All

Building
Adams Alumni Center
1266 Oread Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The redbrick classical-style building, designed by Kiene & Bradley Architectural Partnership of Topeka, was dedicated May 14, 1983, in the centennial year of the Alumni Association. The association had been housed in Fraser and Strong halls, Sudler House and the Kansas Union before the new center was built. An alumni fund drive raised $4.2 million for construction, and the KU Endowment Association donated a site northeast of the Kansas Union.

Building
Allen Fieldhouse
1651 Naismith Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

The fieldhouse, which opened March 1, 1955, is named for Forrest C. "Phog" Allen, the notable KU basketball coach who played for and was trained by James Naismith, the game's founder, a longtime KU professor of physical culture and its first basketball coach.

The fieldhouse and its basketball court, named for Naismith, superseded the facilities at the original Robinson Gymnasium, built in 1907 and razed in the late 1960s; and Hoch Auditorium, where games were played from 1927 to 1955. Like those venues, the fieldhouse also has been the site of concerts and university functions.

Artwork
Alumni Jayhawk/The Kansas Jayhawk
Adams Alumni Center
Lawrence, KS

Peter Fillerup, 1983

John and Virginia Walsh Eulich of Dallas, both 1951 alumni, commissioned this version of the Jayhawk for the Adams Alumni Center, 13th Street and Oread Avenue. It was dedicated Nov. 19, 1983, about six months after the center opened.

Fountain
Alumni Place Fountain
East of Miller and Watkins scholarship halls
Lawrence, KS

At the suggestion in 1953 of Chancellor Franklin D. Murphy, this large cast-stone fountain was purchased with $1,300 in private funds from the Erkins Studio in New York.

It was placed in a circular terrace surrounded by three benches at the south end of Alumni Place; Facilities Planning landscaped the site, near the retaining wall behind Miller and Watkins scholarship halls.

Building
Ambler Student Recreation Fitness Center
1740 Watkins Center Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

Increasing demand for both educational and recreational sports facilities spurred the decision in the late 1990s to build a new student center. The $17-million facility south of Watkins Memorial Health Center, funded by student fees, was dedicated Sept. 25, 2003.

In December 2007, it was named in honor of David A. Ambler, the longtime vice chancellor for student affairs who was a strong advocate for a new recreation fitness center.

Building
Amini (K.K.) Scholarship Hall
1318 Louisiana St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

Named for Koli K. "K.K." Amini, a 1949 petroleum engineering graduate whose gift of $1 million funded its construction, the hall was built in 1992. It houses men in three- or four-person suites. Gould Evans Associates of Lawrence designed it and its twin, Margaret Amini Scholarship Hall for women.

Building
Amini (Margaret) Scholarship Hall
1312 Louisiana St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

Named for Margaret Wenski Amini, 1946 journalism graduate who with her husband, K.K. Amini, gave $1.5 million for its construction, the hall opened in 2000. It houses women and is the architectural twin of the adjacent K.K. Amini Scholarship Hall for men.

 

Building
Anderson Family Football Complex
1146 Fambrough Way
Lawrence, KS 66044

The $31-million football complex adjacent to David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium opened in August 2008. HNTB Architecture of Kansas City, Mo., oversaw plans for the 80,000-square-foot complex that includes academic areas; locker rooms; facilities for weight and cardio training, hydrotherapy, audio-visual screenings and nutrition; coaches’ offices; two adjacent practice fields; and parking lots.

The roof of the weight room, about 20,000 square feet, is bermed into the hill to the southwest of the stadium and covered with grass.

Building
Anderson Family Strength & Conditioning Center
1575 Irving Hill Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

The center is named for Dana, a 1959 business graduate, and Sue Anderson of Los Angeles and their family, longtime KU supporters and chief donors for the $8 million, 42,000-square-foot facility. It was designed by HOK Sport of Kansas City, Mo., and built at the northwest corner of Anschutz Sports Pavilion and opened in 2003.

It is used by all athletic department sports and houses the strength and conditioning department staff offices; weight, exercise and conditioning rooms; and conference and tutoring rooms.

Building
Anschutz Library
1301 Hoch Auditoria Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

Dedicated Oct. 7, 1989, it is named in honor of Fred and Marian Anschutz, parents of Philip Anschutz, a 1961 business alumnus and entrepreneur in telecommunications, entertainment and media companies, sports teams and arenas, railroads, and real estate. He and his wife, Nancy, gave $6.5 million for an endowed library acquisitions fund.

Building
Anschutz Sports Pavilion
1575 Irving Hill Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

The 40,000-square-foot pavilion houses practice areas for football, track, softball/baseball and soccer; the Ray Evans Football Field and the 200-meter, six-lane Bill Easton Track practice areas. 

The pavilion is named for Fred Anschutz, a 1933 alumnus and oil-company owner who was its chief donor, and was dedicated Oct. 27, 1984. 

