Buildings

Building
Danforth Chapel
1405 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

William H. Danforth, chair of Ralston Purina Co., provided the largest donation for the chapel through his foundation; the rest of the funding and most of the furnishings were donated by faculty, students, alumni, and Lawrence residents.

Edward W. Tanner of Kansas City, MO, KU’s first architectural engineering graduate in 1916 and principal designer for the J.C. Nichols Co. of Kansas City, MO, 1919-64, designed the 90-seat Gothic Revival structure.

Building
David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium
1101 Mississippi St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

Dedicated Nov. 11, 1922, to honor the 127 men and two women from the university's students, faculty, staff, and alumni who died in World War I, the stadium has been renamed the David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium in honor of an alumnus who has donated $50 million toward the estimated $350 million cost of major renovations to the football stadium and other athletic facilities.

Building
DeBruce Center
1647 Naismith Drive
Lawrence , KS 66045

The center houses Dr. James Naismith's original "Rules of Basket Ball" and has a student center, the Courtside Cafe and a coffee bar, a gift shop, a nutrition center for the men's and women's basketball teams, and meeting rooms.

The three-story, $21.7-million building adjoins the northeast corner of Allen Feldhouse and the Booth Family Hall of Athletics and abuts the Allen Fieldhouse Parking Garage.

Building
Dennis E. Rieger Scholarship Hall
1323 Ohio St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

This hall, dedicated Sept. 24, 2005, houses women in a mix of traditional rooms and suites in two wings. The common areas include a courtyard, living room, dining area, kitchen and recreational room.

The hall was funded through a $3 million gift by Roger and Annette Rieger of Seattle, both 1967 alumni, in memory of Roger's brother Dennis, who earned a bachelor's in political science at KU in 1972 and a master's in business in 1974.

Building
Design Research, Center for
2544 Westbrooke Circle
Lawrence, KS 66047

This facility for collaborative research in sustainable energy, which adjoins Chamney House on the south, was dedicated July 16, 2011. A 1,820-square-foot, one-story stone building, it was funded by donations to and designed and built by about 20 students in Studio 804, a design/build program of the School of Architecture & Design.

Building
Dole Human Development Center
1000 Sunnyside Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The center was dedicated Aug. 25, 1990, and named in honor of Kansas Sen. Robert J. Dole, an advocate for people with disabilities.

Kiene & Bradley Design Group designed the $12 million classroom and clinic space, which houses undergraduate and graduate departments and research and training centers, including the Department of Applied Behavioral Science, the Life Span Institute, the Edna A. Hill Child Development Center, the Sunnyside Toddler Program, and the Department of Speech-Language-Hearing: Sciences & Disorders.

Building
Dole Institute of Politics
2350 Petefish Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

This west campus building, dedicated in July 2003, is named for former Kansas Sen. Robert J. Dole. The $11 million, 28,000-square-foot facility, designed by ASIA of Lenexa, houses papers from Dole’s 35-year career and is the world’s largest congressional archive.

The institute sponsors public and educational programs in bipartisan civic education and leadership training; it has seminar and meeting rooms, broadcast facilities, and exhibits on Dole’s life and career as well as on specific historical or political topics.

Building
Douthart Scholarship Hall
1345 Louisiana St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

This hall has 12 suites comprising bedrooms and study areas. It opened in 1954 and was largely funded by the gift of Burt Chronister of Kansas City, Kan., in memory of his wife, Ava Douthart Chronister, a 1901 graduate, and her sister Lela Douthart, an 1899 alumna. The architect was Raymond Coolidge.

Building
Downs Residence Hall
1517 W. 18th St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

This residence hall opened in fall 2017 as part of the Central District development. It houses women and men and is arranged in two- and four-bedroom suites. Features include a full kitchen, laundry rooms on each floor, and a recreation room. Residents may participate in an Academic Accelerator Program for international students.

Building
Dyche Hall
1345 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

One of KU’s signature buildings, Dyche Hall was built as the Museum of Natural History in 1901-02 to a design by Kansas City architects Walter C. Root and George W. Siemens; they used the Venetian Romanesque style characteristic of southern European churches of 1050-1200.

