A-Z: S

Building
Sabatini Multicultural Resource Center
1299 Oread Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

This 7,000-square-foot, $2.7 million building on the north side of the Kansas Union was dedicated April 25, 2008, and named in honor of Lisetta and Carmine Sabatini, parents of donors Frank Sabatini, who holds KU degrees in business and law, and Nella Sabatini Dinolfo.

It was funded by a $1 million gift from the Sabatini Family Foundation of Topeka, student fees and other university sources. Designed by Gould Evans Associates, it houses staff and program offices, an auditorium, and academic support and study rooms for students.

Artwork
Salina Piece
Youngberg Hall
Lawrence, KS

Dale Eldred, 1969

This large steel sculpture — 35 feet tall, 24 feet wide and weighing more than 30 tons — is by sculptor Dale Eldred (1933-93) and was a gift to the Spencer Museum of Art from Mr. and Mrs. John M. Simpson, who had exhibited it at their home in Salina, Kan.

Building
School of Pharmacy Building
2010 Becker Drive
Lawrence, KS 66047

Capping the observance of the School of Pharmacy’s 125th year was the dedication Oct. 22, 2010, of its new building on west campus.

Building
Sellards Scholarship Hall
1443 Alumni Place
Lawrence, KS 66044
One of the three scholarship halls funded by the 1945 gift of Joseph R. Pearson of Corsicana, Texas, and his wife, Gertrude Sellards Pearson, a 1901 alumna, it is named in honor of her family. The Georgian-style brick hall on the southeast edge of the Brynwood Manor estate opened in fall 1952. It houses women in four-person suites.
Artwork
Seventh Decade Garden IX-X
Spencer Museum of Art
Lawrence, KS

Louise Nevelson, 1971

This aluminum piece, painted black and mounted on the north promenade of the Spencer Museum of Art, is by Louise Nevelson and was purchased by the Spencer Museum in 1983 with support from the Price R. & Flora Reid Foundation, the Spencer Fund, KU Endowment and the National Endowment for the Arts. It is 8 feet tall, 1 foot 10 inches wide and 2 feet 6 inches deep and is mounted on a base approximately 2 feet square.

Building
Shankel Structural Biology Center
2034 Becker Drive
Lawrence, KS 66047

The center, originally dedicated Oct. 15, 2004, was renamed in honor of longtime professor and administrator Delbert M. Shankel on April 15, 2010.

Its original centerpiece was an 800-megahertz magnetic resonance spectrometer for use in medicinal and pharmaceutical chemistry research. A $22.2-million, 44,000-square-foot addition to the west side was dedicated Oct. 23, 2008. Two new wings house the Specialized Chemistry Center and the labs and students of Blake Peterson, a Kansas Bioscience Authority Eminent Scholar.

Building
Shop Facility
1735 Westbrooke Drive
Lawrence, KS 66047

This concrete and brick building, completed in summer 2007, was designed by Kenneth O. von Achen Chartered Architects. It houses shops for electricians, plumbers and painters; a recycling transfer facility; warehouse storage; a boat-storage area for the Kansas Biological Survey; and a geophysics shop. The $3.7 million project included an addition to the Facilities Operations Warehouse to the south.

Building
Simons Biosciences Research Laboratories
2093 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047
The research lab, dedicated May 6, 1996, and part of the Higuchi Biosciences Center, is named for Dolph Simons Sr., longtime publisher of the Lawrence Journal-World newspaper and a key figure in bringing distinguished chemist Takeru Higuchi to the university.
 
The $8.9 million building, designed by Glenn Livingood Penzler Miller Architects of Lawrence, houses laboratories and other research space, an auditorium, conference rooms and offices for researchers focused on cancer-fighting drugs.
Building
Smissman Research Laboratories
2099 Constant Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66047
The $1.1 million research center was designed by Hazard, Van Doren & Stallings of Topeka and dedicated May 5, 1978. It is named for Edward E. Smissman (1925-74), professor and chair of medicinal chemistry and University Distinguished Professor, and is part of the Higuchi Biosciences Center in west campus.
Building
Smith Hall
1300 Oread Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

Dedicated Oct. 8, 1967, Smith Hall houses the religious studies department, faculty and administrative offices, classrooms and the William J. Moore Library. It occupies the site of Myers Hall, which had housed the Department of Religion since 1907.

Building
Snow Hall
1460 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

State Architect Charles Cuthbert and H.H. Lane of the zoology department collaborated to design this Indiana limestone building in a modified Collegiate Gothic style. It housed the departments of botany, zoology, entomology and bacteriology; the renowned entomological collection of natural history professor and chancellor Francis H. Snow; the botanical collection; classrooms; and labs. 

Building
Spahr Engineering Library
1532 W. 15th St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The yellow-brick library, designed by Gould Evans Associates of Lawrence, was begun in 1984 and dedicated May 5, 1988. It is named for Charles E. Spahr, a 1934 engineering alumnus, emeritus chair and CEO of Standard Oil Co. of Ohio and KU benefactor who with his wife made a major endowment to the library.

Building
Spencer Museum of Art
1301 Mississippi St.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The museum, dedicated in September 1977, was built with funds from the Kenneth A. and Helen F. Spencer Foundation. It is named for Helen Foresman Spencer, a student in the 1920s who married Kenneth A. Spencer, a 1926 graduate who founded a chemical company and the Midwest Research Institute in Kansas City, Mo. Like the Spencer Research Library, which she also funded, the museum was designed by architect Robert Jenks of Kansas City, a KU classmate of the Spencers, and built of white Indiana limestone.