Building
Baehr Audio-Reader Center
1120 W 11th St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

The Audio-Reader Center opened in November 1988 after the original 1910 building—formerly the Phi Kappa Theta fraternity house—was renovated by von Achen Chartered Architects.

The center, headquarters for a statewide reading service for blind and visually impaired people staffed largely by volunteer readers, is named for the Louis and Dolpha Baehr Charitable Foundation of Paola, KS, a major donor to its programs.

Adjoining it is Broadcasting Hall, housing the offices and studios for Kansas Public Radio.

Building
Bailey Hall
1440 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

Bailey Hall, completed in 1900, was designed by John G. Haskell and built in response to surging enrollments in chemistry and pharmacy that made the 1883 Medical Building (known later as “the Shack”), also designed by Haskell, too small and outdated.

Building
Battenfeld Scholarship Hall
1425 Alumni Place
Lawrence, KS 66044

This scholarship hall was the first men’s residence hall built at the university. It was the gift of Mr. and Mrs. Jesse R. Battenfeld of Kansas City in memory of their son John Curry Battenfeld, killed in a car accident in December 1939.

Designed by Morton Payne and Russell Field of Kansas City, the three-story Georgian brick building opened in September 1940.

Building
Bioscience and Technology Business Center
2029 Becker Drive
Lawrence, KS 66047

Gould Evans Associates of Lawrence designed this two-story, 20,000-square-foot building northwest of the School of Pharmacy, and construction began in fall 2009.

The $7.25-million building houses laboratories and office space for start-up companies, emerging technology businesses, and collaborations involving KU researchers and large technology firms.

Building
Blake Hall
1541 Lilac Lane
Lawrence, KS 66045

The first hall on this site was a physics building designed by State Architect Seymour Davis in imitation of a French chateau admired by its namesake, physics professor Lucien I. Blake.

A dapper man with a vivacious personality, Blake was also a noted scientist in electricity, thermodynamics and X-rays. The building housed classrooms, labs and auditoria when it was completed in 1895 south of Old Fraser Hall; it was superseded in 1954 when physics and other science departments moved to Malott Hall.

Building
Boathouse
220 Indiana St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

Opened at ceremonies in February 2009 that also acknowledged the 40th anniversary of women’s athletics at KU, the 16,000-square-foot boathouse was designed by Peterson Architects of Cambridge, Mass., and Treanor Architects of Lawrence. 

Building
Booth Family Hall of Athletics
Allen Fieldhouse
1651 Naismith Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

The two-story, 26,000-square-foot facility on the east face of the fieldhouse was designed by HOK Sport+Venue+Event of Kansas City, Mo., and opened Jan. 21, 2006.

It houses a hall of fame for Kansas athletes and sports, with a special emphasis on the contributions of James Naismith, inventor of basketball, KU's first basketball coach and a longtime faculty member; and Forrest C. "Phog" Allen, KU's great coach, who played for Naismith. The hall also includes the ticket office; www.kustore.com; and donor, alumni and recruiting meeting rooms.

Building
Bridwell Botany Research Laboratory
2031 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047

Ronald L. McGregor, herbarium director 1954-88, oversaw a huge expansion of the botanical collections founded by Francis H. Snow, KU's first professor of natural history. To accommodate it, the collection was moved from Snow Hall to this 9,000-square-foot redbrick building in the West District, designed by George Beal, in 1966.

The research laboratory and herbarium are affiliated with the Biodiversity Institute.

Building
Broadcasting Hall KPR
1120 E 11th St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

Opened in September 2003, the building houses Kansas Public Radio, a consortium of Kansas public-radio stations of which KANU 91.5-FM is the flagship.

It has five production studios, a music library, and a performance hall seating 50. It was funded by donations from Hortense Oldfather, the Sunderland Foundation and the Endowment Association; von Achen Chartered Architects designed the structure, which adjoins the Baehr Audio-Reader Center.

Building
Budig Hall/Hoch Auditoria
1455 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

Named for Gene A. Budig, chancellor 1981-94, and dedicated Oct. 31, 1997, it replaced the building that was designed in the Collegiate Gothic style by State Architect Charles D. Cuthbert and that opened as University Auditorium in 1927; it was named in 1938 for former Kansas Gov. Edward W. Hoch (1905-09).

Building
Burge Union
1565 Irving Hill Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

The original Burge Union, which opened in 1979, was razed in 2016. This new building, also named for longtime director of the KU unions Frank R. Burge, replaces it.

Building
Capitol Federal Hall
1654 Naismith Drive
Lawrence , KS 66045

The four-story Capitol Federal Hall, home of the School of Business, opened in June 2016. The $65.7 million, 166,500-square-foot structure, east of Allen Fieldhouse on Naismith Drive, was designed by Gensler of Chicago, partnered locally by Gastinger Walker Harden + BeeTriplett Buck of Kansas City.

Building
Carruth-O’Leary Hall
1246 West Campus Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

This building opened in 1955 as a men's residence hall and was converted in 1965 to offices and classrooms for academic departments including English, classics, and Romance languages.

Pages


One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
—ALA
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times