The redbrick classical-style building, designed by Kiene & Bradley Architectural Partnership of Topeka, was dedicated May 14, 1983, in the centennial year of the Alumni Association.
The fieldhouse, which opened March 1, 1955, is named for Forrest C. "Phog" Allen, the notable KU basketball coach who played for and was trained by James Naismith, the game's founder, a longtime KU professor of physical culture and its first basketball coach.
At the suggestion in 1953 of Chancellor Franklin D. Murphy, this large cast-stone fountain was purchased with $1,300 in private funds from the Erkins Studio in New York.
Increasing demand for both educational and recreational sports facilities spurred the decision in the late 1990s to build a new student center. The $17-million facility south of Watkins Memorial Health Center, funded by student fees, was dedicated Sept. 25, 2003.
Named for Koli K. "K.K." Amini, a 1949 petroleum engineering graduate whose gift of $1 million funded its construction, the hall was built in 1992. It is coed, housing students in three- or four-person suites.
Named for Margaret Wenski Amini, 1946 journalism graduate who with her husband, K.K. Amini, gave $1.5 million for its construction, the hall opened in 2000. It houses women and is the architectural twin of the adjacent K.K. Amini Scholarship Hall for men.
The $31-million football complex adjacent to David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium opened in August 2008.
The center is named for Dana, a 1959 business graduate, and Sue Anderson of Los Angeles and their family, longtime KU supporters and chief donors for the $8 million, 42,000-square-foot facility.
Dedicated Oct. 7, 1989, it is named in honor of Fred and Marian Anschutz, parents of Philip Anschutz, a 1961 business alumnus and entrepreneur in telecommunications, entertainment and media companies, sports teams and arenas, railroads, and real estate.
Statues of six historic Jayhawks, funded by alumnus James Ascher Sr. and his wife, Mary Ellen, with additional support from the Pi Deuteron Chapter of Phi Gamma Delta, stand on pedestals at the south edge of the plaza by the Kansas Union.
This garden on the grounds of the Baehr Audio-Reader Center contains raised beds with fragrant herbs, flowers, and plants with distinctive textures — like Lambs Ear — that stimulate the senses and invite visitors to touch them.
The Audio-Reader Center opened in November 1988 after the original 1910 building—formerly the Phi Kappa Theta fraternity house—was renovated by von Achen Chartered Architects.
Bailey Hall, completed in 1900, was designed by John G. Haskell and built in response to surging enrollments in chemistry and pharmacy that made the 1883 Medical Building (known later as “the Shack”), also designed by Haskell, too small and outdated.