Building
Earth, Energy & Environment Center
1414 and 1420 Naismith Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

The Earth, Energy & Environment Center opened in January 2018. The 141,000-square-foot interdisciplinary center designed by Gould Evans of Lawrence has auditoriums, classrooms, laboratories, and multipurpose spaces designed to foster collaboration among researchers, scientists, and students in geology, chemical and petroleum engineering, geophysics, energy, nanotechnology, and the environment.

Building
Eaton Hall
1520 W. 15th St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

This building in the engineering complex was dedicated Oct. 17, 2003, and named for major donor Robert J. Eaton, a 1963 alumnus and retired chair of DaimlerChrysler AG.

Eaton donated $5 million for the project, about one-third of the cost of the 80,000-square-foot hall, which was funded entirely through private donations. It was designed by Gould Evans Associates of Lawrence and is connected by an enclosed walkway to Learned Hall.

Building
Ekdahl Dining Center
1530 Engel Road 
Lawrence, KS 66045

Opened in 1983 and known as “Mrs. E’s,” it was named in 1993 for Lenoir D. Ekdahl, director of residence-hall food service for 35 years before her retirement in 1989.

The three-level dining center for the 3,300 students in Daisy Hill residence halls adjoins Lewis Residence Hall; it features food-court style service and seats about 700 diners.

Building
Ellsworth Residence Hall
1734 Engel Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

Built in 1963 as a men’s hall, it is named for Fred Ellsworth, a 1922 journalism alumnus who from 1924 to 1963 was secretary of the Alumni Association and editor of its Graduate Magazine. Remodeled in 2002-03, it houses men and women in two-person rooms, suites and studios.

Building
Engineering Structural Testing & Student Project Facility
2037 Becker Drive
Lawrence, KS 66047

This building incorporates a high bay facility for research, testing and developing large structural systems such as concrete piers or steel girder connections for bridges; and a student projects fabrication center for design competition teams and students in capstone design courses.

Faculty and students in several School of Engineering departments use the 24,700-square-foot building, completed in summer 2014.

Building
Facilities Administration Building
1503 Sunflower Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

The limestone main building was designed by Superintendent E.F. Crocker and constructed by the Buildings & Grounds Department in 1906. A second story and entry were added in 1926. The complex south of Stauffer-Flint Hall includes the 1922 power plant, designed by State Architect Ray Gamble and John Shea of B&G, and class whistle; offices and shops for Facilities Services units including plumbing, electrical, engineering, major systems and maintenance departments; and the main storeroom.
 

Building
Foley Hall
2021 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047

This redbrick building was originally the Frank C. Foley Geohydrology Center, an annex of the Kansas Geological Survey named for its director from 1954-70. It opened in spring 1980, and in 1989 the survey moved its office into Parker Hall. The Kansas Biological Survey was housed here from 1989 to 2003; Foley now houses Monarch Watch, which monitors the migrations and habitats of monarch butterflies and which was founded by Orley “Chip” Taylor, professor emeritus of ecology and evolutionary biology.

Building
Fraser Hall
1415 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

This building of cottonwood and silverdale limestone opened March 6, 1967. It sits on the second-highest point on Mount Oread — 1,031 feet — and is visible for miles. (The highest point is 1,037 feet, between Joseph R. Pearson Hall and Carruth-O'Leary Hall on West Campus Road.)

Building
Gertrude Sellards Pearson Residence Hall (GSP)
500 W. 11th St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

Opened in 1955 as a women's residence hall, GSP is named for Gertrude Sellards Pearson, a 1901 alumna who with her husband, Joseph R. Pearson, in 1945 donated money to supplement the construction of five residence and scholarship halls. It now forms a single living unit connected by a crosswalk with Corbin, 420 W. 11th St., a women's hall.

Building
Grace Pearson Scholarship Hall
1335 Louisiana St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

Funded by the gift of Joseph R. and Gertrude Sellards Pearson and named in memory of his niece, it is adjacent to and mirrors Douthart Hall, also designed by Raymond Coolidge of Topeka. The three-story brick building opened in fall 1955 as a women’s hall, but in fall 1960 it became a men’s hall. It has four-person suites and common living and dining areas.

