Buildings

Building
Miller Scholarship Hall
1518 Lilac Lane
Lawrence, KS 66044

In 1936 Elizabeth Miller Watkins donated $75,000 to build a twin immediately south of Watkins Scholarship Hall, which she had financed in 1925. The building was named for her brother, Frank C. Miller, a KU student in the 1880s.

Building
Moore Hall
1930 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047

This building, housing the Kansas Geological Survey, was designed by Thomas, Johnson, Isley and dedicated Feb. 2, 1973.

It is named for Raymond C. Moore (1892-1974), state geologist, KGS director 1916-54 and a faculty member 1916-62; he was a Summerfield Distinguished Professor, chair of geology and a leading scholar/editor in invertebrate paleontology.

The hall houses the KGS geohydrology and exploration services sections, along with Public Outreach and administration.

Building
Mount Oread

The curving, W-shaped limestone ridge where KU’s main campus was built received this name from Ferdinand Fuller on Aug. 1, 1854, when he and the other settlers in the New England Emigrant Aid Society arrived.

Abolitionists in Boston and New England -- including Amos Lawrence, for whom the new town was named -- funded the contingent and sent sent it west to ensure that the Kansas Territory joined the Union as a free state.

Building
Multidisciplinary Research Building
2030 Becker Drive
Lawrence, KS 66047

Construction began on the $40 million, three-story research center in fall 2004, and it was dedicated March 6, 2006.

Housed in its 106,000 square feet are about 200 researchers, faculty, students, and staff in engineering, chemistry, biology,  geology, and other sciences doing collaborative research in bioinformatics, drug discovery, and nanoscience, among other fields.

The triangular building also houses laboratories; workrooms, offices and conference rooms; and research support spaces.

Building
Murphy Hall
1530 Naismith Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

A long campaign for a dedicated building for the performing arts culminated in 1957, when the music and theater departments moved into the new Murphy Hall.

It is named for Franklin Murphy, chancellor 1951-60 and a generous patron of the arts. The yellow-buff brick and crab-orchard limestone building was designed by Brinkman & Hagan of Emporia and dedicated Nov. 10, 1957.

Building
National Register of Historic Places

In April 2013, the University of Kansas Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places, after being listed on the Register of Historic Kansas Places in February 2013.

The district covers the period 1863-1951 and encompasses the Hill, Potter Lake, Memorial Drive, Jayhawk Boulevard, and the Prairie Acre.

Building
Nichols Hall
2335 Irving Hill Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

The $2.4 million hall, designed by Hollis & Miller of Overland Park, opened in fall 1971 and was dedicated Sept. 29, 1972. It was named for Raymond F. Nichols (1903-99), 12th chancellor (1972-73) and chancellor emeritus, journalism alumnus (1926 and 1928) and longtime KU administrator (1929-73).

Building
Nunemaker Center
1506 Engel Road
Lawrence, KS 66045
Built in 1971 with a gift of $415,000 from Irene Nunemaker, a 1922 graduate in journalism who became a cosmetics executive and consultant, it was designed by 1928 architecture alumnus Clarence Kivett of Kivett & Myers of Kansas City, MO.
 
It houses the University Honors Program; staff offices; class, conference and meeting rooms; reference/reading area; student kitchen; meeting room; and lounge.
Building
Oliver Residence Hall
1815 Naismith Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

Opened in 1966 as a freshman women’s hall, it is named for the first chancellor, R.W. Oliver, in honor of the university’s centennial. It now houses men and women, coed by wing, in two-person or private rooms.

The 22,000-square-foot South Dining Commons links Oliver Hall with the new Cora Downs Residence Hall, which opened in fall 2017 to the west. Oliver Hall's former dining hall has been renovated as an academic commons.

(Naismith Hall, across Naismith Drive east of Oliver, is a private residence hall for men and women.)

