Buildings

Building
Spencer Research Library
1450 Poplar Lane
Lawrence, KS 66045

This neoclassical building, which opened in 1968, honors Kenneth A. Spencer (1902-60), a 1926 graduate who founded the Spencer Chemical Co. and the Midwest Research Institute of Kansas City, MO.

The library was built with a grant from his widow, Helen Foresman Spencer, who attended KU, and the family foundation.

Building
Spooner Hall
1340 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The university’s first library, this Oread limestone and red sandstone building was designed in the Romanesque Revival style by Kansas City architect Henry van Brunt, who also designed the first chancellor’s residence immediately east of it.

Building
Sprague Apartments
1400 Lilac Lane
Lawrence, KS 66044

The apartment building was funded by a bequest from Elizabeth Cade Sprague (1874-1960), head of the home economics department 1914-41, in memory of her sister Amelia, an artist and designer. Retired faculty members live in the 10 units of the redbrick building, completed in 1960.

Building
St. Andrews Office Facility
1515 St. Andrews Drive
Lawrence , KS

PKG Design Group of Lawrence designed this 34,000-square-foot building in 1980 as the corporate headquarters for Maupintour Inc., an international travel agency. The university purchased it for $3.2 million in 1998 to consolidate its continuing education programs and offices.

In 2014, after Continuing Education moved most of its programs to the Edwards Campus, it was renamed; it now houses Design & Construction Management, the Office of Institutional Research & Planning, the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, and the Kansas Fire & Rescue Training Institute.

Building
St. Andrews Research Facility
1617 St. Andrews Drive
Lawrence , KS 66047

KU Center for Research Inc. purchased this 11,700-square-foot building, west of Bob Billings Parkway and Kasold Drive, in 2013 to house the School of Education’s Center for Public Partnerships & Research.

That center is part of the Achievement & Assessment Institute, founded in 2012 to build partnerships and programs that support the success of young children, school-aged children, adults, and publicly funded agencies. Its four research centers also support research and job-training opportunities for KU students.

Building
Stauffer-Flint Hall
1435 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The building houses the William Allen White School of Journalism & Mass Communications; administrative and faculty offices; classrooms; the Bremner Editing Center; the Kansas Scholastic Press Association; the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism; the Kansas Journalism Institute, and the William Allen White Foundation.

Building
Stephenson Scholarship Hall
1404 Alumni Place
Lawrence, KS 66044

Opened in fall 1951, the hall houses men in two-person suites. Designed by Raymond Coolidge, it was partly funded by Mrs. Lyle Stephenson in memory of her husband, a Kansas City insurance salesman and amateur entomologist. It was built on the eastern edge of the Brynwood estate property obtained from Acacia fraternity by Olin Templin in 1939.

Building
Stouffer Place Apartments
1835 Ousdahl Road
Lawrence, KS 66047

Stouffer Place Apartments, opened in fall 2018 as part of the Central District development, comprises two buildings designed by Treanor Architects of Lawrence.

It has 708 beds and features either two-bedroom/two-bath or four-bedroom/four bathroom suites, full kitchen with dishwasher, and laundry facilities in each unit. Its budget was $58 million.

Building
Strong Hall
1450 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045
Strong Hall is the main administration building for the Lawrence campus. It houses the offices of the chancellor, provost and registrar; the dean of the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences; director of Graduate Studies; senior vice provost for academic affairs; and vice provosts for administration and finance, faculty development, student affairs, and undergraduate studies.
 
Building
Sudler Annex
1132 W. 11th St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

This building was originally the garage of the home bequeathed to KU by the estate of Dr. Mervin T. Sudler (1874-1956), Lawrence physician, professor of anatomy, and dean of the Medical School 1921-24.

The adjacent home, built in 1927, is now the Max Kade Center for German-American Studies.

This native stone structure was built about 1861 as a stable on property owned by James H. Lane (1814-66), prominent abolitionist and one of Kansas' first senators after statehood in January 1861.

Building
Summerfield Hall
1300 Sunnyside Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

When it was dedicated April 9, 1960, this five-story yellow-buff brick building, designed by State Architect John Brink, was notable for the glass curtain wall on its south face. Summerfield was initially designed to house the University Computation Center, superseded in 1978 by the Price Computing Center to the east on Sunnyside Ave.

Building
Sunflower Apartments
1021 Missouri St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

These 19 two-bedroom units provide one-year housing for new faculty, unclassified staff, postdoctoral fellows and visiting scholars. The brick duplexes were built in 1955.

Building
Templin Residence Hall
1515 Engel Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

This seven-story residence hall, opened in 1959, was extensively remodeled in 1997 into single, two- and four-person suites for men and women. Each floor, or “house,” honors a person or tradition of excellence at KU; an honors program community is based here, and students must maintain a minimum GPA.

In 1998 the cafeteria/dining hall was renovated and expanded for use as the Visitor Center and the Office of Admissions. 

