Self Residence Hall

1620 Engel Road Lawrence, KS 66045

The northern of two five-story, freshman-focused residence halls designed by Treanor Architects of Lawrence, it houses about 350 men and women in single-, two- and four-person suites; it is part of a quadrangle with Oswald, Templin, Lewis, Ellsworth, and Hashinger halls. Connecting it to the new Oswald Residence Hall to the south is Daisy Hill Commons, an academic service center and community kitchen that provides gathering spaces for all residence-hall students to socialize and study. The $47.8 million project opened in fall 2015. 

It is named for Madison Self (1921-2013), known as “Al,” and his wife, Lila (1922-2013). Native Kansans, they met as KU students and married in 1943, the year he earned his bachelor’s in chemical engineering.  He founded Bee Chemical Co. in 1947 and co-founded the R&D firm Tioga International in 1989.

The Selfs are KU’s most generous donors, giving more than $44 million and creating the Madison A. and Lila Self Graduate Fellowship, the Self Engineering Leadership Fellows Program, the Mossberg Pharmacy Professorship, and the Society of Self Fellows.


Nearby Parking