 

Building
Oswald Residence Hall
1620 Engel Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

The southern of two five-story, freshman-focused residence halls designed by Treanor Architects of Lawrence, Oswald houses men and women in single-, two- and four-person suites; it is part of a quadrangle with Self, Templin, Lewis, Ellsworth, and Hashinger halls. 

Building
Parker Hall
1930 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047

This building, which like Hambleton Hall is attached to Moore Hall, was dedicated March 26, 1968, as a U.S. Geological Survey facility.

The USGS moved to other offices in 1989, and Parker now houses Kansas Geological Survey offices, including energy research and stratigraphic research.

It is named for Glenn L. Parker, an alumnus and chief hydraulic engineer for the USGS 1939-46.

Building
Parrott Athletic Center
1555 Irving Hill Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

The Parrott facility, completed in 1970 and renovated in 1993, houses Kansas Athletics Inc. offices for senior administrative and business staff, Media Relations, and the Williams Educational Fund.

Building
Pearson Scholarship Hall
1426 Alumni Place
Lawrence, KS 66044

Raymond Coolidge, a 1924 graduate and former Kansas state architect, designed this brick scholarship hall. It houses men in two-person suites and opened in fall 1952; a renovation was completed in 1992.

The hall is named for Joseph R. Pearson (1880-1955), who with his wife, Gertrude Sellards Pearson (1880-1968), a 1901 alumna, donated $200,000 in June 1945 for five residence and scholarship halls. 

 

Building
Pharmaceutical Chemistry Laboratories
2097 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047
This one-story building of laboratories and offices was built in 1968 and acquired by the university from KU Endowment in June 1991. It is part of the Higuchi Biosciences Center.
Building
Price Computing Center
1001 Sunnyside Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

This concrete building, designed by Hollis & Miller of Overland Park and dedicated Oct. 14, 1978, cost $4 million.

It consolidated academic and data-management computer services from other buildings, notably Summerfield Hall. It houses Information Technology staff and services including enterprise applications, KU data center infrastructure, and IT security.

Building
Public Safety Building
1501 Crestline Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

The KU Public Safety Office moved from Carruth-O’Leary Hall to the former Printing Services Building in the West District in spring 2006, after renovations.

The 32,000-square-foot building was designed by Glober & Newcomb of Topeka and opened in April 1968. Its warehouse is used to store catalogs and other publications and University Press books.

KU's entomological collections and staff offices are housed here.

Building
Robinson Center
1301 Sunnyside Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

State Architect James Canole and Dwight C. Brown & Associates of Topeka designed the concrete and yellow-brick building, completed in April 1966 east of Allen Fieldhouse; a $6 million addition designed by Lund & Balderson of Overland Park opened in August 1980.

Building
Rock Chalk Park
6100 Rock Chalk Drive
Lawrence, KS 66049

A cooperative effort of the City of Lawrence and Kansas Athletics that opened in 2014 in northwest Lawrence, the park provides community athletics and exercise facilities as well as NCAA-standard competition and practice venues for KU soccer, softball, tennis, and track and field teams.

Building
Sabatini Multicultural Resource Center
1299 Oread Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

This 7,000-square-foot, $2.7 million building on the north side of the Kansas Union was dedicated April 25, 2008, and named in honor of Lisetta and Carmine Sabatini, parents of donors Frank Sabatini, who holds KU degrees in business and law, and Nella Sabatini Dinolfo.

It was funded by a $1 million gift from the Sabatini Family Foundation of Topeka, student fees and other university sources. Designed by Gould Evans Associates, it houses staff and program offices, an auditorium, and academic support and study rooms for students.

Building
School of Pharmacy Building
2010 Becker Drive
Lawrence, KS 66047

Capping the observance of the School of Pharmacy’s 125th year was the dedication Oct. 22, 2010, of its new building in the West District.

Building
Self Residence Hall
1620 Engel Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

The northern of two five-story, freshman-focused residence halls designed by Treanor Architects of Lawrence, it houses men and women in single-, two- and four-person suites; it is part of a quadrangle with Oswald, Templin, Lewis, Ellsworth, and Hashinger residence halls. 