Building
Twente Hall
1545 Lilac Lane
Lawrence, KS 66045

Originally Watkins Memorial Hospital, the building opened in January 1932. It was funded by Elizabeth Miller Watkins, a doctor’s daughter and widow of Lawrence banker/financier Jabez B. Watkins, for whom it was named.

Building
University Guest House
1525 Pearson Place
Lawrence, KS 66045

This small house on the grounds of the chancellor’s residence, also known as the Rock Cottage, was built in the 1930s of stone left from construction of a retaining wall on the property.

It was designed by architecture professor Verner F. Smith to be used by guests at the Outlook and was part of Elizabeth Miller Watkins’ 1939 bequest to KU.

During the housing shortage after World War II, faculty members lived there. In 1952 the university remodeled it as a guest house, furnishing it from estate bequests and museum holdings. It is managed by Student Housing.

Building
University Press
2502 Westbrooke Circle
Lawrence, KS 66045

The University Press of Kansas, which publishes scholarly books for the state regents institutions, other universities, and scholars, dedicated this building in the West District Oct. 11, 1991.

Founded in 1946 specifically for KU but expanded in 1967 to other regents' schools, the press had been housed in Stauffer-Flint and Carruth-O’Leary halls.

Building
University Press Warehouse
1501 S. Crestline Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

The one-floor press warehouse, which has 7,000 square feet, adjoins the Public Safety Building, southeast of the University Press.

It was designed by the Williams Huber Team of Lawrence and opened in 1990 to store books, catalogs and other university publications. The entomological collections and their curatorial staff have moved to the building.

Building
Visitor Center
1502 Iowa St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

In 1998 the cafeteria/dining hall of Templin Residence Hall was renovated and expanded for use as the Visitor Center and the Office of Admissions. The center provides brochures, maps, exhibits, tours and other introductory information about KU. The admissions office provides information about application standards and processes, financial aid, credits, etc.

Building
Wagnon Student-Athlete Center
1555 Irving Hill Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

Major renovations and additions to the Allen Fieldhouse complex in 2009 enhanced this service center for student athletes, coaches and staff, and KU Athletics. The name honors donor Ken Wagnon.

The facility was built in 1992 and renovated in 1995 and 2005. It houses the offices of the athletics director, men’s and women’s basketball coaches; Olympic sports coaches, including swimming, tennis, softball, soccer, volleyball, golf, and rowing; equipment and locker rooms; and the Dean Nesmith Training Room.

Building
Warehouse
1851 Westbrooke
Lawrence, KS 66049

Part of the Facilities Services Complex, the building has offices and shops for carpenters, painters, plumbers, steamfitters, locksmiths, moving crew, storage, recycling facilities, etc.

Building
Watkins Home
1540 Sunflower Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

In 1937 Elizabeth M. Watkins donated funds for a residence for nurses working at Watkins Memorial Hospital, immediately north of this building; it served that purpose until 1974. The stone building was designed by State Architect Raymond Coolidge.

It housed the Hall Center for the Humanities from 1984 to 2005. The School of Social Welfare, based in Twente Hall (formerly the student hospital), oversees several programs in the building.

Building
Watkins Memorial Health Center
1200 Schwegler Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

By the 1960s, the university had outgrown Watkins Memorial Hospital, opened in January 1932. The hospital, the gift of Elizabeth Miller Watkins and named for her late husband, could not be expanded because of its hillside site, so a larger, more modern hospital was planned for the playing fields southeast of Robinson Center.

Building
Watkins Scholarship Hall
1506 Lilac Lane
Lawrence, KS 66044

In 1925, Elizabeth Miller Watkins gave $75,000 to fully fund and maintain the first KU women’s scholarship hall, to be named for her late husband, Lawrence banker Jabez B. Watkins.

She also donated the land for it, on Lilac Lane adjacent to her home, “The Outlook.” The residents had to demonstrate financial need and academic ability and agree to share all domestic duties.

Building
Watson Library
1425 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

Opened Sept. 11, 1924, this Collegiate Gothic-style limestone building was named for Carrie M. Watson, an 1877 and 1880 alumna who was university librarian 1887-1921. It was designed by George L. Chandler and State Architect Ray L. Gamble.

Five structural additions were done between 1938 and 1963; chronic crowding and disorganization were alleviated by the completion of Spencer Research Library in 1968 and Anschutz Library in 1989.

Building
Wescoe Hall
1445 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

Wescoe Hall houses administrative and academic offices and classrooms for liberal arts and humanities departments.

Building
Wesley Building
1314 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

In September 1954 the Wesley Foundation Student Center opened in a brick and concrete building funded by the United Methodist Church and private donors.

Building
Youngberg Hall
2385 Irving Hill Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

Designed by Neville, Sharp & Simon of Kansas City and completed in 1960, this brick building originally housed the Center for Research in Engineering Science, which became the Center for Research Inc. in 1962.

From January 1976 to April 1998 it housed KU Endowment, which built it and owns it, and it is named for Irvin E. Youngberg, a 1942 alumnus and the association’s executive secretary 1948-75. 

Pages


One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
—ALA
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times