Building
Green Hall
1535 W. 15th St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

This five-story building west of Naismith Drive and Murphy Hall opened for classes Oct. 17, 1977, and was dedicated Feb. 20-21, 1978. It retained the name of the 1905 hall built on Jayhawk Boulevard to house the School of Law and named in honor of Dean James W. “Uncle Jimmy” Green. It was designed by Lawrence R. Good & Associates of Lawrence; in 1987 former Chancellor and Mrs. W. Clarke Wescoe donated “Tai Chi Figure,” a large sculpture by Zhu Ming on the hall's lawn.

Building
Hall Center for the Humanities
900 Sunnyside Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The center, dedicated April 9, 2005, incorporates nine limestone arches and the walls from KU’s oldest surviving structure, the 1887 Powerhouse designed by John G. Haskell. The center includes a 120-seat conference room, seminar room and offices for Hall Center staff and research fellows. It was built with a $4.07 million gift from the Hall Family Foundation and state and private funds.

Building
Hambleton Hall
1930 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047

This 1983 addition to Moore Hall includes an auditorium seating 45 and is named for William W. Hambleton, alumnus/faculty member, state geologist and KGS director 1970-87. It houses the Publication Sales division of the KGS, the Data Access and Support program and public data and library services.

Building
Hashinger Residence Hall
1632 Engel Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

This 1962 Daisy Hill residence hall for men and women, named for Margaret Battenfeld Hashinger, underwent major renovations in 2005-06. It has a performing-arts focus and offers studio, rehearsal, and performance space for residents.

Building
Haworth Hall
1200 Sunnyside Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

State Architect James Canole and Peters, Harrison & Associates of Lawrence designed the eight-story, $3.5 million building of dark buff brick and cottonwood limestone for the newly created Division of Biological Sciences. It opened in 1969; a major addition designed by Peters, Kubota & Glenn of Lawrence was dedicated April 12, 1986.

Building
Higuchi Hall
2101 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047

Named for Takeru Higuchi, Regents Distinguished Professor of Chemistry and Pharmacy 1967-87, the building was completed in 1969; major renovations were done in 1989. It now houses the Kansas Biological Survey (KBS), a research and service unit whose programs and activities range from aquatic and terrestrial ecology to remote sensing.

KBS research units housed in Higuchi include the Central Plains Center for Bioassessment, the Kansas Applied Remote Sensing Program, the KU Field Station, the Native Medicinal Plant Research Program and Reservoir Assessment.

 

Building
Hill Engineering Research & Development Center
2035 Becker Drive 66045
Lawrence , KS 66045

Completed in June 2013 by the School of Architecture & Design’s Studio 804 design/build class, this advanced research facility houses KU EcoHawks, a School of Engineering student program that focuses on sustainable energy approaches for automobiles and infrastructure.

The open structure, divided into two enclosed pods and one open-air pod, incorporates aluminum recycled from a Wichita airplane manufacturer and glass from a Kansas City, Mo., building project, Aerogel insulating panels, and photovoltaic panels on the entry canopy.

Building
Hill Engineering Research & Development Center
2035 Becker Drive
Lawrece, KS 66045

Completed in June 2013 by the School of Architecture & Design's Studio 804 design/build class, this advanced research facility houses KU EcoHawks, a School of Engineering student program that focuses on sustainable energy approaches for automobiles and infrastructure. The open structure, divided into two enclosed pods and one open-air pod, incorporates aluminum recycled from a Wichita airplane manufacturer and glass from a Kansas City, Mo., building project, Aerogel insulating panels, and photovoltaic panels on the entry canopy.

Building
Hilltop Child Development Center
1605 Irving Hill Road
Child Care Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

This $3.3 million, 18,000-square-foot facility opened south of Burge Union in August 2000. It offers day care and educational programs for toddlers through sixth-graders on site as well as programs at three Lawrence elementary schools. Children of students, faculty, staff and affiliates may enroll.

Pages


One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
—ALA
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times