A-Z: P

Building
Gertrude Sellards Pearson Residence Hall (GSP)
500 W. 11th St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

Opened in 1955 as a women's residence hall, GSP is named for Gertrude Sellards Pearson, a 1901 alumna who with her husband, Joseph R. Pearson, in 1945 donated money to supplement the construction of five residence and scholarship halls. It now forms a single living unit connected by a crosswalk with Corbin, 420 W. 11th St., a women's hall.

Building
Grace Pearson Scholarship Hall
1335 Louisiana St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

Funded by the gift of Joseph R. and Gertrude Sellards Pearson and named in memory of his niece, it is adjacent to and mirrors Douthart Hall, also designed by Raymond Coolidge of Topeka. The three-story brick building opened in fall 1955 as a women’s hall, but in fall 1960 it became a men’s hall. It has four-person suites and common living and dining areas.

Building
Joseph R. Pearson Hall (JRP)
1122 West Campus Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

One of five residence and scholarship halls funded by a 1945 bequest from Joseph R. and Gertrude Sellards Pearson, it was designed by State Architect John E. Brink and opened in January 1959 as a men’s hall; it closed in the early 1990s.

Building
Parker Hall
1930 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047

This building, also attached to Moore Hall, was dedicated March 26, 1968, as a U.S. Geological Survey facility. The USGS moved to other offices in 1989, and Parker now houses Kansas Geological Survey offices including energy research and stratigraphic research. It is named for Glenn L. Parker, an alumnus and chief hydraulic engineer for the USGS 1939-46.

Building
Parrott Athletic Center
1555 Irving Hill Road
Lawrence, KS 66045

The Parrott facility, completed in 1970 and renovated in 1993, houses Kansas Athletics Inc. offices for senior administrative and business staff, Media Relations, and the Williams Educational Fund.

Building
Pearson Scholarship Hall
1426 Alumni Place
Lawrence, KS 66044

Gertrude Sellards Pearson (1880-1968), a 1901 alumna, and her husband, Joseph R. Pearson (1880-1955), of Corsicana, Texas, donated $200,000 in June 1945 for five residence and scholarship halls. Raymond Coolidge, a 1924 graduate and former Kansas state architect, designed this brick building. It houses men in two-person suites and opened in fall 1952; a renovation was completed in 1992. The hall is named for Pearson.

Building
Pharmaceutical Chemistry Laboratories
2097 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047
This one-story building of laboratories and offices was built in 1968 and acquired by the university from KU Endowment in June 1991. It is part of the Higuchi Biosciences Center.
Artwork
Phog Allen
Allen Fieldhouse
Lawrence, KS

Kwan Wu, 1997

This bronze of KU coaching great Forrest C. “Phog” Allen, dressed in an athlete’s sweatsuit and holding a basketball, is 8 feet 8 inches tall. It is mounted facing east on a granite base at the entrance to the Booth Family Hall of Athletics on the east side of Allen Fieldhouse.

Courtyard
Pioneer Cemetery
Irving Hill Road and Constant Avenue
Lawrence, KS

Chancellor Franklin Murphy and his two daughters “rediscovered” Pioneer Cemetery during a spring 1952 walk on undeveloped property west of Iowa Street and south of Irving Hill Road.

His interest piqued, he asked the KU Endowment Association to negotiate with the City of Lawrence to acquire the land, which the association did for $1 in May 1953.

Artwork
Prairie Formation
East of Blake Hall
Lawrence, KS

James Bass, 1981

When Topeka artist James Bass (b. 1933) created this welded bronze piece, he said, he was endeavoring “to reconcile the visual landscape of the 20th century with the textures and forms of the Kansas landscape.” The piece, 7 feet 2 inches tall and almost 4 feet wide, was donated by the Pi Deuteron chapter of Phi Gamma Delta to commemorate its centennial May 2, 1981.

Building
Price Computing Center
1001 Sunnyside Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

This concrete building, designed by Hollis & Miller of Overland Park and dedicated Oct. 14, 1978, cost $4 million. It consolidated academic and data-management computer services from other buildings, notably Summerfield Hall. It houses Information Technology staff and services including enterprise applications, KU data center infrastructure, and IT security.

Building
Public Safety Building
1501 Crestline Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045

The KU Public Safety Office moved from Carruth-O’Leary Hall to the former Printing Services Building on west campus in spring 2006, after renovations.

The 32,000-square-foot building, designed by Glober & Newcomb of Topeka and opened in April 1968. Its warehouse is used to store catalogs and other publications and University Press books. KU's entomological collections and staff offices are housed here.

Building
School of Pharmacy Building
2010 Becker Drive
Lawrence, KS 66047

Capping the observance of the School of Pharmacy’s 125th year was the dedication Oct. 22, 2010, of its new building on west campus.

Artwork
The Pioneer
South of Fraser Hall
Lawrence, KS

Frederick C. Hibbard, 1904

The first sculpture on campus, The Pioneer was a 1905 gift of Simeon B. Bell of Wyandotte County, Kan., a physician and real-estate speculator. In memory of his late wife, Bell donated land and funding for the Eleanor Taylor Bell Memorial Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., which became the University of Kansas School of Medicine and the University of Kansas Hospital.


One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
—ALA
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times