Building
Sellards Scholarship Hall
1443 Alumni Place
Lawrence, KS 66044
One of the three scholarship halls funded by the 1945 gift of Joseph R. Pearson of Corsicana, Texas, and his wife, Gertrude Sellards Pearson, a 1901 alumna, it is named in honor of her family.
 
The Georgian-style brick hall on the southeast edge of the Brynwood Manor estate opened in fall 1952. It houses women in four-person suites.
Building
Shankel Structural Biology Center
2034 Becker Drive
Lawrence, KS 66047

The center, originally dedicated Oct. 15, 2004, was renamed in honor of longtime professor and administrator Delbert M. Shankel on April 15, 2010.

Its original centerpiece was an 800-megahertz magnetic resonance spectrometer for use in medicinal and pharmaceutical chemistry research. A $22.2-million, 44,000-square-foot addition to the west side was dedicated Oct. 23, 2008.

Two new wings house the Specialized Chemistry Center and the labs and students of Blake Peterson, a Kansas Bioscience Authority Eminent Scholar.

Building
Shop Facility
1735 Westbrooke Drive
Lawrence, KS 66047

This concrete and brick building, completed in summer 2007, was designed by Kenneth O. von Achen Chartered Architects.

It houses shops for electricians, plumbers and painters; a recycling transfer facility; warehouse storage; a boat-storage area for the Kansas Biological Survey; and a geophysics shop.

The $3.7 million project included an addition to the Facilities Operations Warehouse to the south.

Building
Simons Biosciences Research Laboratories
2093 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047
The research lab, dedicated May 6, 1996, and part of the Higuchi Biosciences Center, is named for Dolph Simons Sr., longtime publisher of the Lawrence Journal-World newspaper and a key figure in bringing distinguished chemist Takeru Higuchi to the university in the 1960s.
 
Building
Smissman Research Laboratories
2099 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047
The $1.1 million research center was designed by Hazard, Van Doren & Stallings of Topeka and dedicated May 5, 1978. It is named for Edward E. Smissman (1925-74), professor and chair of medicinal chemistry and University Distinguished Professor, and is part of the Higuchi Biosciences Center in the West District.
Building
Smith Hall
1300 Oread Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

Dedicated Oct. 8, 1967, Smith Hall houses the religious studies department, faculty and administrative offices, classrooms and the William J. Moore Library. It occupies the site of Myers Hall, which had housed the Department of Religion since 1907.

Myers was built on the site of the Rush farmhouse, purchased in 1901 by the Christian Women’s Board of Missions, Christian Church, to house the Kansas Bible Chair, offering courses in religious history and the Bible. The hall was also used as a social center and public lecture space.

Building
Snow Hall
1460 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

State Architect Charles Cuthbert and H.H. Lane of the zoology department collaborated to design this Indiana limestone building in a modified Collegiate Gothic style.

Building
Spahr Engineering Library
1532 W. 15th St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The yellow-brick library, designed by Gould Evans Associates of Lawrence, was begun in 1984 and dedicated May 5, 1988.

It is named for Charles E. Spahr, a 1934 engineering alumnus, emeritus chair and CEO of Standard Oil Co. of Ohio and a KU benefactor who with his wife made a major endowment to the library.

Building
Spencer Museum of Art
1301 Mississippi St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The museum, dedicated in September 1977, was built with funds from the Kenneth A. and Helen F. Spencer Foundation. It is named for Helen Foresman Spencer, a student in the 1920s who married Kenneth A. Spencer, a 1926 graduate who founded a chemical company and the Midwest Research Institute in Kansas City, MO.

Like the Spencer Research Library, which she also funded, the museum was designed by architect Robert Jenks of Kansas City, a KU classmate of the Spencers, and built of white Indiana limestone.

Pages


One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
—ALA
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times