A-Z: L

Building
Learned Hall
1530 W. 15th St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The first building in the Engineering Complex, it is of yellow-brick and crab-orchard limestone and was designed by Brinkman & Hagan. When it opened in 1963 it was named for Stanley Learned (1902-95), a Lawrence native, 1924 civil engineering graduate and KU benefactor who was president and CEO of Phillips Petroleum Co. in Bartlesville, Okla.

Building
Lewis Residence Hall
1530 Engel Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

This hall was partly funded by the estate of Lawrence merchant and philanthropist Luther N. Lewis (1865-1933) and his widow, Lucene Barker Lewis, who died in 1956; both attended KU in the 1880s.

It opened in spring 1960 as a women's hall; major renovations were done in 1998-99. It now houses men and women; each floor, or “house,” honors a person or tradition of excellence at KU. In 1983 the adjoining Ekdahl Dining Commons, named for longtime food services director Lenoir Ekdahl and known as "Mrs. E's," opened.

 

Building
Library Annex
1880 Westbrooke Drive
Lawrence, KS 66044

The annex, designed by PGAV Architects of Westwood and opened in 2006, can house up to 1.6 million volumes from the KU Libraries’ collections. The climate-controlled storage area has nearly 7,900 square feet of shelving in units 35 feet tall. Materials stored here are cataloged and retrievable on request within 24 hours.

Building
Lied Center
1600 Stewart Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

The center, which opened in September 1993, was built largely with $10 million from the Lied Foundation Trust and is dedicated to Ernst M. and Ida K. Lied, parents of Ernst F. Lied (d. 1980). The younger Lied attended KU 1923-25; he owned a car dealership in Omaha and was a real-estate investor in Las Vegas.

Building
Lindley Hall
1475 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

Completed in 1943, the limestone hall was named for Ernest H. Lindley, chancellor 1920-39, who died shortly after retiring. It is sited on the crest of Mount Oread traversed by the Oregon Trail, denoted by a historical marker. Its Art Moderne design was by State Architect Roy Stookey, and limestone bas reliefs above the main doors are by sculptor Bernard “Poco” Frazier.

Artwork
Lindley Hall Relief Sculptures
Lindley Hall
Lawrence, KS

Bernard “Poco” Frazier. 1942

Elements of Art Moderne and Art Deco combine on the facade of Lindley Hall. Two three-story columns mark the main entry, and three inset limestone bas-reliefs of geologists and engineers are executed in a socialist-realist style.

Building
Lippincott Hall
1410 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

This Greco-Roman columned stone building was designed by State Architect John F. Stanton and dedicated Nov. 3, 1905. By student request it was named for James Woods Green, for 41 years (1879-1919) the beloved dean of the School of Law. In 1978 a new, much enlarged law building was erected west of Murphy Hall on 15th Street.


One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
—ALA
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times