Building
Spencer Research Library
1450 Poplar Lane
Lawrence, KS 66045

This neoclassical building, which opened in 1968, honors Kenneth A. Spencer (1902-60), a 1926 graduate who founded the Spencer Chemical Co. and the Midwest Research Institute of Kansas City, Mo. The library was built with a grant from his widow, Helen Foresman Spencer, who attended KU, and the family foundation.

Building
Spooner Hall
1340 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The university’s first library, this Oread limestone and red sandstone building was designed in the Romanesque Revival style by Kansas City architect Henry van Brunt, who also designed the first chancellor’s residence immediately east of it. Both were funded by an 1891 bequest of Boston leather merchant and philanthropist William B. Spooner, uncle of Francis H. Snow, an original faculty member and the fifth chancellor.

Building
Sprague Apartments
1400 Lilac Lane
Lawrence, KS 66044

The apartment building was funded by a bequest from Elizabeth Sprague (1874-1960), head of the home economics department 1914-41, in memory of her sister Amelia, an artist and designer. Retired faculty members live in the 10 units of the redbrick building, completed in 1960.

Building
St. Andrews Office Facility
1515 St. Andrews Drive
Lawrence , KS

PKG Design Group of Lawrence built this 34,000-square-foot building in 1980 as the corporate headquarters for Maupintour Inc., an international travel agency. The university purchased it for $3.2 million in 1998 to consolidate its continuing education programs and offices. In 2014, after Continuing Education moved most of its programs to the Edwards Campus, it was renamed; it now houses Design & Construction Management, the Office of Institutional Research & Planning, the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, and the Kansas Fire & Rescue Training Institute.

Building
St. Andrews Research Facility
1617 St. Andrews Drive
Lawrence , KS 66047

KU Center for Research Inc. purchased this 11,700-square-foot building, west of Bob Billings Parkway and Kasold Drive, in 2013 to house the School of Education’s Center for Public Partnerships & Research. That center is part of the Achievement & Assessment Institute, founded in 2012 to build partnerships and programs that support the success of young children, school-aged children, adults, and publicly funded agencies. Its four research centers also support research and job-training opportunities for KU students.

Artwork
St. George and the Dragon
Twente Hall
Lawrence, KS

Marjorie Whitney, 1932

Above the main entry of the former Watkins Memorial Hospital, which opened in 1932, is a large limestone relief depicting St. George slaying the Dragon, representing disease. It was designed by Professor Marjorie Whitney, a 1929 alumna and chair of KU’s Department of Design (1940-68). Other Whitney ornamentation on Twente includes a sculpted door and bas-reliefs of animals, garlands and flowers on the tower.

Building
Stauffer-Flint Hall
1435 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045

The building houses the William Allen White School of Journalism & Mass Communications; administrative and faculty offices; classrooms; the Bremner Editing Center; the Kansas Scholastic Press Association; the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism; the Kansas Journalism Institute, and the William Allen White Foundation.

Building
Stephenson Scholarship Hall
1404 Alumni Place
Lawrence, KS 66044

Opened in fall 1951, the hall houses men in two-person suites. Designed by Raymond Coolidge, it was partly funded by Mrs. Lyle Stephenson in memory of her husband, a Kansas City insurance salesman and amateur entomologist. It was built on the eastern edge of the Brynwood estate property obtained from Acacia fraternity by Olin Templin in 1939.

Building
Stouffer Place Apartments
1835 Ousdahl Road
Lawrence, KS 66047

Stouffer Place Apartments, opened in fall 2018 as part of the Central District development, comprises two buildings designed by Treasnor Architects of Lawrence. It has 708 beds and features either two-bedroom/two-bath or four-bedroom/four bathroom suites, full kitchen with dishwasher, and laundry facilities in each unit. Its budget was $58 million

Building
Strong Hall
1450 Jayhawk Blvd.
Lawrence, KS 66045
Strong Hall is the main administration building for the Lawrence campus. It houses the offices of the chancellor, provost and registrar; the dean of the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences; director of Graduate Studies; senior vice provost for academic affairs; and vice provosts for administration and finance, faculty development, student affairs, and undergraduate studies.
 
Building
Sudler Annex
1132 W. 11th St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

This building was originally the garage of the home bequeathed to KU by the estate of Dr. Mervin T. Sudler (1874-1956), Lawrence physician, professor of anatomy, and dean of the Medical School 1921-24. The adjacent home, built in 1927, is now the Max Kade Center for German-American Studies.

Building
Summerfield Hall
1300 Sunnyside Ave.
Lawrence, KS 66045

When it was dedicated April 9, 1960, this five-story yellow-buff brick building, designed by State Architect John Brink, was notable for the glass curtain wall on its south face. Summerfield was initially designed to house the University Computation Center, superseded in 1978 by the Price Computing Center to the east on Sunnyside Ave. It occupies the site of eight World War II temporary buildings called Sunnyside Apartments and used by married students. A five-story addition, designed by Nearing and Staats of Mission and built by private donations, was dedicated Nov. 4, 1983.  

Building
Sunflower Apartments
1021 Missouri St.
Lawrence, KS 66044

These 19 two-bedroom units provide one-year housing for new faculty, unclassified staff, postdoctoral fellows and visiting scholars. The brick duplexes were built in 1955.


One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
—ALA
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times