Opened in 1923 as the first residence hall at KU, the women’s hall was named in honor of Alberta Corbin, an 1893 alumna and professor of German who was a suffragist leader, adviser of women, and an advocate of women’s housing.
The original, south building, designed by State Architect Ray Gamble in the English colonial style, adjoins the site of the university’s first building, North College (1866). In 1951 North Corbin, housing 180 more women, opened; in 1958 the buildings were connected, and both were renovated in the 1990s.
A $13.5-million restoration and updating of the main entry, public spaces, student rooms, and mechanical, plumbing, and electrical systems was completed in fall 2018. It has 149 rooms in a mix of singles, doubles, and triples, and it is the only residence hall restricted to women. The Student Housing Department is based in Corbin.
Corbin Residence Hall
420 W. 11th St.
Lawrence, KS 66045