Bequeathed to KU by the estate of Dr. Mervin T. Sudler (1874-1956), Lawrence physician, professor of anatomy, and dean of the Medical School 1921-24, this limestone house was built for him in 1927 by the Kansas City architectural firm of Buckley & van Brunt.
It formerly housed Audio-Reader and Architectural Services. The nearby garage, known as "the Shack," housed KJHK, the student radio station, from 1975 to 2010. It had been built in around 1860 by James Lane, a Lawrence pioneer and abolitionist who was one of the first two senators from Kansas after statehood was granted in 1861 and a Union general in the Civil War.
The home was renovated and opened in April 1992 as the center, which is supported by a foundation in New York established by pharmaceutical pioneer Max Kade (1882-1967). It has an apartment for a visiting professor, a library and a conference room.