Alumni Place Fountain

East of Miller and Watkins scholarship halls Lawrence, KS

At the suggestion in 1953 of Chancellor Franklin D. Murphy, a large cast-stone fountain was purchased with $1,300 in private funds from the Erkins Studio in New York. It was placed in a circular terrace surrounded by three benches at the south end of Alumni Place; Facilities Planning landscaped the site, near the retaining wall behind Miller and Watkins scholarship halls. By 1981, deterioration had so damaged the fountain that an exact replica was made by Erkins, and it was reinstalled.