times