This hall has 12 suites comprising bedrooms and study areas. It opened in 1954 and was largely funded by the gift of Burt Chronister of Kansas City, Kan., in memory of his wife, Ava Douthart Chronister, a 1901 graduate, and her sister Lela Douthart, an 1899 alumna. The architect was Raymond Coolidge.
Douthart was built on the site of the original chancellor’s residence, designed by Kansas City architect Henry van Brunt, who also designed Spooner Library, immediately to its west. After “The Outlook” became the chancellor’s residence in 1939, the home became a scholarship hall, first for men and then for women, and was named for longtime languages professor William H. Carruth. In 1953, the building was declared structurally unsound and demolished.